I want a FAX machine.

roger

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 07:31 pm
Copy/Fax machines are down to a range between 60 and 80 dollars, which sounds okay. Does anybody have a clue about power consumption. What they use when running is unimportant, but at idle, and functioning as a telephone, do they use more power?

Oh, it looks like Brother is the hot tip in that price range. I'm open to suggestion, of course.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,344 • Replies: 12
No top replies

husker

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 07:44 pm
here is a cool little tool
click here
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 07:49 pm
roger, look what kind of toner they're using and how expensive it is
to replace. The cheapest fax machines have sometimes the most
expensive toners. Also check how may copies you can make before
the toner needs to be replaced.

I have a HP at home, no problems, but I don't use it that often either.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 08:07 pm
I use a HP 6310 AIO cause it takes up rel little room and its good for many functions . The toner I get from the "Christian Brothers" and same thing with the ink.

I looked at the prices of the inks and toners cause thats the real long term cost. Most units have A"Sleep" mode and turn off after a couple min of non-use. SO the "shelf amps" are low.

Get an AIO just for eliminating all the crap around you. We use network and lasers in the office. They seem to be treatable if something goes wrong. Most all of the AIO's are, disposable rather than fixable so you have an expenditure of about 150$(and Staples is always having deals and 50$ trade-ins) so, think AIO and you can get a pretty good unit for 100$ after trade-in.

and thats all I gotta say about that..
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 08:16 pm
Why not just use your PC as a fax and forget the whole issue of parasitic loads and dedicated machines? For a fact I'll never buy another ink-jet HP all in one. I've had a few and they have all been pieces of short-lived crap.

HP lasers are still OK, but Samsung kicks HP's ass for low-end lasers.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 08:48 pm
We had a fax/telephone in our studio office, mine personally actually, and I left it there when I left. Don't remember the brand, and it's out of date now anyway. The fax expense was the least of our worries... compared to say heat and gallery lights.

I've friends that fax via their computers and from my end, it's annoying. I have to call them to switch it on first. This may also be obsolete, in that maybe things are different recently. That would also be different with people who are always checking their emails.

We used to like faxing, in that you can send a quick sketch, no big deal.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 08:55 pm
Quote:
Yes, there are a few places online that allow you to send a free fax, no strings attached. You don't need a fax machine, you don't need fax software, you don't have to give anyone your credit card number. My favorite is FaxZero, which lets you send a fax to any fax machine in the United States (including Puerto Rico) or Canada for free. All you need is a computer on the Internet and a valid e-mail address. Faxzero is web-based, so you can access it with a PC, Mac or Linux based computer.

Here's how it works... First visit FaxZero.com and fill out the fax form. Enter your e-mail address and carefully type the Confirmation Code. (This prevents malicious users and automated bots from abusing the system.) Then type the text of your fax (for a quick text-based fax) or attach a file. You can send plain text, PDF, Microsoft Word (DOC), or an Excel spreadsheet (XLS) file. Ready to send? Whack the Send Free Fax Now button!

A confirmation message will then be sent to your e-mail address. Your fax won't be transmitted until you click the link in that message. You'll receive an e-mail confirming that the fax was either delivered, or that it failed for some reason.

Free Internet Faxing... Really?
Yes, it's really free. The service is supported by advertising on the cover page of the free faxes you send. That seems like a small "price" to pay for sending a free fax. You don't have to buy a fax machine, fax software, fax supplies, get a fax line, or pay long distance phone charges. And typically the cover page is mostly blank anyway. Why not fill it up with something useful?

And you needn't be concerned about getting spammed or scammed if you use FaxZero. Here's the FaxZero privacy policy:

We hate junk e-mail and junk faxes, and will absolutely not send any unsolicited e-mail or faxes. Users will receive e-mail messages (such as confirmation messages) as part of the process of using the service. If you subscribe to the FaxZero mailing list, we will send occasional news about the service, which may include advertisments for our marketing partners. Your name, company name, e-mail address, and fax number will appear in the "Sender Information" area of the faxes that you send. FaxZero will not share your information, nor information about the people you send faxes to, with marketers or anyone else, unless compelled to do so by court order.
Can I Send Unlimited Free Faxes?
No, the free service provided by FaxZero is limited to 2 faxes per day, and there's a maximum of three pages per fax. If you need to send more than that, you can use the FaxZero Premium service. Sending a premium fax costs $1.79, and there's no ad or FaxZero logo on the cover page, so you may like that for business communications. The number of pages increases from 3 to 10, and there's no 2-fax-per-day limitation

http://askbobrankin.com/send_a_free_fax.html
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 08:55 pm
I'll look into that, CJ. The ones I'm looking at use ink, but same principle. Also, I will check for a sleep mode.

Won't work, Chumly. For too much stuff, I'd have to add a scanner. I had a 12 page form to fax last week, and at Office Max, the charge came to around $20.00. Three faxen like that would have about paid for my own machine, and the copier function would be useful. I don't need either on a daily basis, but at the right price, it would sure be nice.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 09:04 pm
Hi Roger:

I bought a Brother, I think, 7020, which is a printer, scanner, copier. They had a model with a fax for a few dollars more. I didn't buy it because I don't have or want a land line. It's surprising how often you use the other functions when you have them. I get about 1500 pages per toner and the toner costs $70. Not bad, when you think about it. 1500 pages is a lot. I wouldn't go through that in 2 years. So, $35 a year for toner = nothing.

I have scanned in pictures, recipes, letters, you name it... I have copied pages from books, maps, and all sorts of other things. It's absolutely wonderful.

For a few dollars more, you'd have all you ever needed.

Until technology makes another leap forward, of course, and you can do it all from your computer, IPod or cell!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 09:52 pm
Surprising about toner costs, isn't it? My printer is a LaserJet 1020. Got it at 99.99. When it runs out of toner, the best bet may just be to dispose of the printer and have a whole new machine.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 09:54 pm
I know. I have a laser, too. But the injet ink is way more expensive. I don't like inkjet printers. At all.

And mine isn't colour.

Good luck and let us know what you wound up buying.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 10:01 pm
roger wrote:
Surprising about toner costs, isn't it? My printer is a LaserJet 1020. Got it at 99.99. When it runs out of toner, the best bet may just be to dispose of the printer and have a whole new machine.
I get a new ink-jet printer once a year or so for my wife's office. Same reasoning, although this time I got her a Samsung laser printer, highly rated and ultra-cheap.

With my laser machines I have taken to refilling it to get the same result as the recycled toner cartridges. Bulk toner is cheap.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 12:03 am
Okay, Chumly, I'll keep an eye out for the Samsung laser. I'll probably use it less than Mame, but I'll do a comparison on ink vs toner.

Oh, for sure. It's not going to have color.
0 Replies