I've got sunshine on a cloudy day

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 04:12 pm
You're invited to follow along during my backyard rennovation!

We officially started our backyard rennovation this weekend. Here is a portion of what we removed (Mo added for scale - he is just over 4 feet tall) this weekend:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/IMGP1660.jpg

There is still the firewood sized stuff in the backyard (being sawed and split - we decided to add a fireplace to our patio plus we have two fireplaces in the house -- we should have enough wood to last us at least a year or two) plus a couple of smallish piles of debris. This is phase 2 of removal but the most major part consisiting of the tree pruning. This represents about 50% of the decades of neglect we were faced with in our yard.

I welcome your feedback, advice, comments, criticisms, whatever. Mostly I just need a place to blow off steam and rest my weary bones.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,184 • Replies: 11
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 04:16 pm
I approve of the shirt.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 04:35 pm
Cute Mo!

What will you do with the plants with roots? (azalea?)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 05:19 pm
I think they are azeleas but they are truly terrible. They are consinged to the composting plant as far as I'm concerned. I considered replanting but I can't convince myself.

Those actually came from the front yard (they've been sitting in my front yard for two weeks so I dragged them over for composting). They were in an area that really requires something tall or something climbing.

I'm kind of thinking wisteria.....

Other than the trees the only thing I have saved from the backyard are three huge ferns. They are currently resting under a hedge waiting to be replanted.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 05:22 pm
why is Mo the only one working?

RH
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 05:23 pm
hhmmm... hate the idea of throwing out perfectly good shrubs. Even if they are boring azaleas. With a little pruning and in the right spot.....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 05:24 pm
Rockhead wrote:
why is Mo the only one working?

RH

Yeah! He looks about to keel over. He's got quite a lean on him.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 06:29 pm
Cool, I love this stuff! And a new Mo pic as a bonus! Hi, Mo! (Haven't seen a Mo pic in forever it seems like, looks way more grown-up!)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 07:12 pm
Oh gosh. I have some great photos of Mo that were taken recently but I still don't have photoshop on my new computer so they are sitting dormant until I can crop and stuff.

He really is growing.

And he totally worked hard today. I'm a believer in hard work.

Here's a photo of the front of the house from when we moved it -- you can see the scabby azeleas in place...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/house.jpg

I really need something tall in the space between the long window and the little arched window, don't you think? Something drippy and gloopy and smelly? I've been browsing ornamental ironworks for the right doohicky to have something climb on but haven't come across the right solution yet.

I'm still working on a way to hang some geraniums from the little balcony in front and think I'm getting close to finding a way. Tuesday I should be able to trip over to the hardware store to a look-see on some things I need to build what I want.

Right now though, the backyard is the thing. I'm trying to quit fretting about the front.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 07:19 pm
Okay. I can't resist. Here's a photo of Mo with his BFF that I haven't had a chance to work on but that looks pretty good unedited:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/P2293182.jpg
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 08:13 pm
Ah how cute is that. I remember the girl from previous pictures too.
Your house is so great, looks like a gingerbread house from a fairy tale.

Trailing ivy geraniums are so easy to take care of and look gorgeous
on a balcony. I have them hanging down too, and all neighbors comment
on it.
You can get something like this from Home Depot..

http://georgicacreek.1stdibs.com/archives/upload/7793/691/iron_window_box_1_resize-01.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 08:57 pm
Oh, dang, they're cute kids!
0 Replies