To whom can I send pics of weeds to identify them?

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 01:04 pm
Lots of weeds are growing in my lawn. I want to eliminate them as efficiently as possible by identifying them and using the right products.

I've tried to identify them by searching the web. But there's just too much info and similar pictures out there.

I took pics of the weeds growing in my lawn. Do you know to whom I can send them to help me identify them?

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 554 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Francis

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 01:06 pm
You can post them here, as there's people around with pretty good knowledge of plants...
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 03:54 pm
Hi Ajauregurl, You need to get over the lawn thing. Learn to love the weeds, if they are green - just mow them. The stuff you will use to kill the weeds will one end up in your drinking water or poison your local bird and insect populations. Plus. the weeds will just keep coming back. Try and get rid of the lawn and grow plants that are good for environment.

I'm serious, companies like Scott's and Miracle Grow have been poisoning our environment for years and getting rich in the process. At least Google search"organic lawn care" or try "alternatives to lawn".

A good book to get you started is:

Front Yard Gardens: Growing More Than Grass by Liz Primeau
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 04:46 pm
Here is a photo of a very good product that works n a variety of unwanted plants:

http://www.gemplers.com/product.aspx?itemNo=151206&s_kwcid=weed%20puller|976475725
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 05:05 pm
Most broad-leafed weeds are highly susceptible to 2,4-D, which is simply a plant growth hormone that causes these plants to grow so quickly that they starve in a matter of a few days, but does not have the same effect on grasses. As a plant hormone, it has almost no effect on animals, including humans. Tougher, noxious weeds, such as invasive species, may require higher-activity chemicals, but that's not likely. Your local county extension agent should be able to help you quickly and easily and at no charge.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 05:16 pm
Some "weeds" are natives and belong in the ecology more than your lovely planned plants (I say this as a person who does landscape designs), and some exotics can take over a regional landscape, though many exotics aren't all that aggressive. (I am just beginning to get a clue about tumbleweed.) None of us here at a2k can identify all exotic takeover plants sought for identification from all possible a2kers around the globe.

Better to look up on google about "weeds" for your particular area.

Then if you've questions, come back and see if we have any useful comments.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 05:25 pm
Ack, sorry, I had dilated eyes yesterday, missed that this was about lawn weeds.

Refer to comment by Green Witch, please.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 06:29 pm
Tumbleweed, though, is not a part of our native landscape. Rip it out of the ground before it seeds. The thorns only hurt when they're full grown.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 07:15 pm
Oh, yeh, I do get this..

You think I would cultivate it? I'm trying to figure out how to remove it.

Eyes tumbleweed babies...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 03:56 pm
http://www.enature.com/home/

Unfortunately, most of our weeds are imported, brought over in bags of seed grain.
0 Replies