Step a Decade Counter using a Parallel Port?

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 09:28 am
Trying to output through Edit [Moderator]: Link removed to a decade counter to get it to step but I'm having difficulty.

I get a +5V signal coming out of my USBIO and it's going into the clock pin of the decade counter but it wont step, only the first LED stays lit. Must it go through a 555 timer to get a square wave, can this be simulated in software?

Is it possible to step a decade counter from the computer?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 683 • Replies: 1
No top replies

parados

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 11:23 am
Not sure which decade counter you are using but I think most require that clock input to cycle from high to low before it will add to the counter. Putting a constant 5v signal to the clock will do nothing. Put a switch on the 5v signal and turning the switch on and off should cause your counter to increase if the other pins are set correctly.

Yes, you can use the computer to send out a high/low variable signal. It will require some programing to do it. Just hooking up to the USB on a data line and sending ASCII should give you some movement but you won't have much control. (Assuming your chip is fast enough to read the cycles, some might not be.)

Check the data sheet for the counter you are using. It should tell you what conditions need to exist at each pin for the counter to increment and how long the signal has to be down to work as a count.
0 Replies