Can anything be done with a tree stump?

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 05:53 pm
I like some angle to chairs... back if I find a link. (but like that high backed one, elegant,)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 06:00 pm
Oh gosh I LOVE the backgammon board idea. I could probably do it with stain so that the rings still show through. That would be really WOW.

The stump sits kind of in the back corner of the yard so it isn't in the way of anything. It could stay there but it needs to be something other than a stump.

I started pitching ideas to Mr. B tonight. He wants to chop it down for firewood so I have to convince him that something might come of this.

I'll try to get a photo of it tomorrow.....
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 06:10 pm
We had a huge ash tree removed (for insurance purposes). The tree was only about 20 ft from the house and towered about 80 ft. The insurance company kept giving us grief about how they wouldnt pay for any damages if the tree were blown down.

Well, when we removed it, we had the stump ground down and after about 10 years we developed a leak in the basement. It appears that the stump and roots that still remained underground were rotting and creating large cavernous openings that channeled water like PVC pipes. We , within the last year, went in and started tearing out the remaining stump and large roots and then packed some new earth into the cavities . Problem fixed.
Grinding down a stump in a temperate region is merely a short term cosmetic thing. It really doesnt do anything except make a drainage problem where one didnt exist before.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 06:14 pm
Yes to Farmer. Trouble is, root removal is more expensive and people don't want to do it.
0 Replies

spikepipsqueak

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 04:49 am
1 Cut it to table height, nail on a table top so you can put your legs under it then make chairs (as above) out of the big offcut to use round it.

2 Cut it off to a suitable height, hollow it somewhat, put soil in and use the stump itself as a pot for a plant that trails.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 04:57 am
had a smaller stump in the front yard, built a garden around it and gt a nice sundial to sit on the stump
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 06:09 am
littlek, good memory -- I had a tall stump and wanted to put a treehouse on top of it. Turned out it was quite rotten though. The tree trimmers just sawed it off at the base -- it was in the middle of a bunch of ivy and the ivy has covered it pretty well already (in a bit over a year -- ivy will start its growing phase soon enough and then I expect it'll be completely camouflaged before long).
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 07:06 am
That's what I'm worried about -- rot. This thing has been covered in ivy and it might just be rotten.

The tree guy is supposed to get started today so we'll see what happens....
0 Replies