Eyebrows

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 04:02 pm
I couldn't for the life of me figure out where to post this question, so I thought I'd put it here since it's biologically relevant... somewhat.

Don't ask me why but I need to know what happens if you dye your eyebrows. Say you want to disguise yourself by bleaching dark hair blonde and that you wanted to do the eyebrows as well to complete the disguise. Now the hair on your head will eventually grow and you'll lose the blonde-ness, but what about the eyebrows?

I don't remember ever having them cut or trimmed, so would they stay blonde?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,830 • Replies: 22
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 04:10 pm
According to this article http://www.skincare-news.com/articles.php?ArtID=112
you will have to re-apply the dye within a certain time frame.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 04:14 pm
Eyebrows have a different "terminal length" than head-hair -- that is, they grow to a certain length (and not longer), then fall out. They're still going through the growth process, though. The old ones fall out, the new ones fall in. So it'd have to be re-done at intervals, yep.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 04:23 pm
This excessive concern with little eyebrows is a trifle odd.

I don't think soz is looking to disguise herself. I think she's on the vamp.

According to Darwin it is the males who do the vamping.

What's the scientific explanation of the reversal in humans?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 04:55 pm
Re: Eyebrows
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
I don't remember ever having them cut or trimmed, so would they stay blonde?

the natural length of eyebrow hairs is much shorter than that of most of the other hair on your head - the hairs fall out - so you'd have to dye the new hairs that appear.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 06:04 pm
As they appeared one at once or would you wait until the natural ones were proliferating and had overwhemed the vamping aspect.

I can't say I ever paid much attention to eyebrows actually.

I'm not a fussy sort of person.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 06:08 pm
spendius wrote:
I'm not a fussy sort of person.

No kidding!!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 06:11 pm
I might have drawn the line at bushy black eyebrows but only if I was sober and had just come from a conference of glass ceiling busters which is highly unlikely as I give such manifestations of post-modern structuralism a very wide berth.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 05:13 am
I see, so can anybody tell me the relative growth rate of hair on the head compared to eyebrow hair?
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 05:15 am
As with all hair, they have an average length at which they fall out. It has nothing to do with cutting, dying, or bleaching.

Its the same with long-haired dogs and short-haired dogs. The short haired dog has hair strands that (on the average) fall out or break before the average long-haired dog's.

Eyebrow hairs grow much slower than head hair, so if you dye everything together, your head hair will show "roots" long before the eyebrows do.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 05:21 am
Well, it's a bit more complicated that that as there are phases of growth in different areas of human body.

Quote:
A follicle will produce new cells for a certain period of time depending on where it is located on your body. This period is called the growth phase. Then it will stop for a period of time (the rest phase), and then restart the growth phase again.

When the hair follicle enters the rest phase, the hair shaft breaks, so the existing hair falls out and a new hair takes its place. Therefore, the length of time that the hair is able to spend growing during the growth phase controls the maximum length of the hair.

The cells that make the hairs on your arms are programmed to stop growing every couple of months, so the hair on your arms stays short. The hair follicles on your head, on the other hand, are programmed to let hair grow for years at a time, so the hair can grow very long.

Quote:
Ignoring these perceptual differences, human hair seems to grow at a pretty consistent rate of about half a millimeter or so per day, or about half an inch every month (this study quotes a specific rate of 0.44 mm per day). It may grow faster or slower depending on your age, your genetics and your hormonal state (pregnancy seems to have an affect on hair), but half a millimeter per day is a good average.

What this means is that the maximum growth rate for hair is about 6 inches (15 cm) per year. If you have short hair and are thinking, "It sure would be nice if I had hair down to my waist," then you are going to have about a four-year wait. ­
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 06:30 pm
Does that apply to pubic hair?

6 inches a year can't possibly be true unless it's being worn away all the time. Otherwise ladies would look silly in mini-skirts and they don't. Unless they are over 75 I mean.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 12:35 pm
Thank you very much. That's given me a good idea of what's realistic and what's not.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 12:54 pm
I dye my eyebrows all the time, whether I'm doing a touch up to the roots, or my entire head.

So, that's every 2 weeks.

I don't know how fast my eyebrows grow, but after 2 weeks there's always a grey one in there somewhere.

I guess they grow as fast as women seem to need to pluck them.

BTW, when you're dying them, use a Q-tip, and make sure you get it all the way to the root.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 11:49 am
Chai wrote:
BTW, when you're dying them, use a Q-tip, and make sure you get it all the way to the root.

Thanks for the info, but I'm not dying anything. I just needed to know the vague details for a piece of fiction I'm writing, where a character bleaches his hair as part of his disguise. It's what happens when you stop continuously bleaching it that got me wondering.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 12:02 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Chai wrote:

Thanks for the info, but I'm not dying anything. I just needed to know the vague details for a piece of fiction I'm writing, where a character bleaches his hair as part of his disguise. It's what happens when you stop continuously bleaching it that got me wondering.

Well, make sure your character uses a Q-tip then! Very Happy
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 12:03 pm
oh....and make sure I'm mentioned in your credits.

My thanks to Chai Tea, regarding advice on bleaching of the eyebrows.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 12:25 pm
Chai wrote:
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Chai wrote:

Well, make sure your character uses a Q-tip then! Very Happy

Even if he does, the reader will never know as I want the reader to think he's someone else.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 12:43 pm
oh sure, just toss me aside like an old sock.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 12:49 pm
Chai wrote:
oh sure, just toss me aside like an old sock.

Not my fault. You jumped the gun completely.
0 Replies