BBB's new Maddy

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 02:27 pm
Our new Maddy arrived home after a 35 mile car ride during which he barked almost all of the way. When I took him out of the crate, I found he had crapped all over the crate floor and on himself. First thing to do when he got home was to give his lower half a bath. Welcome home, Maddy.

Dolly doesn't know what to make of this new Maddy. She just sits and watches him as he sniffs out the entire house. They have sniffed each other yet and they are not playing together. That will happen after Dolly gets used to him. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for them to become good buddies.

The good thing is that Dolly is so distracted that she's not whimpering and pacing the house looking for her old Maddy. I have not cried since the new Maddy arrived, which is good distraction for me, too.

The new Maddy is very different from our old Maddy. Completely different personality and looks. He is 4-1/2 months old with silky hair. He will be smaller that old Maddy, which will be easier for me to handle.

A few minutes ago, Maddy found the padded window ledge I installed that was old Maddy's favorite spot to watch the neighborhood. New Maddy is tuckered out and napping on the ledge. Dolly is keeping an eye on him from under my computer desk.

I'm taking Maddy to the Vet at 4 p.m. for his first checkup and to get his ID chip installed.

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,623 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 02:29 pm
Good for you, BBB

(and dolly)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 03:03 pm
Viva le roi.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 09:45 pm
Sounds so cute. When do we get to see pictures?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 03:51 am
I hope your new puppy-friend brings you much happiness.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 09:03 am
Maddy 2
Dolly is slowly adjusting to her "new Maddy" but is very wary of a silly noisy puppy. It seems to be helping her because she had been whimpering and pacing through the house looking for her Maddy, and she hasn't done that since Maddy 2 arrived.

It's helping me, too. I haven't cried as much. Early mornings, when we first wake up, is the hardest time for me. That was when we all played in bed before the dogs went outside to pee. Maddy 2 is making it easier for both Dolly and me.

I took Maddy 2 to the vet yesterday afternoon to have a exam. He's in good condition. The entire Vet staff applauded Maddy 2 when he came out of the exam room. They were so glad they had another Maddy for Dolly.

I will have to have my son take some pictures. It's been so long since I used my camera, I will have to relearn how to post pictures to my computer. My daughter, Butrflynet, is the expert in doing that.

Right now, Dolly and Maddy 2 are in the back yard watching the flock of wrens eat the sunflower seeds I put out for them every morning. Maddy has never seen birds before and he is fascinated by them.

BBB
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 10:45 am
I just saw a squirrel trying to drag an entire sub roll away under the tree at the library. It was funny to watch him trying to abscond with this treasure that was longer than he was. I wonder what Maddy would have made of that.

Puppies are like babies - so fun to watch them discover. When my first dog died, I was so upset I didn't get another for two years. And then I felt the same way about the name - I wanted to name my new dog Lark- my other dog had been Larkin. But my kids wouldn't let me.

Anyway - I debated getting a puppy - so much work - as you've discovered - but I think it's a good decision. They just bring such energy and new life and amusement along with all the work - that when you're grieving another animal - it's a wonderful distraction.

Good luck with him.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 11:06 am
aidan
Aidan, I know what you mean. I had to immediately get a Maddy 2 for Dolly because she was miserable with Maddy 1's loss. It was the right thing to do for both of us.

Dolly is beginning to warm up to Maddy 2. When he gets too close, she sometimes will growl softly and give a soft nip on his neck, a warning that she's not ready yet to snuggle. She's very curious about him and I expect by the end of today, their first full day together, she will begin playing with him. Typical male-female relationships, don't you think?

I haven't gotten this much exercise since Maddy 1 was a puppy. I have to have time outs to spare my aching back, but the exercise is very good for me and badly needed---if it doesn't kill me.

BBB
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 01:47 pm
BBB--

Maddy II isn't replacing his namesake. He's enhancing the reputation of the line.

Please pet Dolly for me. She's old enough to need just a bit of supportive peace.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 08:27 am
BBB
It's going to be interesting and challenging to raise Maddy 2. He is nearly 5 months old and has been raised with other dogs and very little socializing contact with people. He and two other Bichons had been sold to dog showers, but they finally backed out of the deal with the breeder. That's why Maddy wasn't adopted until he was 5 months old. As a result, he has no language recognition skills. Today, after having him nearly two days, he is finally beginning to respond to his name (some times), which took constant repeating to him during that time.

My Maddy1 had an unusually large vocabulary because I talk to my dogs all day in language I would use for humans. No, I'm not nuts. It improves their socializing and training. It's going to take a lot of work and patience to give him language recognition skills.

Maddy2 also has no house training, only kennel experience. He peed on the carpet upon awakening this morning because I didn't get him outside fast enough. This surprised me because it was the first time since he arrived and I thought I had lucked out with a dog that only peed outside or on paper. No such luck, apparently.

Maddy2 and Dolly are starting to play when outside. Dolly seems less possessive in the back yard than she does in the house. Maddy has taken over the toy box and Dolly has not challenged him. That surprised me because she always grabbed toys away from Maddy1.

Dolly still is not eating in her usual pattern. She is not moping has much as she was during Maddy1's illness and after his death. I'm hoping this goofy rowdy mutt will raise her spirits and my happy Dolly will reappear.

I didn't cry this morning for the first time since Maddy1's death. Tears still fall, but not so much as long as I don't talk about it. Even so, telling A2Kers about it seems to help me vent my sadness. Thanks for listening.

BBB
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 09:17 am
BBB, I am sure the little puppy will lift your and Dolly's spirits so much. His energy will brighten your days. I am glad you have a Maddy2 and can't wait for pictures.

Have fun!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 07:57 am
Dolly
It is so interesting to watch Dolly change her behavior since goofy Maddy2 arrived. She seems to know that she has a silly puppy to teach. Where should wouldn't go outside to pee unless Maddy1 went with her, she now leads Maddy2 to go outside. A major good change.

Another Maddy1-Dolly habit was to share licking food from a small bowl together. Dolly and Maddy2 now do the same thing without a spat. Another good sign.

Dolly has resumed her usual eating pattern again, which is an indication she is beginning to recover from her loss of Maddy1.

Maddy now recognizes his name and responds to it. He's been wearing Maddy1's collar for a day and is getting used to it. He still doesn't understand what a leash is, but we are working on it.

The neighborhood children have come by to see Maddy2 as they learned of Maddy1's death. Everyone is having a good time. All this doggie affection is helping me, too.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 08:11 am
BBB
I'm laughing with joy. I just let Dolly and Maddy2 in from the back yard. They were excited and started running around, just like Maddy1 used to do in what I called his "Indy 500" running. My kitchen is in the middle of a large living-dining-great room. Maddy1 used to run around and around the kitchen-great room.

What a joy it was to see Dolly and Maddy2 running around, doing the same thing, having a good time. They are bonding.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 08:15 am
BBB
It's finally happened. Dolly and Maddy2 are now best buddies.

BBB
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 10:53 am
I wouldn't call a five-day adjustment "finally".

I think you gave them both enough room and the inevitable happened.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 11:17 am
I was going to counsel against you getting a new dog so quickly. I never could have gotten a new dog right after Sandy died. I also could NEVER use that name again. It's in the hall of doggy fame. But I know that those things are so personal I didn't say anything and hoped for the best.

Now that you've done it and it worked out so well I'm very happy for you. Pretty girls and puppies are just in a class by themselvesÂ…nothing can brighten a room or a day quicker!

I hope you use this new beginning to remind the dogs that there are three dogs in the house and the one named BBB is the alpha of the pack, period. It will be good for you and even better for them. Have fun you lucky "dog"! Laughing
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 01:37 pm
BBB
I left getting to know each other up to Dolly and Maddy2 with only minor intervention. They worked out their relationship and it is successful and a joy to see them playing together, sharing food and water, and the same bed. I couldn't let Dolly suffer and getting a new puppy was the best thing to do for her---and for me. Keeping the Maddy dog name also seemed to help Dolly.

Dolly is eating again and has not cried nor looked for Maddy1. Maddy2 is in dog heaven. Both are getting lots of love and day-long attention. Dolly is teaching Maddy2 that BBB is the pack leader in this home. She's next in charge. Maddy just tries to charm his way into everyone's heart.

I gave the bad news about Maddy1's death to my groomer today. She cried in shock. My monthly housekeeper wept yesterday when she heard the news. Everyone liked Maddy so much. He was the sweetest dog I've ever known. If Maddy2 turns out half as sweet, he will be a winner. Dolly likes him and she's never wrong. No dog can replace Maddy 1 in our hearts, but Maddy2 makes it a lot easier.

BBB
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 08:01 pm
There are some people for whom life cannot be complete without pets. For those people--like you, BBB--there is no point in waiting.

I am so happy for you that things are working out!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 09:10 am
Dolly humped Maddy2
Yesterday, Dolly and Maddy2 were playing "Indy 500" running around and around my kitchen in the center of my great room. Shortly after they settled down, I saw Dolly humping Maddy's head. Maddy didn't mind but I wonder if my Dolly has become confused with the new puppy?

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 10:04 am
I just got back from taking Maddy and Dolly to my groomer. Maddy doesn't have a clue as to what it's all about so I had Dolly there for him. Maddy started barking the minute he was placed in the holding crate. He's still trying to understand being on a leash, but Dolly is teaching him. My groomer said Maddy2 looks like a good dog.

My groomer, said she talked to a vet who said she didn't think Maddy1's collapsed trechea was caused by his collar. She said his spinal failure indicates Maddy1's skeletal structure was probably defective from birth via his family's history. She said I should not blame myself because I used a collar on Maddy1, that it would have happened even if only a harness had been used.

BBB
0 Replies