"Intellectual" is a dirty word.

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 08:21 pm
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
My experience with intellectuals indicates there are two types. One type is narrowly educated on a specific path, usually a profession, often an academic. The other type is widely educated, deeply curious and a life long student.

The first types often have little common sense to take care of all facets of life beyond their interests. The second types may have the same problem, but are more inclined to have some common sense so they don't screw up their lives as much.

Sometimes it is worrisome when intellectuals achieve public policy influence. They don't have real life experience to apply their theories to real life people and circumstances. This has been the complaints about academics. I have known many people who were not exposed to much education but were profoundly wise and full of common sense. Which type is better off for themselves and for the common good?

BBB

Damn fine words.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 08:30 pm
That was one of the best posts I've read in a long time.

BTW, you're spot on about the first type. They make lousy spouses, too (I should know), for exactly the reasons you stated. They may be of some value for the common good, but for themselves...not so much.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 08:34 pm
I repeat;
An intellectual is one who tries to use his or her intellect to work, study, reflect, speculate, or ask and answer questions about a wide variety of different ideas.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 08:48 pm
I haven't followed this all that closely, but am I seeing Foof instructing Roberta?

Blinks, reaches for chair.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 08:55 pm
Ah, but Dys...you're a prime example of the second type!

Those of the first type often try to apply their intellect to a wide variety of issues, but it doesn't take long for others to figure out they don't know what they're talking about outside of their specialized area.

(In fact, we have a few of those right here on A2K, don't we!)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 08:58 pm
dyslexia wrote:
I repeat;
An intellectual is one who tries to use his or her intellect to work, study, reflect, speculate, or ask and answer questions about a wide variety of different ideas.

I believe these are the people targeted by the bigots.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 09:02 pm
I remember an early thread on a2k where I was summarily and with dispatch negated as any kind of possible intellectual.

Well, damn.

On the other hand, I would have made it ok in countries where they were decimating so called intellectuals. Except that I wore glassess, so there, done for.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 09:10 pm
Ya'll misunderestimate the Dys.

He has edjamacation beyond a lot of ya's....

(Sorry pops)

I don't, BTW

RH
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 09:20 pm
Given my choice, I will always go with what I call a true polymath...someone that could not only design a bridge, but also physically build it themselves. I suppose to most people a polymath would fall into the same category as an intellectual, but I see them having different traits...

Intellectuals...thinkers.
Average Joe....doers.
Polymaths....a combo of both.

I have met several highly educated people that are simply dumb as dirt, and just as many uneducated folk that are brilliant....really just depends on what you are looking for...or what you ask of them.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 09:38 pm
I don't believe, nor have I said, that education equals intellectualism. Intellectualism is an attitude based on discovery and analyis with the understanding that one may change one's comphresion of a phenomena. I have a dear friend who has an M.D. and a PhD and was hired by a top ten university because the university felt they were turning out highly trained technical PhD's who were, essentially, ignorant because they had no understanding of any subject (except for engineering/computer science/mathematics/medicine). he developed a program which all candidates were required to complete before being granted their PhD which consisted of Art/Philosophy/History of religion/Literature/History (from Aristophanes to Kurt Vonnegut to Virgin Wolfe).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 09:55 pm
I'm outta there, I've lived my life without V. Wolfe.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 10:03 pm
Me too, huh....

I am now in a time warp, gooogling to catch up... Shocked

Osso?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 10:09 pm
Love a duck if googling gets you to Osso.

Be calm, my sweet. Retain interest in your own mind. And have some ice cream.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 10:30 pm
Dairy is not me friend, but you are...

V wolfe.....
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 10:32 pm
Good for your "dear friend," Dys! That was a very wise thing to do.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 10:35 pm
Dys, my sweet, I doubt that Virginia Wolfe was a virgin for more than a very few years, but moving right along...she and Kurt Vonnegut, Aristophanes, et al, were only mentioned to provide an example of the kind of learning the top ten university felt was necessary to provide a truly well rounded education to those who's field was basically technical. An example, I believe, that follows 2packs definition of someone who not only knows how things work but also knows why they work and how to work them.

Another excellent example is Dys' grandfather. He was only allowed to attend school through third grade because, as a halfbreed and the system felt that he wouldn't need any further education. But by then, he was an avid reader who continued to read for the rest of his life. He read while he was working for the railroad until a train took off one of his arms at which time they fired him because he was of no use to them anymore. He continued to read after coming in from working on his farm and doing the same job farmers with two arms were doing. Some of the devices he built to help his disability would be considered assistive technology these days.

In other words, he was a brilliant man with a curious mind, always ready to learn from others without the need to protect his opinion of himself with a false sense of self importance. His was a truly extraordinary education--an education mostly attained by continually learning whatever he could with whatever was at hand, never attending a college or university. His grandfather had an education that was far more thorough than many college graduates today. Dys would include him in the definition of "intellectual" right along with those brilliant PhD's.

I think that, too often, we tend to define something according to our own experiences rather than looking at the subject rationally and objectively.

The above is only my opinion, written as a person who tends to babble and is obviously not an intellectual. I don't need that title to define myself or my self-worth, which might explain why I don't think of "intellectual" as a dirty word.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 10:50 pm
dyslexia wrote:
I don't believe, nor have I said, that education equals intellectualism.

No, you didn't....and my post was just my random two cents, I'm not trying to argue the "real" meaning of the word.

My vision of an intellectual is something like....a 60's professor, goatee, corduroy suit, smoking a pipe, sitting in his office, walls lined with degrees, discussing with his professor pals, was William Shakespeare "really" William Shakespeare. Not the "intelligent/smart" plumber, cop, or bank teller that tries to gain a deeper understanding of a specific subject, or just things in general, to better themselves or others...in short, someone using their brains.

It's the connotation of the "know it all elitist" that has been attached to the word "intellectual", that causes the knee jerk reactions.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 11:07 pm
Diane wrote:
In other words, he was a brilliant man with a curious mind, always ready to learn from others without the need to protect his opinion of himself with a false sense of self importance.

Awesome.

Yes, by definition, he would be an intellectual...and honestly I suppose that I would be considered by some to also be an int...intell....one of those people, but if anyone ever called me that to my face...ohhh man, it would be on.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 11:20 pm
Intellectualism is important to me, but more so a kind heart.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 11:49 pm
2packs, Dys wouldn't include himself in that category mainly because it would be embarrassing and because he wasn't trying to make a list or to name names, with the exception of GeorgeOB and Thomas who are both apt examples of the word in its very best meaning.

I might be the only one who knows as much about Dys to include him in the category. He has been a farmer, rancher, child protection director and many other things--in other words, the kind of person your definition describes. His grandfather was the most important person in his life.

The negative connotation of an intellectual is, I think, well deserved by those petty tyrants with the elbow patches and the pipe (full of spit) they are always playing with.

You won't come out and describe yourself as an intellectual, neither will Rockhead, but I have a feeling you both fit the description. To me, it's a shame that the word has become almost an insult, because an intellectual is the type of person every society needs.

Chumly, I'm with you. A kind heart is vital, and I am one who would die without knowing plenty of kind hearts. But intellectuals are vital in a different way. I guess too many of them trip up on their own egos--yet GeorgeOB and Thomas are not like that at all. Their mind, education and power of analysis are beyond most of us here. They can tear an arguement apart without leaving the recipient's sense of self shredded. They represent the very best of what an intellectual really is. And on a2k, there are several people from all walks of life who also fit the best meaning of the word.

I'm off to bed. Say goodnight, Gracie.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 12:33:01