"Intellectual" is a dirty word.

fishin

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 07:19 am
Foofie wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Foofie wrote:
O.K., here's my two cents. Anti-intellectualism is part of the popular culture in the U.S. I believe it was put there on purpose . . .

As soon as you had gotten that far, you slipped off the edge into unreasoning conspiracy theory. "Put there" by whom? Are you suggesting that someone, prior to the existence of our contemporary culture, foresaw that culture with sufficient accuracy to implant this anti-intellectual strain, but specifically tailored to appeal to the devotees of an era of mass electronic communications? Not to put to fine a point on it--bullshit.

I haven't the least doubt that right-wing and fundamentalist religious rabble-rousers are delighted with such attitudes, and encourage them where they find them. It is more than a little simple-minded, however, to paint some picture of deep-dyed conspiracy spanning the centuries (and an anti-intellectual streak has been in our society since the beginning) the purpose of which was to dumb-down the populace, and which was so cunningly wrought that it functions as intended in an electronic age, having been cobbled together in a quill, ink and parchment age.

In short, get a grip, will ya?

It's passed down through the centuries with a "wink and a nod," or perhaps just a mild "clearing of one's throat, or a subtle smirk." But, for those that the generalizations of the popular culture serve, they know it must be passed down to the next generation, and it is. The dinner table historically was the medium, before the electronic age (remember the sitcom with Archie Bunker, and all the popular culture generalizations he passed down at the dinner table).

Only from the vantage point of old history can one see it was premeditated, as for example, how feudalism relied on many generalizations of the popular culture to keep the peasants "in their place."

Do you have any evidence that it was PURPOSELY relied on to"keep peasants in their place"? IMO, you are group a number of logical fallacies together to jump to your conclusion. It may very well have been used in some cases but that doesn't make it some sort of historcal conspiracy. There is a difference between an intentaional use and an unwitting one...

But IMO, the issue can be broken down into two smaller components. The first is based on those who portend to be intellectuals but aren't. Many have elevated common journalism opinionists to this level. In this sense, "agreement with" seems to confer "intellectual" status.

The 2nd is due to the venturing of true intellectuals into areas where they have no expertise. This is probably best demonstrated by the elevation of Noam Chomsky by the far-left anarchist types. Chomsky is certianly one of the leading experts in cognitive science but that doesn't make him any sort of expert when it comes to political ventures.

How much "Anti-Intellectualism" is in response to the use "Ipse dixit" rational?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 07:25 am
I know very little Latin. What is "ipsie dixie"? A type of ice-cream?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 07:34 am
Foofie wrote:

"Ispe Dixit" translates to ""he himself said it".

The origin of the term (From Wikipeida): "Cicero, in De Natura Deorum, refers to Pythagoras's students debating, saying "ipse dixit", that is, "he said it himself", speaking of Pythagoras, whose authority they considered strong "even without reason"."

In other words, people contend that their point on an issue is correct because they can point to someone in a position of authority and claim "He said so...!".
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 07:44 am
fishin wrote:
Foofie wrote:

"Ispe Dixit" translates to ""he himself said it".

The origin of the term (From Wikipeida): "Cicero, in De Natura Deorum, refers to Pythagoras's students debating, saying "ipse dixit", that is, "he said it himself", speaking of Pythagoras, whose authority they considered strong "even without reason"."

In other words, people contend that their point on an issue is correct because they can point to someone in a position of authority and claim "He said so...!".

The popular culture is anti-intellectual. It's not an individual thing. It's sociological. People have brains, but the popular culture brainwashes us to not use it to analyze popular notions. I believe many of us are comfortable to just subscribe to the popular culture for one reason or another; perhaps for many to just fit in and not feel like an odd person, maverick, etc. Conformity is a big motivator, I believe.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 08:12 am
Foofie wrote:
Only from the vantage point of old history can one see it was premeditated, as for example, how feudalism relied on many generalizations of the popular culture to keep the peasants "in their place."

This qualifies as one of the stupidest remarks i've seen here in quite a while. "Feudalism" is not a person, or a body of people, and it is, in fact, a retrospective intellectual construct which only badly and barely describes the constantly re-negotiated contract between men of varying amounts of power as to how to control the lands they claimed.

If anyone even gave a second glance at or an additional thought to the serfs on their estates--which i doubt--they would have pointed out that they were "kept in their place" by men at arms, and had they but known, by chronic malnutrition. The "quality" in the middle ages spent most of their time scheming against one another, but whenever a peasant uprising took place, and they were frequent, they would drop all of their differences to band together to make common cause against the greatest potential threat in their world. Given how many of the gentry were themselves illiterate, i find your fantasy hilarious.

Even then, men at arms and social organization did not equate with complete control. After the "black death" of the 14th century, when as much as a third of the population of Europe died, and the proportion being higher among the peasantry, peasant labor became valuable enough that all the old systems broke down. Peasants who were dissatisfied could run off, and seek employment elsewhere. "Masterless" men were automatically targets for authoritarian suspicion in good times, but in bad times, such as the labor crisis after the black death, everyone looked the other way if an able-bodied peasant with wife and kiddies in tow showed up looking for a job.

Basically, you don't know what the hell you're talking about, do you?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 08:20 am
Here, let me put in terms even Foofie can understand. The claim that man who can't even sign his own name was involved in a conspiracy to keep peasants in their place with ignorance is laughably absurd. If a peasant did anything you didn't like, you would just kill him out of hand, and nobody gave it a second thought. "He was impertinent."

Kind of like la Cosa Nostra writ large across the face of Europe, except they used two-handed broadswords instead of shotguns.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 08:20 am
Setanta wrote:
Foofie wrote:

This qualifies as one of the stupidest remarks i've seen here in quite a while. "Feudalism" is not a person, or a body of people, and it is, in fact, a retrospective intellectual construct which only badly and barely describes the constantly re-negotiated contract between men of varying amounts of power as to how to control the lands they claimed.

If anyone even gave a second glance at or an additional thought to the serfs on their estates--which i doubt--they would have pointed out that they were "kept in their place" by men at arms, and had they but known, by chronic malnutrition. The "quality" in the middle ages spent most of their time scheming against one another, but whenever a peasant uprising took place, and they were frequent, they would drop all of their differences to band together to make common cause against the greatest potential threat in their world. Given how many of the gentry were themselves illiterate, i find your fantasy hilarious.

Even then, men at arms and social organization did not equate with complete control. After the "black death" of the 14th century, when as much as a third of the population of Europe died, and the proportion being higher among the peasantry, peasant labor became valuable enough that all the old systems broke down. Peasants who were dissatisfied could run off, and seek employment elsewhere. "Masterless" men were automatically targets for authoritarian suspicion in good times, but in bad times, such as the labor crisis after the black death, everyone looked the other way if an able-bodied peasant with wife and kiddies in tow showed up looking for a job.

Basically, you don't know what the hell you're talking about, do you?

No. I know exactly what I am talking about. I am the embodiment of history.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 08:21 am
No, you're a liar.

Are you Flaja's alter ego?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 08:26 am
Setanta wrote:
Here, let me put in terms even Foofie can understand. The claim that man who can't even sign his own name was involved in a conspiracy to keep peasants in their place with ignorance is laughably absurd. If a peasant did anything you didn't like, you would just kill him out of hand, and nobody gave it a second thought. "He was impertinent."

Kind of like la Cosa Nostra writ large across the face of Europe, except they used two-handed broadswords instead of shotguns.

The ability to read requires no more evolution of our brains than what man had during the Middle Ages. I don't underestimate man of the Middle Ages. Religion and feudalism was melded to give the peasants a culture that kept them in their place. It was a popular culture that illiterates could understand. For example, it made sense that the tax collector was a Jew, since good Christians should not touch money. A very silly popular notion of the popular culture, but accepted by all good peasants.

You need not argue with me. I was there by proxy (I have very good genetic memory).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 08:28 am
So, you're suggesting that human beings were less "evolved" 600 years ago than they are now?

You just get more and more hilarious.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 08:28 am
Oh, and Jews were not tax collectors.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 08:29 am
Setanta wrote:
No, you're a liar.

Are you Flaja's alter ego?

I am Foofie. A Foofie never lies. I don't need to.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 08:32 am
Setanta wrote:
So, you're suggesting that human beings were less "evolved" 600 years ago than they are now?

You just get more and more hilarious.

No. I said the brains are the same. A ruling class always used the current popular culture to control the masses.

Let's not pursue this. Your opinion is yours. I am not trying to proselytize to you. Just telling you my beliefs, backed up by what I've learned.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 08:32 am
Help, Foofie's steppin' into the Twilight Zone
The place is a mad-house, he feels like being cloned
His beacon's been moved under moon and star
Where is he to go now that he's gone too far
Soon he will come to know
When the bullet hits the bone
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 10:33 pm
Sometimes....when I hear the word intellectual, I don't reach for my Browning.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 10:10 pm
A narrowly definitional contribution: Not all intelligent people are intellectuals and not all intellectuals are particularly intelligent. I think of the "intellectual" mainly in terms of his or her social function, viz., working with knowledge, words, art, ideas, often members of the academic disciplines, usually, but not always, for a living.
I've known--and worked with--many intellectuals in this narrow sense of the term, and I have not found all of them to have interesting or powerful intellects.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 10:10 pm
A narrowly definitional contribution: Not all intelligent people are intellectuals and not all intellectuals are particularly intelligent. I think of the "intellectual" mainly in terms of his or her social function, viz., working with knowledge, words, art, ideas, often members of the academic disciplines, usually, but not always, for a living.
I've known--and worked with--many intellectuals in this narrow sense of the term, and I have not found all of them to have interesting or powerful intellects.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 10:14 pm
They are few and far between, Shirley. We can agree on that?

RH
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 10:26 pm
Setanta wrote:
Oh, and Jews were not tax collectors.

Of course they were. Don't be ridiculous.

Pick up a copy of the New Testament ... start at page 1.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 07:39 am
The New Testament does not deal with European history. I'm not surprised, though, that you don't know that.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 02:17:16