Is 38 too old to learn the piano/keyboard?

hingehead

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 08:36 am
Get one of these:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/imogen-heap-keytar.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 08:37 am
I'd pay serious money to see DrewDad in that outfit - plane ticket money.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 08:45 am
The red bra would go nice with his eyes...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 10:55 am
Now, keytars are cool....
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 07:56 am
neat o dad.
I switched from bass to keyboard in my late 40's so I've got a little insight for ya.
I've been using the same Yamaha PSR 520 model for ages. I get em on E Bay where they bid out at $150 or so. It's a great machine for a beginner..with a superb piano tone.

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/4571/88us5.png
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 08:27 am
Slappy's got a good idea: a decent used keyboard would be inexpensive. Then, if it turns out you like playing it, you can work up to something better. As you already play some guitar, you should be able to learn keyboard.

If you want lessons, consider a teacher who likes to work with beginners or children. Patience from an instructor is always nice when you're learning anything new.

I have known two adults older than you who took up violin, circa age 55. Neither of them had played anything since they were little kids. If they can pick up a stringed instrument at this age, you can probably learn keyboard. Go for it!
0 Replies

Radical Edward

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 05:15 pm
It's never too late to learn anything (except for a few dangerous things, but piano isn't one of them).
However, if you want to start with a keyboard, see if you like it, and then move on to a piano, you should pay attention to which keyboard you buy, because even if good ones are... well... good, a lot of keyboards keys are a lot smaller than the piano ones, so it could be weird afterwards when you try on the "real" thing.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 05:34 pm
Make the decision early about touch sensitive vs not. If you want to play an acoustic piano get a touch sensitive keyboard. I learnt on a couple of Korg synths in the early 80s and always found acoustic pianos hard to control, volume-wise.
0 Replies

evilc

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 02:24 am
Well, I don't think 38 is too old, you do feed yourself don't you??
Hey, I'm 67 and have started learning the keyboard.
Take no notice of the knockers.

Evilc
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 09:06 pm
evilc wrote:

Take no notice of the knockers.

Benny Hill flashback.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 09:19 pm
hingehead wrote:
Make the decision early about touch sensitive vs not.
You prolly mean-velocity sensitive not touch sensitive. After-touch is something else again.

Almost any halfway decent keyboard has both velocity-sensitivity and after-touch. Even a lot of the cheap stuff has both velocity-sensitivity and after-touch.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 07:36 am
Weighted keys...most important choice IMO
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 10:17 pm
Well not exactly no.

Only if you are either used to playing a conventional acoustic piano and want the transition to be somewhat less noticeable and/or have expectations of doing so might you feel the desire for weighted keys. Otherwise it can have certain disadvantages such as requiring more physical effort to produce the same results.

I play a conventional acoustic piano as well as a bunch of non-weighed keyboards and have no problems switching, and would not want weighted keys on my keyboards.

In actual fact, if you want the most realistic action on a keyboard you would opt for one with a piano action. This is far more than simply weighted keys and actually simulates the hammer action of a conventional acoustic piano, and again the only real advantage would be if you are either used to playing a conventional acoustic piano and want the transition to be as seamless as possible and/or have expectations of doing so might you feel the desire for a true piano action keyboard.
0 Replies

titia

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 03:39 am
Didn't read through all the posts, so someone might already have suggested this --

but I'd say, get a keyboard that is manufactured to resemble piano as closely as possible. You can find keyboards with weighted keys and exact width of a piano, so they feel like the "real" instrument.

Plus, most keyboards have an excellent advantage -- the ability to use headphones. Therefore you can practice without the whole house wittnessing your activities, and this is also very helpful if you get this spark of inspiration to play during the small hours Smile

... Not even mentioning the fact that the keyboard won't need dedicated space at home and will be portable. Just honestly, don't go for one with those annoying narrow keys...

An afterthought-- I've graduated a musical school (which ment intence practice of 8 years), and ever from those times, I still do play. But mostly guitar, and not so much the piano, which, by the way, was my main instrument back then. Now when I think it over, the main reason is, actually, the noise and rather sensitive neighbours... Smile

Truely, get a keyboard. And best of luck with your practices!
0 Replies

Kitten with a Whip

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 12:38 pm
I have a Casio CDP 100, I am only interested in playing piano not synth, organ etc. It plays and sounds like an acoustic piano, has 88 keys and is only $399

I played half-ased keyboard years ago. I am now taking lessons and learning classical pieces but my goal is to play jazz.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 09:37 am
u go grrrl....
0 Replies

Tarah

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 05:11 pm
Do you think having a teacher is necessary? There are some pretty good tuition books but perhaps knowing your lesson is looming would make you practice somewhat more regularly.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 12:58 pm
any idea what type of piano you want to play>
Boogie Woogie, classical?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 07:47 pm
Piano has been obtained (FIL decided he didn't want his anymore).

Now I need to get the damned thing tuned or tune it myself (88 notes at three strings each....). My understanding is that it will probably need to be tuned several times before it stays in tune....
Tai Chi

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 12:53 pm
@DrewDad,
How long since it's been tuned? It can be double-tuned the first time (tuned, and then immediately tuned again).