Why do we always see the same side of the moon?

Kayyam

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 12:14 am
Observation: The tidal friction that retards the Earth's rotation is related to extension of the moon's orbit by the conservation of angular momentum.

Suppose moon's pole lies in its orbital plane (rather than orthogonal to and and parallel to the Earth's pole). What is the consequence of this? It seems to me that the Earth's tidal forces would increase the moon's rotation, and of course there would be no tidal locking effect.

Hmm. What is wrong with this picture? I dunno, maybe we need to consider the moon's asphericity (is that a word?). Supposing it has an equatorial bulge due to its rotation... Suppose now that it tilts slightly from the plane. Would this create an instability?

/Kayyam
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 08:09 pm
I suggest we move the moon slightly and see what happens. On seodn thought _ NAH!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 06:22 am
jesus people, don't you know anything, the aliens live on the other side, they won't let us see that
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 03:02 am
bm
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 05:32 pm
What difference does it make which side of the phukkin' thing we see.

What about the other side of Baroness Trumpington and the Iron Lady?.

That's what I want to know.

I reckon that the other side of the moon is just as boring as our side. If it inrerests you more than our side heaven help you.
0 Replies