What's the cool phrase where you live right now?

Mame

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 05:04 pm
In the restaurant I worked at last year, all the kids were saying 'It's all good'... then they went on to something else but I wasn't listening (I'm so passe I'm going backwards)... now...

There's a 37 yr old guy in my camp who says, "That's just morally wrong" about everything ... someone using the 'wrong' sauce on a piece of meat, being told that I sometimes (okay, often) read the end of the book after the first couple of chapters, someone likes Country music...

What's the buzz in your neighbourhood?

(I can't wait for Chai's response, and between you and me, I hope it's not about tomatoes or pincushions.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,129 • Replies: 25
No top replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 06:04 pm
"man i was faded *drastic* last night"

"man we got chased by the cops it was *drastic*"

"chill back" relax...

"sidebust" means tagging along, from graffiti when people would tag next to each other.busting out, on the side of each other.

ok ok get this one, at my old hs all my lil friends are saying "frolic" for sex, i started that one.

"man i wish i could *frolic* with her!" thats hilarious! i said it for about a month joking around now its like the shizzle.

someone called it, im like ebonics professor of the year.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 06:05 pm
oh theres more, i just need to quit working and go outside and hang out and listen for a few moments.. good idea thanks!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 06:23 pm
In my world the phrase, "It is what it is" is currently driving me nuts.

Last year "Clearly" was over-used enough to tick me off.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 07:01 pm
I live in my house, so I guess the coolest phrase I hear over here is when my husband sees a really large guy and calls him a "12 sandwich eatin' mother f*cker"

As in when we're in the parking lot of a restaurant and he's gaging who's going to get to the door first, he'll say "Hurry up Chai, or that 12 SEMF is gonna get in there first at eat everything."

Mr. Tea marches to his own drummer.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 07:17 pm
OGIONIK - You are like drasticly cool, dude!

Cub says "Straight" is the new "Cool." As in, "That's straight."
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 07:18 pm
Well, you're a good match, Chai, because so do you.

I haven't heard any of those... hope we get to read more of them.

Clearly, I am not with it. Oh well, it is what it is.

(sorry, lil k!) :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 07:30 pm
There was the year I lived through hub saying 'you know' twice per sentence. This is a literate guy, very literate. No matter, he was taken over by miniscule y'know pods and it wasn't easy for him to get rid of it. Sheer will power, serious effort.

My own worst word is 'really'. Yes, really, really. Oh, shut up, osso...

What is hot here in west sandland? Not sure re my neighbors, though we're all copacetic. But let me just whisper Linguini with Clams and Anchovies...

Many years ago and far away, back at my girls' catholic academy, we had a visiting priest, gads he was cute. He was canadian. He said 'eh', and 'what' in the middle of sentences.

That hour lecture must've really really really got to me, since I even now find myself saying 'what' mid sentence on occasion. Not so much lately, but that lasted for decades.

Lesson: watch out for lectures from really darling guys.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 07:35 pm
Oh, and 'darling' is a word from my mother (1901-1979). Trust me, I spent years eschewing it. Now I give up and let it back in to my language,

you know.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 07:38 pm
I learned in psych 1A or somewhere about networks in brain formation. Since I studied that long ago the intricacies have been illuminated more..

but, it does seem to me that word circuits can become near lifetime repetitive.

So, folks, watch out for what new phrase you adopt.

you may spend senility saying, f/you forevermore....
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 07:38 pm
ossobuco wrote:

Many years ago and far away, back at my girls' catholic academy, we had a visiting priest, gads he was cute. He was canadian. He said 'eh', and 'what' in the middle of sentences.

That hour lecture must've really really really got to me, since I even now find myself saying 'what' mid sentence on occasion. Not so much lately, but that lasted for decades.

Uh... you think it was the lecture that really really got to you?

HA HA HA HA HA HA

You're so cute!
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 07:43 pm
squinney wrote:
OGIONIK - You are like drasticly cool, dude!

Cub says "Straight" is the new "Cool." As in, "That's straight."

i also hear 'cut" alot, it comes from people working out obviously, but then people good at counterstrike started saying "they were cut" when they would dominate a round.

now its all over!

i hear everything as "cut"

"man that whip is cut!"
whip is a nice car by the way Wink

language is hysterical. ebonics is "GOODGAME!"

another gaming word that made it outside into real life.

at 7-11 this little kid said something like "theres tax on this? good game **** that"

O_o
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 07:45 pm
ossobuco wrote:
There was the year I lived through hub saying 'you know' twice per sentence. This is a literate guy, very literate. No matter, he was taken over by miniscule y'know pods and it wasn't easy for him to get rid of it. Sheer will power, serious effort.

My own worst word is 'really'. Yes, really, really. Oh, shut up, osso...

What is hot here in west sandland? Not sure re my neighbors, though we're all copacetic. But let me just whisper Linguini with Clams and Anchovies...

can u give an example of saying what mid sentence? i cant , picture it in my head...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 07:51 pm
To Mame, sure, I got even then that I was in love of sorts. I didn't get that the guy's phrasing would just stick in my brain.
Did you think I said it was just the lecture? I am not cute, damn it.

(I've learned since then, though, that I have an attraction to others language, the rhythm, even if I can't pick up the grammar, whether from major languages or gang.)

Really, Ogionik, I don't know what to say about the river and how it flows, WHAT, downstream to the cascade .....
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 07:54 pm
it just soudns weird. i think ill have to hear a real canadian speaking it hahaha.

but i was in canada for a few days, i know what eh? sounds like eh? alright eh? eh ! yeah eh? im goin eh to the eh store eh!

i was livin in Peugeot's sound , canada is fun.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 07:59 pm
Yes, it was weird to me then, but seemed to stick to my brain, Ogionik.

And Mame, what? Did you think I said it was just the lecture, what? What category of asexuality do you ascribe me to?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 12:38 pm
There was a time.....waaay back.....when I remember the word "groovy" being used.

Am I dating myself here?

Of course, I never use such silly words and phrases that one hears these days. Only proper English for me.

But I do have a tendency to pick up "all things English" slang type sayings from my wife. Laughing
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 03:18 pm
Ah, groovy! Neat-o, Keen, Mint, Fab Smile let's date ourselves, Reyn.

Osso, you ARE a cutie whether you like it or not. But okay, I won't say it again. Of course I don't think you're asexual - it just sounded funny to hear you focus on the lecture when obviously you noticed the lecturER who was a dreamboat or darling or whatever you called him.

Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 03:24 pm
Very Happy, ok, groovy.

Ah, I never did say 'groovy'. That wasn't hep. I mean hip.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 03:27 pm
Osso - did you say "Far out, man" in a drugged out kind of way, while giving the peace sign? Did you wear long flower printed-dresses and walk around in bare feet? Huh? Did you have long, dirty hair with a flower chain on top? A peace sign painted on your cheeks? Bet you made a cute hippie child.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What's the cool phrase where you live right now?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 06:27:20