Too Much to Ask?

Roberta

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 09:49 pm
jespah wrote:
Is it too much for you people to call maintenance when the printer needs toner? The Magical Toner Fairy does not come unless I call. The Toner Fairy is a guy, too, a middle-aged guy, and he doesn't appreciate this fairy stuff although he does think it's kinda interesting that everyone else thinks he just magically divines what's needed.

You mean to tell me that all the years I worked in an office the toner fairy (toner guy to me) didn't just magically appear? You mean, jes, that you were calling for me all the way from Massachusetts. Gee, thanks.

Is it too much to ask that inanimate objects stop sneaking around and hiding in places they're not supposed to be? Stay where I put you, you steenkin' objects. Or more specifically, stay where I THINK I put you. Haven't I got enough tsuris without animate inanimate objects? It's a freaking conspiracy.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 10:02 pm
Is it too much to ask that seniors go to the groceries, bank, etc. during
the day time, and not at night or Saturdays? Every Saturday I see those
retired crones slurping through the groceries in slow motion.

Is it too much to ask that slow drivers get off the left lane? Yes I can
pass on the right side, but why being glued to the left lane when
only driving 55 and under? Evil or Very Mad

Is it too much to ask that sales clerks give priority to a paying customer in
front of them and not pick up the phone and get a price check for the
caller while everyone else has to wait?

Is it too much to ask to not clean windshields while driving and have
the water splash on the car behind?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 10:15 pm
Roberta wrote:
Hey dadpad, One of Penny's pics. Thanks. But would it have been too much to ask that you posted the one with the wallaby?

Is it too much to ask people to be just a little grateful when you offer them something out of the goodness of you heart instead of wanting more.

:wink:
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 10:36 pm
Hey Jane, I'm a senior, but not retired. I work at night. You don't really expect me to set my alarm clock to get up early so I can get my chores done at a time that's convenient for you, do you? I do try to keep out of the way of the people who are zipping by me. However, in the supermarket it's every man for himself.

On the other hand, I'm with you on the sales clerk issue. Even worse is when they keep you waiting because they're talking to another clerk. I abstain on the car issue.

Hey dadpad, You're absolutely right. I'm totally contrite. Shame on me. Hard to control myself when I'm on a rant, but that's no excuse. I apologize. Thank you for the lovely photo of the wide-open spaces.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 02:58 am
dadpad wrote:
Roberta wrote:
Hey dadpad, One of Penny's pics. Thanks. But would it have been too much to ask that you posted the one with the wallaby?

Is it too much to ask people to be just a little grateful when you offer them something out of the goodness of you heart instead of wanting more.

:wink:

Laughing

All the same, dadpad, stunning country! (I love a sunburnt country, I do! Very Happy )

It makes me want to go out & sit out there in the solitude & paint. (Eat your heart out, Fred Williams!)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 05:24 am
Is it too much to ask that when a supermarket puts a popular item on sale at below cost that they keep the shelves stocked with this item?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 09:32 am
Is it too much to ask that when someone delegates a task to you, they keep their paws out of actually doing it? Grrrrrrr.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 09:35 am
Is it too much to ask that people stop with the bitching threads?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 09:47 am
Is it too much to ask that some people stop saying f*** every other word?

Jane, I'm with you on all those points, and Roboida, that's for retired seniors who have all day to shop but choose the times when working people are there! West Van is "senior-ville" and I had the same issues with them as CJ. They have all blinking day and week so why pick Saturdays? Go on a bleeding Tuesday!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 10:31 am
what the **** is wrong with ****?

its just a ******* word

fer fucks sake
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 10:39 am
dag, Where would be the fun in letting you alone to get the job done?

set, Consider my kvetching curtailed.

Mame, Sorry about the foul language. I'll try to control myself in the future. I still disagree about the old people. Yes, I'm a specific person in a specific situation, but I can't see why old people shouldn't be able to stuff whenever they please. Until I read Jane's comment, I had no idea that my gimping along was slowing anybody down or causing frustration. I'm doing the best I can, as I assume all of us old folks are.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 11:13 am
Roberta, for me it's not their pace, it's just added people at the worst time of day for those of us who haven't much choice of when we can shop.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 11:14 am
With Roberta on that one. I shop during the week most of the time if only to avoid the ******* crowds. But if I need something on a Saturday or Sunday, I'm not the least bit apologetic.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 12:22 pm
Roberta wrote:
dag, Where would be the fun in letting you alone to get the job done?

of course, that would be no fun. what makes it even more fun is alienating people who are doing us big favors in the process and ultimately making me look like a fool. must be gut-busting fun for the boss. oh if he was nearby right now i'd so put my boxing skills to work....
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 02:43 pm
Well, I gather most seniors think like you Roberta, and you osso, that's
why we have the supermarkets in the evenings and Saturdays crowded with
old folks. They simply don't care, and do as they please. Laughing

I live in a small beach community and sometimes circle the supermarket parking lot for 10 minutes before a spot opens up, never mind the long
lines on the cashier and the wrangling at the produce isle.

I started going on Sunday mornings when everyone else is in church,
only problem is that the produce is not stocked up and not too fresh *sigh*
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 02:52 pm
shewolfnm:

******** off!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 03:03 pm
I'll discuss this with you again, CJ, in thirty years... by then I'll be pushing a hundred and will shop when I damn well please.

actually, I don't know the percentage of seniors at my local market on the weekends, since I don't go at that time often and haven't paid that much attention. Still, I'm not part of some group that needs to be excluded. If I need something for a recipe, I'm going to the market. I did notice that there weren't that many people (of any description) there last sunday at 3 pm.

It's been a transition here.. I'm used to my old home town in northern california's smallish coop market, at which I'd shop a short time two or three days a week buying what looked good that day. True, I was working full time then, but even then I was shopping, say, in the morning before work (we had a refrigerator there.) Now I shop less often, which is still a little weird to me, and pick weekdays for my own pleasure.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 04:27 pm
There is an older couple that walk my street almost every day right around 3:00. Some days I walk with them as I'm on my way to pick Mo up from school. They chose this time to walk because they love all the commotion of the kids getting out of class. "Such a happy noise" they say.

I imagine the supermarket at rush hour provides some much needed social interaction for some seniors......
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 05:08 pm
Yes, I thought about that too, boomer, especially when seeing the same
"culprits" Saturday after Saturday. I should have more compassion -
I'm working on it....
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 05:29 pm
Not so long ago I was behind an elderly gentleman at the grocery checkout and watched him flirt with the check out 'girl' (my age). He had a laugh in his voice and a twinkle in his eye as he told her about the doings of his grandchildren and asked her about her own family. When he finally left I smiled and told the 'girl' that he reminded me of my father and how much he looked forward to his weekly trip to the grocery store. It was a social highlight in his life. She nodded and explained that there are many such seniors and that spending a couple minutes at the checkout is sometimes the high point of their week. She also said that sometimes they just disappear without any knowledge of what became of them because extended family have no idea about the connections their loved ones had at the checkout counter. kinda sad...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Too Much to Ask?
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 03:14:36