Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 06:54 pm
as Timex used to say.

I'm so used to things being disposable that when something outlasts its anticipated life I'm always surprised.

Tonight I was cooking dinner and heard Mo's "rap truck" go back into action.

The rap truck is a toy that he became fascinated with when he was two. We saw it in the store - a purple truck thing on spindly legs that vibrated around playing this little rap style rhythm.

Mo is seven now so that toy has been around for more than five years. I have never replaced the battery. It is, however, missing the spindly leg things. It does still vibrate around and play rap things though.

Have you ever bought something that outlived all expectation?

Share!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,056 • Replies: 8
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 06:55 pm
I had a Mr Coffee 4 cup coffee maker since before I met the mister.

I threw it out a few months ago because I thought I was done with it....

It still worked, and I realized I had it for 10 years or more..
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 07:21 pm
You reminded me that I have had my cameras for a long time.

I've had my two 35mm for 30 and 25 years. I've had my 120mm for about 17 years. I've had my digitals for about 13 years.

When we were in Galveston my sister's new boyfriend commented on my cameras -- how the areas where my hands fit were rubbed raw. I looked at it good for the first time in years and he's right -- the finish is completely worn off.

I love stuff that lasts.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 07:29 pm
On my 13th birthday, my brother in law gave me one of those new fangled "calculators", a Casio. This would have been in 1971. I used it all through high school, and when I moved away to college, I through it in the back with all my other junk.

Didn't see it again for another couple or three years, when I went to sell that car. I was cleaning it out and found it in the compartment where the spare tire was kept. It'd gone through that many Florida summers, in the trunk.

I did have to put in new AA's, but it worked fine for years after.

Wonder whatever happened to Casie?

http://www.smcelectronics.com/PICTURES/CASIO8R-L.JPG
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 08:19 pm
Re: Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'
boomerang wrote:

Share!

Wife.

Doesnt vibrate though
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 08:41 am
Re: Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'
dadpad wrote:
boomerang wrote:

Share!

Wife.

Doesnt vibrate though

But according to the thread title...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 09:11 am
I have an old fan I inherited from my dad. It used to be in his garage, on the end of his workbench and it now sits on a dresser in my bedroom. It is one of my favorite possessions and the thing has never failed me. I clean and oil it religiously and I suspect the thing will last for many more years.

I did a search on the internet, hoping to find the fan, and to my surprise I found the EXACT fan on youtube. Mine actually sounds a tad healthier than this guy's, but now is not the time for bragging.

Gus's fan
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 09:25 am
I have a fan that was my Papaw's. It is a GE and still works...on my screened porch. It is almost like yours Gus, but not quite.

Speaking of Toys and batteries...Gbaby, my 4 year old has a riding fire engine - I thought the batteries were dead...I hate noisy toys...so I just never replaced them...but I never took them out either. One night he had left it in our bedroom and it decided to go off in the middle of the night- siren and horn blaring in this warped whine...I thought I was going to have a heart attack it scared me so bad!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 09:29 am
I had a Panasonic television, a portable, which my grandmother had bought in 1971 to watch the soaps when she was in the kitchen (that woman did "housework" until her dying day, and she lived past 90). She gave it to in me 1979, when she got a new portable. I kept it until 1988, when i sold it to a woman i knew (and guess what? she wanted it to watch the soaps while she was in the kitchen). Last i heard, a few years later, it was still in use. It lasted (great picture, too) for more than 20 years in almost daily service (i'm not much of a television watcher, but i'd turn it on in the morning for the news, and some noise while i got ready for work).
0 Replies