Question on magnetic pole reversal for the earth.

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 08:57 pm
What are the consequences of a pole reversal?

remarkably, wikipedia didn't list any of them. It said that the dipole might collapse or something similar, and if that happens doesn't that mean our magnetosphere will disappear as well?

if that happens doesn't that mean we are going to fry from solar radiation?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,708 • Replies: 6
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 10:15 pm
I don't believe there has been any demonstrated (or implied) correlation between pole reversals and affects on the ancient biosphere, even though these reversals have happened many times.

Based on that, it seems unlikely that there are any "severe" biological implications from the reversal (however, there may be "some" biological effects even if not severe). If the magnetosphere were completely removed for any long period of time I think we would see blips in the fossil record, so the magnetosphere probably remains relatively intact during these reversals. I would imagine that it becomes less intense, and possibly less stable, which might result in periodic bursts of solar radiation making it to ground.

The reversals can take many thousands of years, so there will be no sudden changes (from a human perspective of time). Even though electronics might be affected by variations in the magnetic field, I'm sure we will adapt given the timeframes involved.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 02:24 am
Sudden magnetic reversals may play holy heck with animal migration.

Rap
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 01:43 pm
wow thats a good point, i wonder if any animals went off their natural territory?

Would a pole reversal make it impossible for us to create electricity?

And going back to good ol tesla, i mean, to me it seems like the earth is one gigantic ass electric motor, its a peice of iron spinning in a electromagnetic field, whats stopping us from tapping into it?

Does it actually create any electricity that way?
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 07:19 pm
Shouldn't affect much. As it is now we have a N and S. If they switch, it will just affect which charged cosmic particles go to which pole, but the same particles will still enter the atmosphere; just in different places.

The animal migration thing has also not necessarily been linked to magnetism. Its more likely based on solar/lunar/stellar migration along with visual cues from the environment.

It won't affect electrical production. Even if we did use the earth's magnetism (which we don't) to create electricity, its all AC current anyway. It won't matter which pole is which. We DO use surface magnets to create movement of electrons, but it has nothing to do with the earths magnetism.

The magnetic charge of the earth is very small, but since it is perceived to be large and is a fixed entity for humans i think we place too much value in its exisitence and state.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 07:51 pm
from PBS :

REVERSAL OF POLES

plenty of info under google : REVERSAL OF POLES

seems to happen every 200,000 years or - don't know if time is up yet :wink:
just hold on to something while it is happening .

i read in a german university reseach paper that a reversal would likely cause great difficulties to communication systems - cell phones etc , but it would likely not be fatal to mankind .
there seems to be nobody around who can speak from experience :wink:
hbg
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 01:51 pm
I'm not worried about the animals. Given rosborne's and other's information as to the relatively slow transformation rate (of the magnetic poles) and the fact we consider them (the animals) only on a species basis (as opposed to individualistic) they will simply adapt. Human commercial navigation has mostly shifted to dependence on GPS sats.

I personally would be concerned with any lull in magnetosphere protection which, if significantly insufficient, would create a radiation event where the lack of ability to navigate (either us or the rest of the animals on earth) would be the very least of our problems.

JM
0 Replies