The Cautionary Tale Game

Gala

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 09:42 am
Okay, this is designed for anyone who wants to post a warning to others after experiencing a mishap recently or in the past.

No follow up is necessary on your cautionary tale. However, feel free to expound (as many sentences as you'd like. Humor is always greatly appreciated) on your particular dilemma after your tale.
Here we go:

Do not step in dog doo in high tread shoes.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 816 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 09:50 am
    [b]don't eat the yellow snow![/b]

to the best of my recollection, i never actually ate the yellow snow.
this priceless nugget came from my elementary school gym teacher, who's name has unfortunately vanished into the ether...
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 10:32 am
Region Philbis wrote:

this priceless nugget came from my elementary school gym teacher, who's name has unfortunately vanished into the ether...

What a hoot. I like the explanation that follows too.

So here's an explanation for mine...

Don't step in dog doo in high tread shoes.

Well, of course this happend a few days ago, just as I was about to walk to the Metro, as in public transportation. Was I preoccupied with smelling like doo? Yes, Indeed. I was able to drag the offended high tread New Balance shoe in a few puddles and along the grass, I stopped and extracted some of it with a stick, before descending into what very likely could have been Hell.

These treads have micro treads inside of the bigger treads. Fortunately, no one seemd to notice, as in the people who sat next to me did not get up and leave. Anyway, 2 days later I am still extracting with a stinkin' paper clip, much like a surgeon would remove plaque from the clogged artery. Said doo extraction is followed up by a Q-Tip dipped in sudsy perfumed water.

I'd say the process likens more closely to a root canal-- so far it's taken multiple visits and the operation is not yet completed.

Said offended sneaker/boot comes off my foot and is immediatly placed sideways on a newspaper in my domicile.

I am contemplating throwing the thing away.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 12:52 pm
When using aluminum chopsticks, don't leave them sitting in hot soup for too long.

A friend of mine took a trip to Korea and brought me back fancy aluminum chopsticks as a souvenir. They're really great--the clean so much more easily than wooden chopsticks--but boy, I learned the above lesson pretty early on.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 02:36 pm
Shapeless wrote:
When using aluminum chopsticks, don't leave them sitting in hot soup for too long.

A friend of mine took a trip to Korea and brought me back fancy aluminum chopsticks as a souvenir. They're really great--the clean so much more easily than wooden chopsticks--but boy, I learned the above lesson pretty early on.

Eeesh. That must've hurt. But you know, it might not be the greatest idea to be eating with aluminum utensils?
0 Replies

FlyFoy

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 04:33 pm
Gala wrote:
Region Philbis wrote:

What a hoot. I like the explanation that follows too.

So here's an explanation for mine...

Don't step in dog doo in high tread shoes.

Well, of course this happend a few days ago, just as I was about to walk to the Metro, as in public transportation. Was I preoccupied with smelling like doo? Yes, Indeed. I was able to drag the offended high tread New Balance shoe in a few puddles and along the grass, I stopped and extracted some of it with a stick, before descending into what very likely could have been Hell.

These treads have micro treads inside of the bigger treads. Fortunately, no one seemd to notice, as in the people who sat next to me did not get up and leave. Anyway, 2 days later I am still extracting with a stinkin' paper clip, much like a surgeon would remove plaque from the clogged artery. Said doo extraction is followed up by a Q-Tip dipped in sudsy perfumed water.

I'd say the process likens more closely to a root canal-- so far it's taken multiple visits and the operation is not yet completed.

Said offended sneaker/boot comes off my foot and is immediatly placed sideways on a newspaper in my domicile.

I am contemplating throwing the thing away.

That's hilarious. Not too long ago I went through something similar but not as bad. I stepped in dog doo the very first time I wore my new blue low-top, laceless Converse sneakers, which I had just purchased at Nordstrom for too much money. So I can definitely sympathize.
Your cautionary tale jogged my memory regarding something I haven't thought about in years. When I was in college, I was alone in the campus bookstore, and I picked up a little illustrated book entitled, "Misery Is," which was a parody of the Peanuts book, "Happiness Is." Each page had a different miserable experience that some kid was having. On one particular page there was a drawing of a carful of people. One of the passengers was a small boy looking miserable. The caption was, "Misery is when you're riding in a car and everybody smells dog doo and you discover it's on your shoes. " I started laughing hysterically and running around the store looking for someone I knew so that it would look like I was laughing with someone instead of by myself, like a nut. I found one of my housemates and really let it out. She asked me what was so funny, and I managed to say that I would tell her later. So never flip through a funny book when you're alone in a bookstore.

P.S. Your shoe was the "offending" (not "offended") high tread New Balance shoe. :wink:
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 07:42 am
FlyFoy wrote:
That's hilarious. Not too long ago I went through something similar but not as bad. I stepped in dog doo the very first time I wore my new blue low-top, laceless Converse sneakers, which I had just purchased at Nordstrom for too much money. So I can definitely sympathize.
Your cautionary tale jogged my memory regarding something I haven't thought about in years. When I was in college, I was alone in the campus bookstore, and I picked up a little illustrated book entitled, "Misery Is," which was a parody of the Peanuts book, "Happiness Is." Each page had a different miserable experience that some kid was having. On one particular page there was a drawing of a carful of people. One of the passengers was a small boy looking miserable. The caption was, "Misery is when you're riding in a car and everybody smells dog doo and you discover it's on your shoes. " I started laughing hysterically and running around the store looking for someone I knew so that it would look like I was laughing with someone instead of by myself, like a nut. I found one of my housemates and really let it out. She asked me what was so funny, and I managed to say that I would tell her later. So never flip through a funny book when you're alone in a bookstore.

P.S. Your shoe was the "offending" (not "offended") high tread New Balance shoe. :wink:

I know what you mean about laughing while reading and thinking you might look unstable, especially if the tears are coming from the laughter...although, again, once while riding on the Metro, I was reading a very funny book and the guy next to me started up a conversation because of my laughing. I liked the spontaneity of stranger wanting in on it.

Although, I have purposely avoided participating in any of those "laugh" therapies (in this case, a Yoga seminar option) because I think people really would think I was a nut job once I got started.

No, no, the offended sneaker...I love those shoes and irrationally project (uh, oh nut-job alert) the left one (scene of the crime) is not only offended but rues the remaining odors. I think the doo is what offends and the sneaker offended.

Although, you are correct too and I get your point.

Also, I am so appreciative for your contribution-- it's been years since I stepped in the doo and man oh man, that smell brings me back. I'd forgotten about its sticking power. The act and its lingering after-effects seems to be an innocuous though hulking metaphor for much of daily life.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 08:03 am
When spraying a hidden hornets nest while on an extension ladder, have a back up plan.
along the same line........
never put an extension ladder on a hidden mole run.
"...i can fly.."

Even if you think a pile of leaves hasn't burned for three days, check, before you put gas on it.
along the same line.....
never put gas in a plastic charcoal starting fluid container.

Never think it's impossible to have a flood, during a drought, while riding a motorcycle.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 08:16 am
Never buy skis you've never heard of, no matter how inexpensive.

I bought my first pair of skis at the Boston Ski Swap. They were brand
new, "overstocks". ALUGLAS 727s. I can't recall what I paid, but it
wasn't much.

I skied on them for about a year. Then one day I caught some air off a
mogul and -- in mid-air -- the binding detached from one ski. I mean
the damn screws just came right out. I did a face-plant and looked up to
see my liberated ski heading downhill fast. Luckily, the trail curved and
the ski went harmlessly into the woods without impaling anyone.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 11:25 am
When walking from one place to another with a laptop (even in a case), CHECK THE WEATHER REPORT.

Some years ago I wrecked a computer because I got caught in the rain with my laptop. It was a perfectly sunny, mostly cloudless day--and then the floods came. Out of nowhere. I shielded the laptop case as best I could, but I was quite a ways from the nearest public building. By the time I ducked in somewhere, it was too late... the computer wouldn't even start.
0 Replies

jennym

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 01:45 am
Do not, under any circumstances, try at home any moves that you have learned while watching Kung Fu films (unless you, yourself, are a Kung Fu master).

'nuff said.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 10:55 am
alex240101 wrote:
When spraying a hidden hornets nest while on an extension ladder, have a back up plan.
along the same line........
never put an extension ladder on a hidden mole run.
"...i can fly.."

Even if you think a pile of leaves hasn't burned for three days, check, before you put gas on it.
along the same line.....
never put gas in a plastic charcoal starting fluid container.

Never think it's impossible to have a flood, during a drought, while riding a motorcycle.

alex, all of your entries are super action packed--especially the last one. I bet there's a good story in that one.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 10:58 am
George wrote:
Never buy skis you've never heard of, no matter how inexpensive.

I bought my first pair of skis at the Boston Ski Swap. They were brand
new, "overstocks". ALUGLAS 727s. I can't recall what I paid, but it
wasn't much.

I skied on them for about a year. Then one day I caught some air off a
mogul and -- in mid-air -- the binding detached from one ski. I mean
the damn screws just came right out. I did a face-plant and looked up to
see my liberated ski heading downhill fast. Luckily, the trail curved and
the ski went harmlessly into the woods without impaling anyone.

But wait-- that's not a ski problem that's a binding problem. I had the same thing happen to me once and I attributed it to my skiing, which was pretty fast and furious-- anyway, the binding came right out of the ski. It was the best skiing ever. I never got the binding fixed and haven't skiied since...
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 11:01 am
Shapeless wrote:
When walking from one place to another with a laptop (even in a case), CHECK THE WEATHER REPORT.

Some years ago I wrecked a computer because I got caught in the rain with my laptop. It was a perfectly sunny, mostly cloudless day--and then the floods came. Out of nowhere. I shielded the laptop case as best I could, but I was quite a ways from the nearest public building. By the time I ducked in somewhere, it was too late... the computer wouldn't even start.

Key word: Floods. Not a sprinkle, or even rain.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 11:02 am
jennym wrote:
Do not, under any circumstances, try at home any moves that you have learned while watching Kung Fu films (unless you, yourself, are a Kung Fu master).

'nuff said.

Good one. Although I hope you or unidentified master did not get too injured.
0 Replies