Questions a plenty.

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 01:31 pm
I think what i wnt to know is related to engineering, i want to know the specs on certain materials.

1.What is the strongest metal?

2.What is the strongest material?

3.what material keeps an edge the best?

4.what material conducts electricity the best? @ room temp Razz

5. what is the strongest acid?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 774 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 01:46 pm
Re: Questions a plenty.
OGIONIK wrote:
I think what i wnt to know is related to engineering, i want to know the specs on certain materials.

1.What is the strongest metal?

2.What is the strongest material?

3.what material keeps an edge the best?

4.what material conducts electricity the best? @ room temp Razz

5. what is the strongest acid?

A materials strength is measured in an enormous number of ways, and I don't know of one that's the strongest in every single one of those ways.

I'm pretty sure diamonds keep their edges extremely well, but I'm not exactly an authority on materials yet, so I'll just wait for someone who is to answer.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 01:57 pm
im on wiki reading about it, i think i know the answers but im definitely not educated thoroughly on the subject.

i am trying to find out what the measurements i want are, "tensile strength" "torsion" etc.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 02:01 pm
tungsten is the metal I THINK.

i forgot that there are alloys too.

pretty much heat treated steel 17-4PH and 15-5PH or w/e the hell that means HAHA!!!

funny, i thought titanium was super strong, turns out its more medicore with low weight :X
well in camparison to other metals and alloys.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 02:03 pm
jesus wiki is failing me terribly...
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 05:56 pm
Questions 1 and 2 are too broadly worded to answer---strength is measured in several directions, bending, tensile, shear, and compression to name just a few.

3. A good hard material with a good crystalline structure generally will keep a good edge, that is one of the reasons a stone age flint knife has a better edge than a modern metal. So if I were to pick a material off of the top of my head---I'd pick diamond.

4. Gold---the best common electrical conductor at room temp---a little expensive to use for wire but it has been used in this application (thermonuclear ballistic missiles use gold for electrical contacts).

5. This is a little subjective, because generally acids (in the meaning I think your hunting for) require them to be mixed with water. And the strongest of these are are called mineral acids and include sulfuric, nitric, chromic, hydrofluoric and hydrochloric, perchloric. When mixed with water mineral acids dissociate to produce beauceaups of hydrogen ions (H+). The differences between mineral acids in many cases is not the pH produced , but the attack on materials---for instance a strong hydrofluoric acid will etch glass, where a fuming nitric solution of equal pH won't. Prtch;oric Acid is really strange tending to ignite organic materials when it comes in contact with them at relatively low concentrations.

As for wiki for questions 1 & 2 I'd wiki "strength of materials" and go from there.

Rap
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 07:44 am
raprap wrote:
4. Gold---the best common electrical conductor at room temp---a little expensive to use for wire but it has been used in this application (thermonuclear ballistic missiles use gold for electrical contacts).

So do computers. My RAM modules, display, sound and network cards all have gold coated contacts.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 08:02 am
contrex wrote:
raprap wrote:

So do computers. My RAM modules, display, sound and network cards all have gold coated contacts.

Back in the day before TVs were digitally tuned, very expensive sets used gold plated contacts. My favorite great uncle built a Heathkit color TV (before there was a color transmitter in out area) because of the gold contacts. Gold is very inert in an oxidizing atmosphere, and when you couple that factor with its outstanding conductivity it is a perfect material for contacts.

The coin metals, a column of elements on the periodic table, are (from top to bottom) copper (Cu), silver (Ag), gold (Au). Since they are a column of periodicity they have the same outer electron orbitals configuration, and similar chemical properties---Good electrical conduction, malleability, chemically inert, high melting point. These properties are desirable in the use of these elements for coinage, and jewelry, and electrical contacts.

Rap
0 Replies