Drunk
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,246 • Replies: 39
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 09:14 am
The purpose of all music is entertainment.
If it's popular it means that many people find it entertaining.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 10:43 am
Don't much like it myself. But, rather than thwart freedom of expression, I just change the station.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 11:23 am
Rae, me too.

I think Rap is popular because in order to be good you have to think and rhyme (sort of) on your feet. One must be clever and understand a lot of slang to be good.

I sort of want to see that Eminem movie... and that's not like me! I'm more of a It's a Wonderful Life kind of movie watcher.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 11:25 am
There was an article in last week's NYT Magazine which I think is no longer free, but was excellent, about Eminem specifically and rap in general. It's a genuine pop cultural phenomenon, and needs to be taken seriously, I think.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 11:29 am
Didn't see the article, but I believe it. Shocking, but true!

I saw some rushes from the movie, it looked good, especially the guy who plays EM'N's friend. Nice smile.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 11:30 am
My son knows all the words to Eminem's most popular songs. Have to admit that I thought his song about the crazed fan was pretty good.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 11:33 am
I am TOTALLY out of the loop on this one. I remember hearing one song when it first came out, and right then and there, I decided that it was not my "cup of tea"!
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 12:25 pm
Not my thing either. I like my country music and oldies. When I was a teenager I loved the hard rock like AD/DC, Led Zepplin, Aerosmith, etc.., but I've mellowed quite a bit since then. I was a wild one Laughing
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 05:24 am
Rapp!
Listening to the rhythm and beat of Rapp , it's easy to pick up the Afro-Haitian's variations common to Dunham dancing.

I like the music, but some of the words are a bit difficult to pick up.

:wink:
0 Replies

Thinkzinc

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 04:26 pm
I really like hip hop today. The reason it is popular is the clever combination of great samples and clever lyrics. I'm not saying all hip hop songs have clever lyrics, lol, but those that do are often a lot smarter than many other of other genres. Listening to an artist freestyle on issues of the day can be fantastic. It is definitely a progressive style of music, where some other genres have become stagnant. Smile
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 08:41 pm
Welcome, welcome, welcome, Thinkzinc!

I'm aging myself, but what do you consider hip-hop?

I'm a classical/alternative gal myself. (Puccini and Metallica. Make sense?)
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 10:35 pm
it used to be a battle here with the gansta rap in one room, foul in my opinion, reggae in the other, top 40 in the other all blasting away at full volume.
but now i come home and hear dylan, the byrds, csny, joni....and i don't complain anymore. i must be getting old.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 11:11 pm
The music I find boring but I love the words. It reminds me in it protest of Raggae muic, when you really listen there is poetry there. But because I do not care for the background music I tend to lose intrest quickly.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 11:20 pm
poetry is one thing, smut is another. all music soothes the soul in one way or another i think, for me anyway.

artists are artists and freedom of speech is one of my standards that i would fight to the death for.

i must be stuck,,, with these visions of johanna...
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 11:35 pm
Well mikey there is a lot of sexy and similar references in poetry but it is done in the the classical sense it is just that the actually meaning of what is being said is less direct but not less smutty. I guess I would say smut is in the eye of the beholder based on some inner weirdness. Ducking and running from those who think differently.

definitely I agree with you music is what makes the world go round.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 11:51 pm
i'm on your side Joanne, but ahhhh, i can't even post here some of the so called gangsta 'poetry' i've heard in this house. classical? in it's own right no doubt as far as being an artist or musician. i'm no angel or prude but these guys, alot of them are not artists, and the kids fall for it. but i guess we all fell for alot of nonsense in my day.
i always listen tho...

it's mellowed out here music wise now thank god.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 12:07 am
Did I miss something in the previous post?
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 12:16 am
more than likely...
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 12:27 am
Well I am way tired, will go back and re-read with more precision tomorrow, nite good friend.
0 Replies