Ease my mind: kenneling the pup

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 04:32 pm
We're taking a trip and will be gone for 10 days.

We lived in our old neighborhood long enough, and our pets were old enough that we usually had a neighbor check on them a few times a day or had a friend house-sit but that isn't going to happen this time.

I have someone coming in to check on the cat a few times while we're gone but she's completely selfl-sufficient so it really probably isn't even necessary.

The puppy though....

I know he will be safer at a kennel than at home.

I found what looks like a good kennel and have taken a tour.

I thought I was mentally prepared.

.... Until we took the pup to be neutered. He flipped out so bad that the vet called and suggested we pick the pup up instead of having him spend the night at the office.

I talked to the vet at that time about kenneling and he suggested that we take tranquilzers to the kennel.

So today I picked up tranquilizers.

After talking to the vet we decided on a low dose to be taken no more than twice a day and filled the prescription in a way that it could not really be abused (we hope).

Anyway.

I'm starting to feel very nervous for my pup and I don't want to spend my whole trip worrying about him.

Do you have any advice for the kennell-bound?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,117 • Replies: 12
No top replies

martybarker

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 04:46 pm
Does your pup have any experience being around other dogs? My dog would actually like having playmates.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 04:54 pm
Up until a couple of weeks ago we had another dog -- she was very old though.

Pup, aka Diamond, is very social and plays with lots of other dogs.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 05:51 pm
If you don't like the kennel, let me know and I'll ask my sis where they board their dog.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 10:40 pm
I don't know if you have anything like this in your area. But we actually have a pet hotel here. That is where I take my dog when I go away.
He has his own room. Even has his own radio for noise. Very Happy He gets walked and played with. Gets bathed and groomed if needed. Teeth brushed. All the things I do for him at home. I take his bed so he can sleep on it and some of his favorite toys so he is not leaving everything behind. He is such a friendly dog. Loves everyone so he really doesn't mind it too much. Though they say he does not want to eat the first day or so. But I think that is normal. They really do miss you when you're gone.

I guess for me, I just want someone to love on him a little. Cuz I love on him a lot! And they do that there.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 08:16 am
If you can find a kennel that also does doggy daycare it might work out better. That way for a big part of they day the puppy has companionship and will be wore out and sleep in the evenings.

Your puppy should be at least 4 better 6 months old for doggy daycare.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 10:15 am
Diamond is just over six months old. The kennel does offer doggy day care and we have Diamond signed up for that service.

In addition to the normal walking, playtime, pool, type things they have a fenced 10 acre field with a pond and a stream for free play. Truly, it's like a little dog country club.

littlek! Your sister! Jeez. My life has been so darn idiiotic lately the fact that she is nearly my neighbor now completely slipped my mind. (Blatham and Lola are here in town too, now.) I can't believe how retarded I am.....
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 10:23 am
They're having fun in puppy dog day care
http://www.puppydaycare.com/images/intropic02.jpg
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 01:23 pm
Then I think your puppy will be fine. I LOVE dogs as those on this post do. I can't understand people getting a dog and then crating it at home 8-10 hours a day on a regular basis. Why have the dog?

I know that because of work trips, vacations, sickness you sometimes have to leave the dogs at a kennel. A few hours of activity a day is OK for an older dog being kenneled from time to time but a puppy needs lovin'!

I wouldn't have gotten my new girl if this was not available, as I would have to leave her during the work day. The first thing I do if considering a contract out of my area is to see if there is a good doggy day care and a hotel that accepts dogs, if not I look for other work. My Beagle goes 5 days a week and LOVES daycare. She can't wait for the weekend to be over, she is spastic when I drop her off on Monday morning!

So I think that the little fellow will miss you but have a great time. I would suggest, if there is still time, to take him for a couple of half days of day care before you leave him for 10 days. If there is not time I still think you can have a guiltless vacation.

All this is just my opinion of course.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 11:15 am
Re: Ease my mind: kenneling the pup
boomerang wrote:

Do you have any advice for the kennell-bound?

How did you guys (pup and you) fare?

No matter how good the kennel, I don't think I'll ever like it as much as being able to find a house sitter. Harry came back "different" (for a few days) when I kenneled him and the last trip I took that I didn't have a house-sitter for I ended up taking him with me (even without being able to locate a hotel by phone at the destination that would accept pets).

I have a cat and a dog that like each other very much (sleep together etc) and the time I kenneled them they did not allow them to be together.

Next time I'm going to buy a large kennel and persuade a vet to keep them together in it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 12:19 pm
He did great! He really liked it there. The kennel we used is out in the country on a huge piece of land. The owners have a pack of three dogs and if your dog is accepted into the pack he is allowed to roam with the pack all day, only being caged at night. The "cages" were huge and had an indoor and outdoor area.

Our dog and cat are pretty good friends too but the cat fends for herself very well. We leave out a big bowl of food and water. She has indoor/outdoor access without our help. We had a friend stop by a couple of times to check on her and the fish.

I didn't want a house sitter for the dog since he is so young and anyone would we used would have been gone a large part of the day for work. Diamond requires lots of excercise and I was worried that he wouldn't get it from a house sitter.

I'd have no reservations about using this particular kennel again.

The only problem we had at all was me reestablishing myself as the leader. The first little bit of our first walk after his return was a little weird but he fell right back into our usual rhythm.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 12:22 pm
boomerang, I am glad your kennel worked out!

<holding promise -- gritting teeth>
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 12:28 pm
Oh come on.

You don't have to be nice to me just because I spent hours and hours frantically researching carnival rat art for you.

My fingertips are still a little bruised and weary but my health has otherwise returned to normal.

Plus, I now know that the absolute fortune I spent on a fancy-schmantzy art school education was not wasted as I was able to discern the proper stylistic references that allowed me to find the perfect rat image.

When you say your prayers tonight tell my dad that I didn't waste his money.
0 Replies