Microchips

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 07:59 am
How do they work?

I had one put in Flash Gordon when he got his nuts removed.
I also registered him with the city.

Isnt that the same thing?

Does the microchip have to stay in his shoulder blade area for it to be effective? Or do vets scan their whole bodies?

Is it mandatory for a vet to scan an animal?

I think I can feel that little thing under Flash's skin. It feels like a piece of pencil lead.
What is really sad.. is that I think Saki has one too. But I can not find that little lump again to be sure, and I am feeling selfish and not wanting to take her to a vet again to have them scan her.
She has had all of her shots , check ups and then some since we have had her. No scans.. that I know of..

Do you have to ask a vet to scan an animal?

Saki was in horrible shape when we got her. She had all kinds of tests done because she was so thin , we did not think she was really going to be very healthy at all.
Turns out she was just starved.
But through all that, the vets never said anything about a microchip scan. Nor do I think they actually performed one.

So what are they for then?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 870 • Replies: 3
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 09:12 am
Unless you ask for a scan a vet won't do one. Thats assuming he has the equipment.

You may be able to get your pet scanned at a shelter for free.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 09:44 am
Quote:
How do they work?

They encode a unique identification number that can be used to identify the animal if they get lost. It's like a tag that isn't dependent on the animal wearing a collar.

Quote:
I had one put in Flash Gordon when he got his nuts removed.
I also registered him with the city.

Isnt that the same thing?

Nope. Chip numbers are registered with private companies (like Avid or HomeAgain) who make the chips and maintain a database of owner information for chipped animals.

Quote:
Does the microchip have to stay in his shoulder blade area for it to be effective? Or do vets scan their whole bodies?

They tend to migrate a bit, sometimes quite far. They'll still be effective, though a thorough scan may be necessary to find the chip. The scan is not difficult -- you just wave the scanner over the animal within a few inches of the skin and the scanner receives the information.

Quote:
Is it mandatory for a vet to scan an animal?

No. The only reason a vet would scan the animal is to verify that the chip is present, to find out what the chip number is if the owner doesn't have it, or if the animal is a stray or ownership is disputed.

Quote:
I think I can feel that little thing under Flash's skin. It feels like a piece of pencil lead.
What is really sad.. is that I think Saki has one too. But I can not find that little lump again to be sure, and I am feeling selfish and not wanting to take her to a vet again to have them scan her.
She has had all of her shots , check ups and then some since we have had her. No scans.. that I know of..

The chip is about the size of a pencil lead. If Saki has one, it doesn't do her any good at all unless you are registered with the chip manufacturer as her owner, and your address and contact information with the company are kept current.

Quote:
Do you have to ask a vet to scan an animal?

Some may do it as a matter of course at the first visit, some may not. Usually the veterinarian or shelter who puts the chip in will pass the chip number along to the animal's owner so that they can register their information with whichever company makes the chip. If that hasn't happened, though, a simple scan will show the chip number and the manufacturer.

Quote:
Saki was in horrible shape when we got her. She had all kinds of tests done because she was so thin , we did not think she was really going to be very healthy at all.
Turns out she was just starved.
But through all that, the vets never said anything about a microchip scan. Nor do I think they actually performed one.

It's simple enough to call and ask if there is a chip number in Saki's medical record there. If it's not, they may be willing to do it for free (any tech or receptionist or intelligent chimp should be able to scan for the chip). To my mind, it would be worth a scan just to make sure that the little lump isn't something other than a microchip.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 06:42 pm
go to a large hospital,

Ask for a cat scan,

(groan)

Sorry
0 Replies