jodie34

Wed 13 Feb, 2008 10:12 pm
I am looking for a pasta sauce recipe that would be ok for someone that has heart problems.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 4,174 • Replies: 7
Topic Closed
No top replies

jespah

Thu 14 Feb, 2008 05:10 am
Hey jodie. Smile I'll be back later but I'm thinking something without cheese but instead with vegetables would be good. Would adding olive oil be okay, or is weight loss desired (a little olive oil should even be fine for that, you just don't want to add a lot as it does pack on the calories)?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Thu 14 Feb, 2008 07:50 am
I believe olive oil is good for everyone.

Here is a basic recipe. It relies more of flavorful veggies and hot pepper flakes than salt for taste. Buy really good canned tomatoes - I like Muir Glen Organic. You can also use fresh tomotoes when they are in season.

Basic Sauce:

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp. hot pepper flakes
3 cloves chopped/minced garlic
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
1 small carrot or 1/2 large carrot, finely chopped
1 small stalk of celery, including the green tops, finely chopped
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried basil or 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
(dried oregano is also an option)
1 28 oz. can whole tomatoes, including the juice, or 1 3/4 pound of fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 teaspoon tomato paste (optional for thickness)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

1 Heat olive oil in a large wide skillet on medium heat. Add the hot pepper flakes and garlic. Saute a minute or two. Add the chopped onion, carrot, celery and parsley. Stir to coat. Reduce the heat to low, cover the skillet and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are softened and cooked through. Careful not to burn, you can add a little water (2Tbsp) to speed up the process.

2 Remove cover. Increase the heat to medium high. Add the tomatoes, including the juice and shredding them with your fingers or cut them with a knife or kitchen scissors. Add the tomato paste and the basil (or oregano). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a low simmer, reduce the heat to low and cook, uncovered until thickened, about 15 minutes.

Trick for meat lovers: Buy a package of Boca or Morning Star soy faux ground meat crumbles . Add 1 Tbs. fennel seeds at the same time you add the hot pepper flakes. Add the soy crumbs 5 minutes before serving the sauce. It will taste like Italian sausages are in the mix. Really. I promise.

This sauce can be made ahead of time or double the recipe and freeze half.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Thu 14 Feb, 2008 08:09 am
Ohhhhh yum.

This would go wonderful over large thick slices of baked eggplant.
0 Replies

jespah

Thu 14 Feb, 2008 06:30 pm
Without the crumbles, I estimate that the entire pot of sauce shakes out this way re nutrition:
Calories 620
Calories from Fat 270
Total Fat 30 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1,240 mg
Total Carbohydrate 86 g
Dietary Fiber 21 g
Protein 16 g
Vitamin C 120% (of daily requirement)
Calcium 35%
Iron 60%

I am guessing that the recipe is about 2 - 4 servings so split the numbers accordingly.

With the crumbles:
Calories 780
Calories from Fat 310
Total Fat 35 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1,720 mg
Total Carbohydrate 96 g
Dietary Fiber 25 g
Protein 36 g
Vitamin C 120%
Calcium 40%
Iron 80%
So, if you have 1/4 of the pot (and include the crumbles), it's 195 calories, 8 fat grams and about 450 mg of sodium. Add pasta, with no salt added to the pasta cooking water (try lemon juice instead), plus a side salad, and that's a good, hearty dinner. If you wanted to add a little fat -- and you could although I wouldn't go nuts with it -- olive oil on bread, with garlic, is nice and is heart-healthy.

My figures are estimates; I only took into account the olive oil, tomatoes, carrots, celery, onion and tomato paste, then added the crumbles to my figures. Your mileage may vary but I really doubt that a 1/4 of the pot serving is more than 300 calories, all told.
0 Replies

juliapeter47

Mon 13 May, 2013 11:01 pm
Hello friends,
There are many recipes for pasta sauce available on internet. Here one of this i describe :
Require:

4 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 tomatoes, chopped
1 to 2 tablespoons tomato purée
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Process:
In the substantial pan around choice high temperature, make red onion with coconut oil right up until transparent. Wake with tomato plants, make right up until juice will start to thicken. Wake with tomato purée, sodium along with spice up. Lower high temperature along with simmer quarter-hour a lot more, right up until loaded along with heavy.

I have also other recipes but i like that.
Best of luck you.
0 Replies

stevem13

Fri 22 Nov, 2013 12:02 am
Hi.
I think this is something you were looking for.

Fibreful pasta sauce
Developed by  Emily Richards, P.H. Ec. ©The Heart and Stroke Foundation.

Makes about 9 cups (2.25 L) chunky and about 8 cups (2 L) puréed
This is one of the most versatile sauces around. You can eat it as a vegetable chili on its own, or toss it with your favourite whole-wheat pasta. Try ladling it over some roasted or grilled chicken or fish for a new sauce idea. When puréed, you can add some vegetable stock for easy vegetable soup. It just doesn’t get any better than this.
Ingredients
1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp (15 mL) dried oregano
1/2 tsp (2 mL) red pepper flakes
1 zucchini, sliced
1 each sweet red and green pepper, chopped
2 cans (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh Italian parsley
Ingredients
In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat and cook onion, carrot, garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add zucchini and red and green peppers, cook, stirring for about 2 minutes or until well coated.
Add tomatoes, chickpeas, basil and parsley and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover partially and simmer for about 1 hour or until thickened and vegetables are very tender.
Sauce can be served as is or puréed for a smoother, thicker sauce. Simply ladle sauce into food processor or blender and purée until smooth. Return to saucepan and heat through.
Storage: Let sauce cool to room temperature and place in freezer bags or airtight containers and freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition information per serving
Calories: 114
Protein: 5 g
Fat: 3 g
Saturated fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 g
Carbohydrates: 20 g
Fibre: 4 g
Sodium: 381 mg
Potassium: 623 mg
0 Replies

juliapeter47

Fri 27 Dec, 2013 03:42 am
Hello friends,
There are many recipes for pasta sauce available on internet.
0 Replies