Best in Show

Gala

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 11:19 am
Usually the Best in Show is regal and sophisticated, this little guy beats the band. What personality.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/numero-uno-for-beagle-best-in-show/2008/02/13/1202760396307.html

Too cute.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,160 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Chai

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 01:29 pm
Beagles always hate me for some reason.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 01:34 pm
This one wouldn't.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 01:41 pm
Chai wrote:
Beagles always hate me for some reason.

Stop wearing the Little Friskies perfume.

I'm just glad the poodles didn't win. Poodles are purely for decoration.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 01:42 pm
Poodles are obnoxious
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 01:55 pm
I was so proud of my Beagle this morning not lording the fact the she belonged to the BEST bread over the other dogs at doggy day care. She wanted to be treated just like always. She says she still chases rabbits "one paw at a time."

Dogs Rule! Beagles are KING!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 01:55 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Poodles are obnoxious

I hear they make nice coats.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 02:08 pm
He is such a handsome little guy.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 02:09 pm
TheCorrectResponse wrote:
I was so proud of my Beagle this morning not lording the fact the she belonged to the BEST bread over the other dogs at doggy day care. She wanted to be treated just like always. She says she still chases rabbits "one paw at a time."

Good parenting, give yourself some credit.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 02:20 pm
Thanks Gala, but SHE'S the mature one in the family.

Chi:
You should check your geneology...you must be the devil. I didn't think a Beagle was capable of hating anything. My Beagle thinks that anything that moves is in LOVE with her! People, animals, dried leaves blowing in the breeze, everything.

We have a little scruffy dog in the neighborhood who hates all dogs. He has tried barking, growling, nipping, biting...but Madison takes all this as play posturing. The little guy has finally given up dissuading her and now tries his best to ignore her as she lovingly follow right behind him and his owner on their walk!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 02:51 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Poodles are obnoxious

Are you talking about all poodles, or just those little yappy ones?

Standard size poodles can be really cool, and they're very smart.

I remember this one guy used a standard sized poodles for a sled racing team. They were rough and tough.

http://home.gci.net/~poodlesleddog/running.PNG

they were originally breed to be hunting dogs, water dogs specifically.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/8/80/300px-Bo_WC_.jpg

Re the beagles....I had one snap at me once as a little kid. She had her puppies with her.

BUT.....she was letting all the other kids touch them, for some reason she didn't like me. Like I was Damien from the Omen.
So, since I'm leary, the other beagles probably sense that in me.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 08:17 am
One Beagle's Win a Loss for Others
by Ketzel Levine

Morning Edition, February 14, 2008 ยท Beagle lovers are celebrating the triumph of one of their own this week at the Westminster Dog Show. A beagle named, Uno, made history as the first beagle to win the "Best in Show" crown. The result could be a surge of beagles in animal rescue shelters.

Click to listen to interesting story

It's horrible when a breed become popular because of people seeing it in the public eye, and are not prepared to attend to its needs.

I remember after a sequel to 101 Dalmations came out back in the late 80's (or early 90's?) and you suddenly saw these beautiful spotted dogs all over. Dogs that require enormous amounts of exercise, and have a very enthusiastic personality. Perfect for a very small percentage of the population, but not for most.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 08:29 am
Very true Chai. Six months after a dog movie comes out, shelters are bombarded with dogs named Beethoven, Sandy, Chance etc. The kids all cry to get a puppy and then mom gets tired of taking care of it.

The saddest thing about beagles is that for years they were the main breed used for veterinary research. The dogs were breed at a careless rate and the result was a flood of beagles with genetic epilepsy . This kind of epilepsy often does not show up until the fourth year of life, and some of these dogs were also given away or sold as pets. The result has been something like one out of five US beagles has epilepsy, and because of it's late occurrence, many dogs with the gene are still being breed.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 11:45 am
One thing I did like about the show was that as each dog breed came out, they explained about its personality and what sort of person(s) would do well with the breed. Hopefully this prevents some of the idiots to just obtain the breed because of its looks.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 06:30 pm
Linkat wrote:
One thing I did like about the show was that as each dog breed came out, they explained about its personality and what sort of person(s) would do well with the breed. Hopefully this prevents some of the idiots to just obtain the breed because of its looks.

I agree.

Even though I don't think I'll ever be a dog owner, I really love watching dog shows and will always stop and watch if I catch one on.

Funny thing though, some breeds, if you saw them walking down the street, you'd think...."that's a heinz 57"

some of them, like some of new newly recognized breeds in the herding/working catagory, just sorta look like the picture in your head when you think "general, all purpose dog"

Or, a breed that's been around for awhile, like an affenpinscher....

http://www.puppyfind.com/breed/affenpinscher/l_415065.jpg

I'm sorry, but for as long as I live, I'll never be able to look at this dog without thinking......that is just one butt fugly mutt.

It looks like the result of what would happen if your runt of the litter female all purpose gimpy dog got out one night and had a rodeo with the dog that lives under the porch of the guy down the street....you know, that crazy scraggly one that's always crapping on your lawn.
0 Replies