direction of the radiation reaction force

miazhou

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 10:06 pm
as we know, when a charged particle accelerates, it radiates photons.
these radiated photons have a back reaction to the charged particle itself -- the recoil force or the radiation reaction force.

i was wondering what the direction of this force should be. in the direction of the velocity? the acceleration? or something else?

(i have not taken QED, maybe someone who knows QED can give some insights?).

thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 760 • Replies: 1
No top replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 07:51 am
It's too difficult for me to give a detailed explanation in this type of forum but generally speaking it is in contradiction to the acceleration, if different from the velocity vector, as in a curved path. It is actually more complicated than that as you are taking into account both the force itself and also the stress on the curved path of the electrical field, i.e. there are two components. One of the consequences of this is when the velocity is very low the force is at a right angle to the direction of motion and so provides no reactive force at all. I hope that helps a little. You really need to see this diagramed out to get into details.
0 Replies