Cat poo-box scatter

Chumly

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 01:28 pm
Stinky the cat leaps out of the poo-box with a fair amount of velocity. Some of the clay littler on his paws gets carried out onto the bathroom floor.

I have tried a higher-walled poo-box but Stinky just leaps that much higher with that much more velocity, so some clay litter still gets transported out of the poo-box and onto the floor.

I could try a low-walled poo-box, but Stinky seems to like to leaping out after he has done his business, so I am not sure if a low-walled poo-box would induce him to gingerly step out instead of leaping.

I think what is happening is that Stinky tries to grip the clay littler when he leaps, thus carrying some of it onto the floor.

How can I stop the clay litter from getting transported out?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,376 • Replies: 20
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 01:33 pm
What about a covered litter box?

Then he cant jump.. he HAS to walk..
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 01:41 pm
OK I'm looking.......
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 01:46 pm
Odd looking but very effective.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 01:54 pm
I switched to silica litter, and absolutely love it.

Much cleaner. Much easier to clean. LOOKS cleaner because it is white.

My little Essa is a leaper too. Used to make a horrid mess. Now a few pebbles might go flying, but it is much easier to sweep those up.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 01:54 pm
silica litter?

whats that?
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 02:27 pm
It's a newer form of litter. Little white granules or pebbles.

Here's a pic

http://www.pestell.com/pet/lib/prd/cat_litter/pets_pal_silica.jpg

Some people love it. Others hate it. It is somewhat debatable.

I've found it a bit more expensive to buy per package, but cheaper overall.

It's a little different than regular litter in that you leave it there for nearly a month without changing it. Only scooping out the poop and pee.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 03:06 pm
Is that like clumping litter?

We just discovered a really good clumping litter at PetSmart....called equisicat.

40 lbs for 10 bucks...the cheapest stuff they have, and works great. The feature we like is that it's NOT granules, very fine sand like.

we put an old beach towel under the box, so when the pooper get out of the box, the litter pretty much doesn't make it past the towel.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 03:26 pm
It doesn't really clump. The poop just sort of sticks to the granules, and you scoop them out.

It's super absorbant so the pee just soaks into it. Hard to describe.

I like the towel idea. I think I'll use that!

No idea about the type of litter you are describing, Chai.

By the by - who here uses those hooded enclosed litter boxes? Are they worth it?

I've seen some that have filters to help screen out the smell. I'm just wondering if they are worth the money, and what the downsides of them are.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 05:18 pm
I use nothing but enclosed litter boxes.

Less over all smell that way and it helps keep the litter contained.

For those wild diggers ?.. it keeps the litter IN the box

For those who bury their stuff for hours on end? It helps keep that contained as well.

I just bought and absolutely LOVE this litter box.

I seem to be the only person in this house capable of cleaning up after the cats Confused for some odd reason.

THis litter box has made cleaning so easy, I do it daily without a sweat.
You have to use clumping litter with it or you will only be sifting poop and nothing else..
But you turn it to its side slowly and all of the clumps gather against a grate. You give it a final turn ( almost turning it on its top) and the clumps fall into a little tray.
You set the litter box back up, and slide that tray out and dump it in the trash.

Im a dork.. but since I got this box I am almost excited to clean the litter box it is SOOOO damn easy.
My hands stay clean, and I dont get any excess litter on the floor from holes in the bags.
It is almost the same color as my walls so you dont even notice it behind my potted plants.

love it love it love it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 05:28 pm
I think the cat litter you are talking about is also known as cat crystals.

They come in either blue or white and they absorb all odor so that you only
have to change it maybe once a month for one cat and every couple of weeks for more cats.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 05:34 pm
mushypancakes, we also use the silica litter. Have been using it for a couple of years now. I love it because it does not smell at all if you keep it clean. And I take out the poo and flush it down the toilet. Perfect!

We have a covered litter box. I don't know if the filter thingy works. The cats thought its was not necessary and removed it pretty quickly. Confused
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 11:21 pm
I use the covered boxes as well. I don't have one that sounds as fancy as Shewolfs, but it does the job. I have 4 cats and one likes to fling litter like a dog in the sand, the hood keeps it all in. One of my girl cats doesn't remain seated for her entire performance and the covered box keeps her urine from going over the side.

I've seen that crystal litter in the store and have thought about trying it. Right now I use clumping litter.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 12:41 am
I find this rather odd..........but my thread is now "Featured". This would count as a new high in low-down-ness!

I took my largest Rubbermaind storage bin and cut a cat-sized hole in the lid.

Stinky went in no problem-o, but he still has a tendency to try and spring out after he's done his duty, thus some if the clay litter still affixes itself to his paws. It's better than the open low-rise poo-bin he was using before though.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 01:25 am
Riveting stuff in this thread.

Absolutely riveting.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 01:35 am
Perhaps this will enliven your riveting:

The anal stage, which lasts from about 18 months to 3 years, is typified by the pleasure in controlling the bowels In the early stage, gratification is from giving up feces (anal expulsion), but after the start of toilet training pleasure comes from retaining feces (anal retention).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 02:59 am
Chumly wrote:
I find this rather odd..........but my thread is now "Featured". This would count as a new high in low-down-ness!

Laughing

Well this flying-all-over-the-place-litter-mess is a very important issue in many peoples' lives, Chumly! I'm not at all surprised this thread is featured!

Thank the goddess my cat "goes" outside, that's all I can say! :wink:
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 06:18 am
Our litterbox is not only covered - it looks like a dome or spaceship and has a clear plastic shield in front. So the cats cannot go in and out straight but have to enter at the side. This way they cannot jump out like they used to do. They have to move out carefully. Unfortunately, this type of litterbox is not being sold anymore. I tried to find a picture but couldn't. It is a bit hard to explain...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 11:42 am
You could always toliet train your cat...

http://drwhiteley.com/Percy.jpg
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 12:33 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Odd looking but very effective.

OMG - this picture of your cat box.

It looks like something from a Busby Berkley film, winding staircase, elegant dome....like the cat is gonna wear a feather headdress to take a dump.

http://www.petco.com/Assets/product_images/2/2350350021B.jpghttp://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2006/02/06/PH2006020601923.jpg
0 Replies