Favourite underground hip hop artist(s)

Gargamel

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 11:31 am
dagmaraka wrote:
Relative indeed. Where I come from, underground was associated with jail time...

Oh, yeah, the Eastern Bloc (I'm presuming) connotation of "underground" is another thing completely. Seriously. I would have feared Ceausescu way more than any of these Crystal-drinking dandies.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 11:34 am
i'm afraid i know nothing about old school or new school...i'm a furriner and a woman- which means i know music through ex-boyfriends (ever notice how men dump music on their partners? not that i complain, i learned a lot this way).... i only know a select few artists that i like or that i come across. i got to french hip-hop through watching street -running videos and movies....love some of it....though it can also be awfully cheasy.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 11:50 am
****. I have to restrain myself not to be so controlling about music. I'm taking my girlfriend to a Dirtbombs show tomorrow. Then again, I've read five books she's recommended in about seven months. At least she has excellent taste.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 06:37 pm
Nah, it's good education. And it's cute, usually.... until the BF seizes your computer and dumps 30+ CDs into your iTunes...two thirds of which you don't care for...plus, you never invited him to do so in the first place...then it's time to dump the BF in return. so watch those boundaries and remain on the cute side.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 11:24 am
Hmm. I would have a slightly different definition of underground. Yes, indie labels. Don't sell many records or get much airplay. And they are not commercial in any way. They dont rhyme about cash or "b*tches" or any of the topics you'll here 50cent or other commercial rappers rap about. Yes, you could say some of them are "political" or "conscious" is another word they like to use to describe it.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 05:46 pm
I can't believe none of the 'rap is crap' crowd said that they'd prefer all hip hop artists to be 'under ground'.

I don't suppose Australian hip hop has any traction over there?

I'm kinda fond of The Herd and Butterfingers and quite a few others on the bottom of this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_hip_hop

But I suspect what makes them Australian is also what makes them palatable. (we don't smack many bitches up or do caps in asses....)
0 Replies

nickwall

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 04:53 pm
favourite alternative hip hop tracks
I've posted a list of my favourite 50 alternative / underground tracks here : http://musictodiefor.wordpress.com/50-greatest-alternative-hip-hop-tracks/ . One track per artist, and a link to a youtube video of each song. Check it out !
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 08:22 am
Re: favourite alternative hip hop tracks
nickwall wrote:
I've posted a list of my favourite 50 alternative / underground tracks here : http://musictodiefor.wordpress.com/50-greatest-alternative-hip-hop-tracks/ . One track per artist, and a link to a youtube video of each song. Check it out !

Excellent. Some of those tracks really take me back. It was cool to see the Digables get a nod. I always thought Blowout Comb, their follow up to Reachin', was overlooked.

Hinge: look forward to checking out Aussie hip-hop.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 01:27 pm
Aussie hip hop?

Really?

This I need to hear.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 06:05 pm
Dorothy Parker wrote:
Aussie hip hop?

Really?

This I need to hear.

Here's the aussie hip hop tag page on Last Fm

http://www.last.fm/tag/aussie+hip-hop

Pity the hilltop hoods aren't on yet, but you'll get a sense.
0 Replies

PastaRoni

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 02:17 pm
Jus Allah is good by himself too
tonedeffs speed and flow and producing ability are top notch
i like cunninlynguists, the rest of qn5, murs, talib, el=p just to name a few.
0 Replies