Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,090 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 04:39 pm
Jedi Mind Tricks
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 12:57 pm
MF Doom and his many alter egos--Viktor Vaughn, Madvillain, etc.
Del tha Funkee Homosapien (new album drops in March)
Mr. Lif
Cannibal Ox (no longer in operation)

There are others, but I put the abovementioned in a class of their own. They team up with the right producers for their style, and their lyrics are some of the best in music, period.

My experience tells me hip hop is not popular among most A2Kers, with the exception of the rap battlers of course, but to the curious and open minded who want to sample the world of underground hip hop, I send you here: http://store.definitivejux.net/store/index.htm
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 01:09 pm
Fur Q
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 08:05 am
El-p
Company Flow
KRS-One
Cannibal Ox
Nas (well, not so much his new stuff)
Immortal Technique
RZA
Wu-Tang
The Roots

In fact, the list just goes on and on.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 09:32 am
Hey Quincy,

Do you know where I can get a copy of Funcrusher Plus? It's out of print, I think, and it's going for 40 bucks on ebay. That's a ripoff.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 02:23 pm
Funcrusher Plus has to be in my top 3 albums of all time. It's absolutely amazing.
I have a copy, but it's missing a few tracks (yes, a bootleg).

You can try www.albumbase.com, but you might have trouble with rapidshare/megaupload or whatever.

If you have trouble with that, then I can upload it for you (on to a better site, like yousendit) and then you can download it.

Otherwise, if you're desperate, you can try getting it from here:
www.d12world.com/board/index.php
You need to register, stick around for a while, & post a bit (3 months and 150 post if I'm not mistaken), then you can request it in the music section.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 02:21 pm
Quincy wrote:
Funcrusher Plus has to be in my top 3 albums of all time. It's absolutely amazing.
I have a copy, but it's missing a few tracks (yes, a bootleg).

You can try www.albumbase.com, but you might have trouble with rapidshare/megaupload or whatever.

If you have trouble with that, then I can upload it for you (on to a better site, like yousendit) and then you can download it.

Otherwise, if you're desperate, you can try getting it from here:
www.d12world.com/board/index.php
You need to register, stick around for a while, & post a bit (3 months and 150 post if I'm not mistaken), then you can request it in the music section.

Yeah, had trouble with albumbase. But maybe you could hook me up on another site? I'd be grateful.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 07:22 am
I'll try get the tracks I'm missing, then I can upload it for you- but this could take a while, maybe a week or two.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 10:52 am
Quincy wrote:
I'll try get the tracks I'm missing, then I can upload it for you- but this could take a while, maybe a week or two.

That's cool. No hurry.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 01:24 am
I just cant get the two tracks I am missing- "Lencorcism" and "Help Wanted". Is it ok without those two tracks? You need to let me know what website you want me to upload it to, then pm me your e-mail adress or something, so I can send you the link.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 07:02 am
Gargamel wrote:
Hey Quincy,

Do you know where I can get a copy of Funcrusher Plus?

Limewire...
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:23 am
I've heard many people talking of Limewire, and I'm always afraid to ask, for fear of looking like I've spent my life in a cage- but thanks to the anonymity (er, I dont think that's a word) I can ask- "What is Limewire?"
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:26 am
Lime wire is a person to person file sharing program.

You have to download the 'system' , then you can just do a simple search for any person, record, song, movie, book..e tc.. that you are looking for.

if someone else has that album/book/movie.. etc and has placed it as a share file on their version of limewire, you can then copy theirs.

http://limewire.com/

I sample alot of music before I buy the album, watch A LOT of local tv shows with out a television, and find out of print movies through it.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 09:42 am
why "underground" hip hop artists?

does that mean they are poor? do they sing for a cause rather than money? (not those mentioned here, most are pretty well off).
do they "sing against the regime"? (who doesn't....). They are surely not going to prison for that...are they? I mean, back in the day, during communism, the 'underground' singers did go to prison... what does it mean here in this context? anyway, the term always confused me.

i like some of french hip-hop.... Said and Muhammad. Also le 3-ieme Oeil. I also love Sudanese artist Emmanuel Jal and Czech Gipsy.cz......
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 09:56 am
dagmaraka wrote:
why "underground" hip hop artists?

does that mean they are poor? do they sing for a cause rather than money? (not those mentioned here, most are pretty well off).
do they "sing against the regime"? (who doesn't....). They are surely not going to prison for that...are they? I mean, back in the day, during communism, the 'underground' singers did go to prison... what does it mean here in this context? anyway, the term always confused me.

i like some of french hip-hop.... Said and Muhammad. Also le 3-ieme Oeil. I also love Sudanese artist Emmanuel Jal and Czech Gipsy.cz......

Underground = indie-label. Typically not played on radio or MTV or BET either. I think that's the defining criteria, and does not exactly extend to lyrical content. I really like this duo called "Clipse," and they bascially rap about dealing coke and having shitloads of cash (but their rhymes are awesome and the Neptunes' beats are the ****). However, many of the artists mentioned on this thread thus far are "political," or sing about more than money and bitchez. Hence they are less marketable and less likely to be picked up by a major.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 10:07 am
Confused ok then.... i understand, not that i particularly like it. 'underground' IS often profitable....i wish words were used more judiciously, but hey...then there would be world peace or somehing.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 10:14 am
dagmaraka wrote:
Confused ok then.... i understand, not that i particularly like it. 'underground' IS often profitable....i wish words were used more judiciously, but hey...then there would be world peace or somehing.

It's all relative, I think. Kanye West makes wwwwwaaaaaaaayyyyy more money than Clipse. I mean, Kanye is selling more records than any recording artist today, period. It's a huge market. Only hip-hop heads are buying, say, Aesop Rock records. Also worth considering is that Kanye now has to put out a hit single every year or so. And he can't say anything to piss off Pepsi. "Underground" artists don't face that kind of pressure. They have more creative freedom, I guess. But you're right, no one with a record deal is exactly starving.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 11:21 am
Relative indeed. Where I come from, underground was associated with jail time...

Anyway, I also like Q-Tip, Raphael Saadiq and Tricky....not sure where they belong, but I guess they'd qualify
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 11:28 am
dagmaraka wrote:
Relative indeed. Where I come from, underground was associated with jail time...

Anyway, I also like Q-Tip, Raphael Saadiq and Tricky....not sure where they belong, but I guess they'd qualify

Funny that you mention Q-tip. There was a time when ALL hip-hop was kinda underground--in that you never heard Tribe Called Quest on the radio, though in the early 90s rap boom you could see them on MTV. And now, I think, a lot of people buying Tribe and De La Soul records are probably indie hip-hop fans. I imagine old-school fans aren't so crazy about mainstream rap these days.
0 Replies