2.4 ghz Phones and Microwaves

quinn1

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 08:56 pm
Can someone explain to me what the thing is here?
I understand the basics and all but, is it the phone that will be impared or the microwave? If they're both in use of course.
If my microwave is only 10 ft from my phone, and even if I bring the phone into the other room its only a whole nother 5 ft, so Im only at 15 feet and the recommended footage from microwaves is 20ft...is this really all that bad?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,335 • Replies: 30
No top replies

fishin

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 09:10 pm
The problem is that microwave ovens use a magnetron to develop RF (Radio Frequency) radiation at 2.45 GHz, just above the 2.4GHz the phones use.

Using the phone near the oven isn't going to hurt the oven. You may get static on the phone or disconnects and it's POSSIBLE (not likely, but possible) that there could be enough energy from the microwave to damage the phone. Of course, any problems are only going to happen when the microwave is in use. While It's sitting idle it isn't generating anything.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 09:11 pm
quinn

The problem is only now beginning to become apparent, as home telephones in the 2.4 G range become more common.

What will happen, and I don't want to get too technical here, but your concerns should really be directed towards whoever it is you are talking to when both appliances are engaged. It's really a similar principle to the seashell or the train tracks. If you move too closely to the microwave while talking on the phone to, say, your mother in law, neither appliance will be reduced in output efficiency, but your mother in law will get alarmed by the sound of the peas screaming.

Any time you need help, please feel free to email me directly.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 09:15 pm
fishin...thanks, that clears it up guess Ill time the microwave to not be in use when the phone rings...lol no really though, gotcha!

blatham...peas..in the microwave...thats just plain mean Smile
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 09:16 pm
Man , o man,....screaming peas,...I'll never get to sleep now!! Laughing
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 09:18 pm
Not quite enjoyable as say counting sheep, I know
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 01:29 am
No relief there either, I'm afraid - the sheep heard the peas too. Shear terror.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 02:05 pm
This is interesting. I never heard anything about not putting a phone near a microwave. One of my phones is right next to the microwave, but I don't think I ever used them both at the same time.

I now also have peas on the brain, lol Laughing
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 04:19 pm
Hay Gezzy..nice to see you!
I have a phone next to my microwave to, however its probably not even as good as say a 900mhz model.
The next time you need to update one of your phones, you will find that most models are now 2.4 ghz models. See fishins post regarding 2.4 ghz and microwaves.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 04:21 pm
sheep/shear terror

uh boy
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 04:30 pm
Can I open my eyes now,..have the peas and the sheep stopped screaming yet????
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 04:37 pm
At least they arent screaming lambs..then Id be thinking someone around here was really nuts. <vague reference to Silence of The Lambs>

I think however, the microwave and phone a playing a symphony Wink
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 05:29 pm
Screams have died away. Carcasses have been removed. There is no sign now of what had taken place.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 06:21 am
Hey Quinn1
Great to see you as well :-D Todays technology baffles me every day.

I thought I was going to dream about screaming peas last night, but I got lucky and didn't dream at all. I think Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 09:28 am
eh..you were probably fleeced by the sheep thinnking you didnt dream
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 09:46 am
LOL, you're probably right. Good thing though because any distractions from screaming peas is welcome. I'm wondering if I should think twice about growing peas in my garden next year. It could cause some kind of delayed reaction Twisted Evil
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 09:54 am
The carcasses have been exhumed, the screaming - that horrid horrid screaming - revisited. Bad mistake. Have you two seen "The Curse of the Mummy"?
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 10:03 am
Oh no!!!! What shall I do? Everyone, run for your lives!!!!

Stay tuned for the next episode of the screaming peas followed by the return of the screaming sheep. Coming soon in theaters near you is the screaming peas and screaming sheep unite and rule the world.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 08:42 pm
gezzy

I think you must have seen the Japanese version titled....
"Terror! Garden Eating Tokyo To Death!"
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 08:46 pm
LOL, hahahaha!!!!! Maybe you're right. I do remember seeing a movie a long time ago called "the revenge of the killer tomatoes" or something like that.

Boy, this is going to change my gardening forever, lol Laughing
0 Replies