16:9 ratio help COMCAST

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 03:23 pm
hello all i just got the motorola dch 3416 dvr box from comcast and it looks and works perfect except it makes all non HD channels 16:9 instead of 4:3 which stretches things out and makes the images fatter. my old HD box from comcast used to automatically switch between 4:3 and 16:9 depending on what the channel should have displayed for some reason this box is not, evertyhing is 16:9. Anyone have the same problem or a solution?
thanks in advance
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 13,134 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 12:51 pm
There should be a # HD/ZOOM gray button on the lower right-hand side of the remote that should change the screen ratio. However, if you have an older plasma TV, I wouldn't recommend the black or even gray bars for a 4:3 ration picture. It will eventually burn-in an artifact image of the bars. If you have a newer plasma, they've attempted to solve that problem but I still would not watch any 4:3 image without stretching or zooming (zoom will cut off some of the top and bottom unless, like Turner Classic Movies that are widescreen, the channel is letterboxing. This will fill the screen with a 16:9 image without cutting off much of the outside edges of the image. I don't have the Motorola, so your cable box remote could have the ratio button somewhere else on the remote.

There's also configuration in the settings menu in "more settings" which is suppose to program the HD 16:9 to be shown in the correct ratio and 4:3 with sidebar, stretch or zoom.

It could also be a configuration setting in your TV's remote control which you will have to consult the user manual to set it correctly.

It's going to be some time even after the February 2009 mandate for all digital broadcasting for everything to go HD 16:9 so don't hold your breath.
0 Replies

abe froman

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 07:51 am
yeah i got it the guy who carged 35$ to install the box set the box to stretch everthing to 4:3 so if this happens to anyone else turn off your cable box and immediatley press menu on the box and select 4:3 and you have option to strecth the images or make 480i or 480p but dont stretch it looks like crap!!!!!!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 09:34 am
It makes everyone look like they gained weight so it helps if you're watching
Project Runway 'cause the models are all skin-and-bones. However, it makes Al Roker look like he's off his diet. You still should be able to change ratio with the TV remote control, if there isn't an option on the cable control. If you do have a DLP or LCD display, it won't be affected by watching with the black or gray bars in 4:3. The TV remote should say "Wide", "Aspect" or "Format." These designers of remotes are schizophrenic and cannot reach a standard for anything. Just set up a SONY LCD display and a DVD player with their crazy menu. On the basic model TV, the menu button was marked
"HOME." On my Mitsubishi remote, menu is "Menu." Since most people who own late model big screen hi-def wide screen TV's and also own computers, why can't they stick to "Menu?"

Again, if you have a earlier plasma, be careful watching for more than 15 minutes with black baor gray bars -- you will permanently burn-in the image of the bars. On newer sets, you have to read the manual to see what each manufacturer recommends to take advantage of their fix-it for burn in.
0 Replies