i need some help with dog "events?"

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 02:25 pm
i want to get my dog into weight pulling and agility trials or whatever, where can i go to get started? is there a national league or someshit?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,258 • Replies: 8
No top replies

TTH

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 02:31 pm
What do you mean by weight pulling? What kind of dog do you have? Also what are you wanting your dog to do?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 06:57 pm
Here's an idea: http://dogsports.com/ They talk about pulling and things like Schutzhund. You could probably email them and get more specific info for your area.

TTH, Ogionik has a female pit bull.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 03:37 pm
a female rednose pitbull i,( a quarter chocolate lab) performance type, and a puppy from her that is from bullmastiff father.

he kept his yellow eyes i want to mate him with another rednose female with yellow or green eyes that would make some badass puppies

thanks for the link.

i wanted to like, sign up for a national league doing obstacle courses or something, my dog is just amazing at it.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 04:07 pm
We have an American Bulldog and I looked into this to get some of the "need to pull" energy out of him. I decided against it after I found out it can wear out the dog's body over time and shorten their lives. Most of the pulling breeds love the activity, but it has to be done right.

You do have to invest in a few really good pulling harnesses. Just search "dog pull harness" on Google. Buy the best you can afford. Dogs should
start wearing a training harness from puppyhood on. It's better than a choke collar anyway, which only strangles the dog. A good harness works as an "emergency break" since it's always easiest to stop a dog by controlling the power in their chest muscles.

Here's an article that has some good advice:

Weight Pulling Competition for Dogs

I'm not sure what the rules are for mutts, but this is the code for American Bulldogs:

Competition Rules

Here's some free information:
Weight Pulling Guide

It takes a lot of patience to properly train a dog to be show quality. It's also important to do the training properly so the dog does not get hurt. I've heard horror stories of dogs having to be put down because they were damaged beyond repair by an over eager owner who gave them too much weight too fast or were too cheap to buy the proper equipment.
A professional show will disqualify a dog for not having the right harness.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 04:18 pm
Notice the harness:
http://www.k9breedlist.com/images/Lance__Lesli_Rose_American_Bulldog.jpg

They usually pull things like cinderblocks or carts stacked with bags of dog food. Believe it or not, they actually like doing this:
http://www.realpeak.com/_images/testimonialPics/Ox2.jpg
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 04:29 pm
i have a rather cheap harness for walks its good quality but i have my sights set on a really expensive leather one, i noticed from her puppyhood that she will just pull and pull and pull and pull , i mean she can pull me on a skateboard at full sprint for miles, i just try to hang on for dear life.

omg and the puppy is part bullmastiff, i think she will do better at the agility trials, but i want to weightpull her to get some more muscles, thanks for the links.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 04:38 pm
i think i need to stop using google. nothin but bs for the first 3 pages, or revise tthe terms i use
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 09:09 pm
This is not what you asked for, but you might find it interesting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r91z8t7owZw
0 Replies