Goodby ***hole Wine

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 08:21 am
there are some people in the area that will allow you to make , age and bottle your own wine... they will put your custom labels on it.

I am going to make a batch (30 bottles) of "Goodbye ***hole" wine. It will say that , have a picture of george bush and on the bottom the date 1-20-09.

Squinney and I were discussing the possibility of marketing it and thought we might really be able to make a profit on it. Yes i realize there are technicalities and legalities to doing it and of course I'd look into it.

What do you think of the idea though? From a strictly money making standpoint?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,377 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Captain Irrelevant

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 08:24 am
Grappa would work better than wine.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 08:35 am
I dunno. I have the feeling that by 1/21/09 the American people will want the thought of GWB to be a distant memory. Now if you can bottle the stuff quick, and sell it all by the end of the year, there are possibilities. But long term, nah!
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 08:37 am
I like it.

Maybe it won't make big bucks, maybe it will. I like the idea though, and see nothing to lose by trying it.

What will the wine taste like? Smile

I make my own wine from wine kits, and have had fun with it. Never tried marketing anything of course, as I suck at making it 'from scratch'.

Everything always turns to shine.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 08:37 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I dunno. I have the feeling that by 1/21/09 the American people will want the thought of GWB to be a distant memory. Now if you can bottle the stuff quick, and sell it all by the end of the year, there are possibilities. But long term, nah!

well of course I mean sell it pre Hillary inauguration....
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 09:14 am
Bear
Vinegar would be more appropriate than wine, don't you think?
Bad wine turns into vinegar.

BBB

When life gives you bad wine, make vinegar
By Jane Dornbusch, Boston Globe Correspondent
March 22, 2006

WELLESLEY -- Don't disturb the mother: In vinegar making, as in life, it's a cardinal rule.

But vinegar mother, it should be noted, is a bit more temperamental than its human counterpart. Disturb it, and it will destroy its children -- figuratively speaking, of course -- leaving would-be vinegar makers with little more than a batch of spoiled wine.

Vinegar mother is the live acetobacter bacteria that turns wine into vinegar. Contrary to popular belief, uncorked wine won't become vinegar on its own; the sulfites it contains to control spoilage prevent the formation of necessary bacteria. But add vinegar mother to wine and it will perform its special alchemy in eight weeks. It's similar to the fermenting process that creates yogurt, sourdough bread, and some cheeses.

It was a fascination with that process, and with the mother's teeming bacterial life, that led Wellesley resident Allan Engel to take up vinegar making some years ago. Engel is also an oenophile who often found himself with odd bits of unconsumed or undrinkable wine. ''Mainly, you don't want to drink bad wine. So I say, I'll just make it into good vinegar," Engel says on a recent Sunday morning as he prepares to decant and pasteurize his latest batch of home-fermented vinegar. The quality of the wine you start with doesn't affect the finished product, says Engel.

He began by ordering a batch of vinegar mother online. A Google search for vinegar mother yields several sources; locally, vinegar mother is available at Beer & Wine Hobby in Woburn. Once you have a bit, it's self-perpetuating; Engel just takes a little from each fresh vinegar crop before pasteurizing it to start the process anew.

Engel, an internist at Newton-Wellesley Hospital who says he loved chemistry and biology in college, tackles the chore with the precision of a scientist and the enthusiasm of a dedicated hobbyist. The batch that's ready to be pasteurized today has spent the past eight weeks in a large sun-tea container, its wide mouth covered with cheesecloth to let in oxygen but keep out pesky fruit flies.

Eight weeks ago, Engel explains, he started with a mixture of equal parts wine, water, and mother and combined them in a sterilized jar. Over a period of two months, the clear, pale-red liquid gradually built up a load of bacteria, and a thick, blush-colored mat of acetobacter formed on top. (Engel makes only red-wine vinegar.) This mat, the visible evidence of the mother's presence, elicits a certain fascination.

''The only thing I can compare it to is a placenta," the doctor says as he prepares to wrestle the tough plug of bacteria out of the jar. ''This never ceases to amaze; prepare to be stunned!"

It is rather amazing: a couple of inches thick, the color and texture of a raw tuna steak. Engel directs a visitor to hack at it with a knife and fork to gauge its rubbery solidity. The tangible effect of so much invisible bacterial activity is indeed impressive.

Engel ladles out some of the liquid mother and sets it aside. The rest of the new vinegar goes into a Crock-Pot, where it will cook for 1 1/2 hours to kill the bacteria. The process isn't complicated, but it does take patience. Once it's pasteurized, the vinegar is filtered and then stored in a dark place for six months.

For those accustomed to commercial red-wine vinegar, the finished product is a revelation. It's fruity, full, and complex. Commercial vinegar, when sampled alongside homemade, tastes like a blunt instrument of simple sourness.

Although the Engels do cook with vinegar -- the tart Sicilian eggplant dish caponata is a favorite -- most of the home-brewed vinegar ends up on salad.

No doubt mother would approve.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 09:18 am
It would make an interesting keepsake for some people but I wouldn't be moved to buy it unless it had a really smart looking label, something clever and fun, or the bottle had a unique shape to it.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 09:18 am
This is actually good wine and you can choose from different qualities... my preference would be a nice cabernet but for bush a white would be better don't you think? Too bad they don't make a lily white.... Laughing
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 09:22 am
Bear
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
This is actually good wine and you can choose from different qualities... my preference would be a nice cabernet but for bush a white would be better don't you think? Too bad they don't make a lily white.... Laughing

Would that be dry drunk cabernet for Bush?

BBB
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 09:26 am
eoe wrote:
It would make an interesting keepsake for some people but I wouldn't be moved to buy it unless it had a really smart looking label, something clever and fun, or the bottle had a unique shape to it.

I think a picture of george with goodbye **hole on the label would be pretty interesting to a lot of people.

If the bottle could be shaped like a dildo to represent what he's done to the country that might help.... :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 09:41 am
I'd dither about a comma before the Asshole. Without it, the phrase looks wrong to me. With it, it looks, well, just wrong.
I'd - were it my project, say in wine labelling school - do this:

Goodbye (writ large, in some excellent font, in dark red)

A not too gruesome but also not too nice photo of Bush (e.g., with a characteristic smirk)

Some phrase about the years of his presidency not aging well

Some phrase about the legitimacy of the wine (I concur with the white, if they have a good one, though I too prefer a good cab. Perhaps a choice?)

(And good graphics overall, for sure)
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 09:43 am
Be sure to list the ingredients on the label: 100% pure WMDs inside.

Everyone will buy it!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 09:45 am
Adds -

If you insist on the Asshole as a key part of the label, I'd put it below the Goodbye, in a different very bright color. Perhaps fluorescent green. Yellow is a possibility.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 10:26 am
Butrflynet wrote:
100% pure WMDs inside.

Good one. This is what I'm talking about. It's these comical details that's gonna sell it.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 03:38 pm
good wine and Bush don't go together. It's better to market now
some campaing wine. You could have sold plenty of Hillary wine just
before the SC primary.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 03:48 pm
Bush is more of a beer kinda guy with his frat boy mentality.
(no offense to any frat boys here.)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 04:15 pm
if i'd buy wine to celebrate GW's departure, i'll want a damn good wine! it's an occasion to enjoy.

I like osso's suggestions. (a**hole would turn me off from buying... but surely there'll be others who'd like it).
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 04:22 pm
If McCain wins, there's gonna be plenty of whine to go around.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 04:22 pm
premier Grand Crux from the BEN DOVER WIneries.
ID buy one just to send to 2 really annoying Conservative aquaintences.
What we talkin about per bottle? I dont wanna spend too much on those as sholes
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 04:56 pm
Laughing
0 Replies