phases of matter?

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 12:04 pm
i saw stuff on bose-einstein condensates and it was interesting stuff.

what are the official phases of matter then? <condensate> solid liquid gas <plasma>

and what is the highest temperature ever recorded? i hear about planck (umm upper limit i forget the word) where space-time actually starts falling apart (or something)

do condensates have any energy at all? i mean obviously they do. it would take the lifespan of the universe to eradicate all heat , but i mean is there any other nuclear things going on?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 897 • Replies: 2
No top replies

raprap

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 02:08 pm
In chemistry, using the kinetic theory of matter there are four solids, liquids, gasses and plasmas. The kinetic theory states that above absolute zero all molecules are in motion. With solids motion is limited to within a matrix. Liquids the matrix is broken and molecular are free to flow around each other within constraints, with gasses molecules are free to move, and plasmas are effectively gasses that have lost electrons. In our present universe the most common form of matter is a plasma.

The other strange forms (phases) of matter occur when its in a severe condition--that is extremely cold (e.g. Bose condensations) under extreme pressures, or are unusual combinations of subatomic particles that either aren't stable or are found in rare (if ever) environs.

As for normal forms I'd recommend this site from my old alma mater Purdue Chemistry

Rap
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 04:00 pm
gracias
0 Replies