Potted Daffodils

Green Witch

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 06:27 pm
Chai is correct about bulbs needing a cold period before they can do their thing again. Although, forced* bulbs rarely rebloom the next year, you just get leaves but no flowers. I find it easier to just start new ones or buy a new pot of them all ready started.
(*made to bloom out of season}

If you still want to try again - It's good to cut off the spent flowers, it makes it easier for the bulb to recover. However, wait for the leaves to turn brown before cutting them back. The bulb literally is feeding off the leaves before it goes dormant again.

Alex - I hate poinsettias when I see them outside of Mexico, but I see Dadpad has the matter in hand.

It sounds like your jade plants are infected with white fly (are they white?}. White fly is very difficult to eliminate. Greenhouses use very nasty chemicals to control this pest. I suggest you get rid of the plants, soil and pots. Clean-up the area where they have been with a good cleaning product. If you get more Jades, do not put them back in that spot. White flies have this incredible ability to leave their eggs in smallest specs of dirt and they just stay there until some new yummy plant appears. You also could wait a couple of years and then start again.

Tai's mom must know which plants like acid. Most house plants don't. You can put coffee grounds on rhododendron, azaleas and blueberries with good results. Coffee grounds will kill grass.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 06:35 pm
I know this may sound foolish, Green Witch, but if I plant light bulbs in my garden, will that make the area lighter? I have way too much shade, with my maple trees taking off the way they are.

I await your reply.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 06:37 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I know this may sound foolish, Green Witch, but if I plant light bulbs in my garden, will that make the area lighter? I have way too much shade, with my maple trees taking off the way they are.

I await your reply.

Only if they are connected to The Grid.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 06:39 pm
Thank you. I owe you so much.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 07:13 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

I await your reply.

I recommend hostas.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 01:03 am
Good idea, Gus!

Be sure you plant compact fluorescents, though. Those damn incandescents are like annuals...they'll have to be replanted every year.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 03:18 am
These will do the trick gus

http://www.selections.com/images/products/picture1/GF656.jpg
0 Replies