The care and feeding of dogs in decline.

littlek

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 09:00 pm
Good thinking..
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 09:03 pm
Go well birdie.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 09:08 pm
I have had pets die well in their own beds.

I was hoping that Bird could go in her sunbeam.

I have also had pets that showed me the hard work that death can be and had the vet pre-empt their labor.

Bird doesn't need any hard work.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 09:12 pm
I wish they all could go with their sunbeams....
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 09:15 pm
It never is easy, no matter how many dogs you've had *sigh*

As our dog gets older, I feel anxious just thinking about it. I am waiting
for some miracle drug that would keep him alive another 20 years.

Bird has had a good life with you boomer, she knows that.
Her spirit and essence will always live through you and she will eternally
remain within you and Bird will forever feel your love.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 09:27 pm
Sebastian, my 6 year old nephew, was very upset that he didn't get a chance to say good bye to Krispin. He really wanted to. In our case it was not possible (the decision was rather sudden at a vet's office), but he was crying his little eyes out that he couldn't see his dogfriend off.
I also remember when my parents put a dog to sleep (she had a rapid degenerative disease) while I was in a summer camp (i must have been 9 or 10). The fact that I was not there hurt as much as her death...i felt that it was a great injustice.
....but i have no children and it's a terribly difficult choice on its own. i can imagine that it would be a little easier on you when Mo is away. Sigh. It's a lose-lose situation. so sorry boomer.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 09:45 pm
littlek wrote:
I wish they all could go with their sunbeams....

Yes to that and earscrathess to Birdie.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 12:03 pm
Earscratches for Birdie, dog of sunbeams.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 03:01 pm
I think you've done Bird right by giving her those treats. Your cooking has always seemed to me, well, I picture it as soul food just made with such love.

I'm so sorry, Boom. Letting go is so hard. The love in this thread, though, is making me cry.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 05:39 pm
We just couldn't do it today.

I think Mr. B needed some time to make peace with the idea. He really prefers that pets die at home where things smell like home and feel like home. He has an aversion to all things medical.

And I think the house would have just felt too empty with Bird gone and Mo away.

She's not suffering but she's ready and I think he really got to see that today.

Plus, I remembered when our dog Bakker died while Mo and I were on vacation and how hard it was on Mo. I don't want him to think that he goes off to have fun and his pets die.

Today Bird got up to go out to pee and stopped in the kitchen where I was working. She ate some cornbread. I later cooked her some hamburger and noodles and broth and she ate some of that.

When Mo's grandma dropped him off she told me that Mo had told her that Bird was getting ready to die and that they had talked about it some.

And Mo has talked to me a bit about it today.

It'll be okay.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 07:49 pm
Well then, just thinking of Bird and you guys....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 08:00 pm
I think if you're willing to spend a little extra cash you could find a vet to come to your house. I was investigating that idea myself.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 08:14 pm
littlek wrote:
I think if you're willing to spend a little extra cash you could find a vet to come to your house. I was investigating that idea myself.

A friend of mine did that. They are often a bit reluctant, in case anything goes wrong with the procedure ( I had to be pretty determined even to get my Phoebe done on my lap while I sat in a chair in the surgery, rather than on that horrid steel table), so it really helps if you know the vet really well.

But my friend's Molly died peacefully at home.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 03:03 pm
It's done. She's gone.

Mr B. and I took her in today. I like to think that she is somewhere once again singing two part harmony with Bakker about now.

I still have a couple of hours to prepare myself for telling Mo.

We discussed it a lot yesterday but I couldn't figure out how to say "we made an appointment with a doctor to help her die" so I guess I'll just tell him that she died.

I'm not sure what to say about her body. Mo is horrified by the idea of cremation.

His school day got off to a wacky start so I'm hoping things improved or I could be facing a messy little boy with some messy news.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 03:13 pm
(((((((((((boomer))))))))))))))
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 03:29 pm
boomerang wrote:
It's done. She's gone.

Mr B. and I took her in today. I like to think that she is somewhere once again singing two part harmony with Bakker about now.

I still have a couple of hours to prepare myself for telling Mo.

We discussed it a lot yesterday but I couldn't figure out how to say "we made an appointment with a doctor to help her die" so I guess I'll just tell him that she died.

I'm not sure what to say about her body. Mo is horrified by the idea of cremation.

His school day got off to a wacky start so I'm hoping things improved or I could be facing a messy little boy with some messy news.

Hugs Boomer and fambly.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 03:35 pm
Do you have a safe place to burn votive offerings?

I understand that Oriental mourners burn paper furniture to give the deceased a material leg up in the next world.

Perhaps Mo can create some loving essentials to be transmitted to Bird in the afterlife?

Ceremony is good for grief.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 04:38 pm
I'm sorry, boomer.

I agree about the benefits of ceremony.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 05:08 pm
Be in peace, Bird.

It sounds like you've done well by both Bird and Mo, Boomer.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 05:56 pm
Thanks all. It is suprisingly comforting to talk about it without have to use words. Strange, that.

Mo took it well.

He even asked if she was in a dog graveyard or back to dust and when I said dust he grimaced a bit bug suggested we could make a marker so it would be like she had a grave.

So I guess we'll be making a marker.

And luckily "weirdo" Mo turned into "cool" Mo by mid-day so his mood was not so gloomy to start with.
0 Replies