bloodhound or basset hound?

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 06:56 pm
i want to get either a basset hound or a blood hound. just wondering which one would be the better of the two?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 18,478 • Replies: 10
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 06:57 pm
What are you going to do with the dog? they have different lifestyle requirements.
0 Replies

dixieland10

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 06:59 pm
i have my own land. i could either have it inside or out. i figure if i get a basset hound it will live inside most of the time but i have a big back yard also. so if i get a blood hound it will live outside most of the time.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 07:02 pm
What kind of time commitment to training and daily work do you have to give the dog?
0 Replies

dixieland10

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 07:08 pm
ehBeth wrote:
What kind of time commitment to training and daily work do you have to give the dog?

umm. i will have a regular job. So i will probably be gone all day mostly but my mom stays home all day. She would take care of it some. i will probably be taking it everywhere with me if i can.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 07:30 pm
You're considering two breeds of working dog. It's not really fair to them if you're not going to let them do their 'job'. The bloodhound in particular needs an opportunity to work regularly.

Will you at least have time initially to put in some good daily training time?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basset_Hound

Quote:
since Bassets are "pack" animals, if the Basset must be left alone on a daily basis during the daytime while the family is away, a second pet in the family will keep a Basset out of "trouble". Bassets hate to be alone. Like Beagles, Bassets can be excitable and may be when meeting someone new, especially other dogs.

While Bassets love food and may be less energetic than some breeds, they will exercise regularly if given the chance. Most Bassets enjoy activities that use their natural endurance, like long walks or hikes. They also enjoy tracking games that let them use their powerful nose. Listening is another skill they have due to their large ears increasing their hearing range.

Like other hounds, Basset Hounds are often difficult to train. Many Basset Hounds will obey commands when offered a food reward, but will "forget" the training when a reward is not present. Bassets are notoriously difficult to housebreak. Training and housebreaking are not impossible, however, and can be accomplished with consistency and patience on the part of the owner. Though basset hounds may be rather difficult to train, they are good problem solvers. Some can find ways to get into living room that are not humanly posible, and they are also famous for thinking ahead and stealing food.

The breed has a strong hunting instinct and will give chase or follow a scent if given the opportunity. They should be trained in recall; failing that, they should be kept on a leash when out on walks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodhound

Quote:
This breed is a nice very smart, cheerful, loving dog who is nonetheless tireless in following a scent. Because of its strong tracking instinct, it can be willful and somewhat difficult to obedience train. However, with the proper amount of time, effort, and how well you treat it, this can be achieved easily.

Affectionate, gentle, and even-tempered, they make excellent family pets but, like any large breed, may require supervision when around small children because of the possibility of knocking them over with their bulk.

http://www.dogflu.ca/blood-hounds

Both are great breeds, but you do need to put in the training time - and be able to exercise them/work them regularly. They won't be happy just hanging around.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 07:32 pm
Adopt a greyhound. Very lazy dogs indoors, and they need homes.

And, added bonus, they're quiet...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 07:34 pm
patiodog wrote:

excellent suggestion.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 07:35 pm
patiodog wrote:

And they will keep your property free from mechanical rabbits.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 07:37 pm
Blood Hound...

http://www.agraria.org/cani/bloodhound.JPG

Bassett Hound...

http://www.dogsindepth.com/hound_dog_breeds/images/basset_hound_h05.jpg

BIG difference.

I'd probably go with the Bassett just to have more cuddle time.

(Then again, I'm a Beagle.)
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 12:47 pm
bloodhounds have half the life of regular dogs, due to bloat mainly, or is that mastiffs? im not sure but bloodhounds lifespans is about 8 years average.

i have a german sheperd, basset hound, smartest dog ive ever met in my life, 16 years old and can catch birds, fish, cats, i mean its rather fascinating watch her her catch animals when my pitbull cant catch anything.

but bassets are great dogs, supreme hunters, patient, shy. i like em.

bloodhounds im not so sure of, the half-life of normal dogs is just WHOAH. like 50% less life straight up.
0 Replies