What is Wealthy?

Chai

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 06:25 am
heh, I lived with a guy a couple of years. When we moved in together I put down the first/last security on the apt, and paid for most of the furniture.

The plan was he would pay me back... Rolling Eyes

When we separated, he said "I guess I'll have to find a way to pay you back that money.

I'd be slightly overcharging him on his share of groceries, utilities, etc, so I said "No you don't, you're all paid up, and BTW, here's X amount of dollars I'd continued to put aside after your debt to me was paid off"

True, wealth is a state of mind....he was upset that I had "taken" money from him, although the cash I gave him back made his moving easier. All he saw was he hadn't had money to spend on small items here and there over the last two years.....he got over it and we remained friends.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 07:45 am
Re: What is Wealthy?
littlek wrote:
They earn over 200,000 per year, their house was bought for around 800,000 several years ago. They have massive 401ks and saving for their kids grow a lot every year.

They don't consider themselves as wealthy. They don't even consider themselves as upper class. They often consider themselves cash-poor. Our perceptions are different, to say the least. So, is there a definition for wealthy?

What does wealth look like? A lifestyle or a bank account?

I'm not surprised that they feel cash-poor when they're paying the mortgage for an $800,000 house.

And wealth is definitely a state of mind.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 10:51 am
As of 2004; there were around 200,000 millionaires in the United States. That's less than 1/10th of 1%. If, on average, you are the richest person in a group of 500… I think it's fair to call you wealthy. Of course everything's relative (where you live and who your peers are), but for a national definition I don't see how you could narrow the definition further than that.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 10:58 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
As of 2004; there were around 200,000 millionaires in the United States. That's less than 1/10th of 1%.

According to this 2005 article from MarketWatch, 8.9% of Americans are millionaires. That translates to roughly 2.6 million people.

And according to the same arcticle, in 2004 it was 8.2%.

Roughly 262,800 millionaire households are to be found in Los Angeles County, next is Cook County, Illinois, followed by Orange County, California. (Source)

What's your source, Bill?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 11:35 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
As of 2004; there were around 200,000 millionaires in the United States. That's less than 1/10th of 1%.

According to this 2005 article from MarketWatch, 8.9% of Americans are millionaires. That translates to roughly 2.6 million people.

And according to the same arcticle, in 2004 it was 8.2%.

Roughly 262,800 millionaire households are to be found in Los Angeles County, next is Cook County, Illinois, followed by Orange County, California. (Source)

What's your source, Bill?
I believe I was quoting Bill Clinton from the 2004 DNC. That'll teach me to trust that shyster. Let me check...

Yep>
Quote:
On homeland security -- on homeland security, Democrats tried to double the number of containers at ports and airports checked for weapons of mass destruction. It cost a billion dollars. It would have been paid for under our bill by asking the 200,000 millionaires in America to cut their tax cut by 5000 dollars.

http://americanrhetoric.com/speeches/convention2004/billclinton2004dnc.htm

Richest 9% is certainly far less compelling. I'll have to think on it more. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 12:31 pm
Wow, I think someone dropped a zero.

He probably meant to say 2,000,000 millionaires, not 200,000.

That would make more sense since, in his speech he was saying these millionaires would "only" have to pay $5,000 in extra taxes to come up with the billion dollars needed for extra security.

Millionaire or not $5K, is not chump change.

If the number 2,000,000 millionaires had been used, it only would have been $500 in extra taxes.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 12:54 pm
Chai wrote:
Wow, I think someone dropped a zero.

He probably meant to say 2,000,000 millionaires, not 200,000.

That would make more sense since, in his speech he was saying these millionaires would "only" have to pay $5,000 in extra taxes to come up with the billion dollars needed for extra security.

Millionaire or not $5K, is not chump change.

If the number 2,000,000 millionaires had been used, it only would have been $500 in extra taxes.
Nope. Check the math... 2 million would only have to kick in $500, not $5,000 to accomplish the goal. More likely it was decided it wouldn't be a good idea to point out that there are that many millionaires during a DNC that was trashing Bush for the economy among other things. You wouldn't want them to find the facts Walter provided and learn that the number of millionaires spiked 33% between 2003 and 2004.

So you trot out Bill Clinton because he's so damn good at the mic; he can say anything he wants, regardless of the truth, and it still sounds dynamite.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 01:09 pm
that's what I said....

200,000 millionaires would have to chip in 5K apiece

2,000,000 millionaires would only have to contribute 500

drop a zero from 2,000,000 and you get 200,000
drop a zero from 5000 and you get 500.

Someone may have handed that speach to Clinton and left a few zeros off.

I don't think they were trying to hide the fact there are so many millionaires, you'd have to be not paying attention to the speach to think there are only 200,000 in this country with a million bucks.

That's only 4,000 millionaires a state.

Personally, I think it was a typo that slipped by, which was pretty dumb right there.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 12:50 am
It would take two typos and one hell of a coincidence for the math to still work. I'm not buying that.

Anyway, upon further thought, my point remains unchanged. 2 million out of 100 million + means 1 out of 50. Surely the wealthiest 2% of households should be considered wealthy?

This started while debating the fairness of Estate Taxes. I wonder how many people really know what Bush slid past them here. The $2,000,000 is a deduction.

Example: Man worth $3,000,000 will only pay tax on $1,000,000, at 39%... which equates to paying only 13% on the total (assuming he does nothing towards tax avoidance which is dubious. Before Bush's present to the richest 1%; he would have paid 55%. Which means, this year, millionaires will duck multiple billions in taxes and who do you think is going to make up the difference? If you guessed the poorer 99%, you're close, but not there. The answer is your children. That's right; people with the good fortune to accumulate millions of dollars during the course of their lives are returning the favor by F**king not just the poor and poorer, but their sticking it to the next generation as well. Seems more than a little ungrateful to me.

Next year the deduction will be 3.5 million and obscenely; the year after that it's completely free. All this because they called it the death Tax.

Consider these very rough numbers: Approximately 200 million tax payers hold approximately 50 trillion dollars in wealth. Each year; about 2.5 million of them are going to die (1.25%)... holding estates totaling about 625 Billion Dollars. For easy math let's cut that to $500 Billion, and then cut it in half to reflect the Estate Tax potential of $250 Billion (Roughly triple the amount we'd collect under current law when the deduction resets to 1 million, mostly on account of BS shelters) Anyway, $250 Billion per year would mean an extra $1,250 per year that your average Tax payer wouldn't have to pay some other way.

Would you rather owe $250,000 when you're dead or pay an extra $1,250 in taxes each year between 18 and 65? Seems easy, doesn't it? Simple math tells us that $1,250 times the 47 years is only $58,750... which sounds pretty petty... and it is but it's much too simple.

The wise man throws that $1,250 in an investment and with an annual return of 10% it'll be worth just shy of a million bucks by time you're 65 when you stopped contributing... but if you didn't touch it; it would mature to 4.5 million by the time you croak (80 average used throughout equation). The down side is; you now have to pay an extra couple million in taxes... but your net gift is now 5 times bigger as well. The truth is; it would take slightly more than a 5% R.O.I. over the course of your life to break even. The world's worst investor should manage that. Now here's the really fun part for poorer and the poor: Giant stagnant Estates will have money changing hands each generation which is what these days? 20 to 25 years? That's that much less money that you have to pay. Is this unfair to the holders of stagnant wealth? Not really. A mere 4% R.O.I. over 20 years is all it would take to sustain stagnant wealth perpetually.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 06:42 am
I just woke up Bill, so excuse me if my thoughts are a little fuzzy.

I have a question for you....are you saying that you do NOT agree with having a 2mill deduction off of someones estate?

That is someone with a 3mill estate should pay estate tax on the entire 3mill rather than 1mill?

If so....I don't agree.

I have never understood why people expect someone who has acquired wealth during their lifetime and paid taxes on it at the time they earned it, should be required to have their estate pay again at the time of their death.

Do you have an issue with, for instance, Roth IRA's?
You pay the income tax as you earn the money, but the interest/dividends in the future are tax free.

You earned, you pay once.

You accumulate money and pay tax on your earnings once, why should your estate have to pay again?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 06:52 am
oh....something I haven't run any numbers on, but I feel would much better benefit taxpayers as a whole, and in particular the poor, would be to eliminate the cap on earnings for paying social security taxes.

Rather than addressing estate taxes to the 2% of the population who leave behind large enough estates to be taxed, it seems people would benefit more by (a) having a larger social security benefit being paid out, benefiting the poor and (b) ensuring a way that social security will not go broke.

Without looking, I don't know what the cap is right now, but it's under 100K for I believe.

There are a lot more people that earn over the cap, than die with large estates.

If I earned more than the cap, I'd have no problem with continuing to pay soc sec tax, because if I earn, I pay.

But I already paid for my estate once.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 07:01 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
As of 2004; there were around 200,000 millionaires in the United States.

this may be true if someone was counting only cash dollars that are accessable. Meaning total in bank accounts and what have you.

But I know people who have a million in assets, but not cash. I would count them as millionaires too. So I am willing to bet that number is off..
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 07:17 am
I can see how someone from another country can hear 2 million is needed to be wealthy in this country and think that is impossible and untrue.

In america, one million is not a lot any more.
Yes, you can live on it and do it well but everything is so inflated here it isnt even funny.

You could take my household income >30,000 a year , or around 1,700 a month and plop that on someone else in another country and all of asudden THEY are wealthy.

If I moved with that income to certain parts of Mexico? It would be the equivalent of living on twice that income here in the states.

Take it to parts of south Africa? It could be the equivalent of up to five times that here in the states.

Wealth is a state of mind. Absolutely. But wealth in the financial means is necessary for survival , and sadly in the richest country in the world, large amounts of money does not always equal survival. Laughing

Example-
2000.00 a month house hold income here in the states .

You NEED to pay rent or (mortgage but for the sake of a fast example, I will leave out mortgage) - average(low-ish end ) rent in america is around 900.00
You almost always need a car. Our society has planned our living arrangements to where you live almost 20 miles away from where you work and another 10 from basic needs. You can survive in certain cities with out a car, but not all . So for the sake of argument.. lets figure in a car payment.

A low car payment would be around 250.00 ( yes some get lower but not always, And again.. just a quick average I found using google.)

Gas for that car.
Average gas mileage per american vehicle is 17
( average gas per foreign vehicle 25+ .. hmm. i always wonder why people still buy american.. Laughing )

Average gas price right now 2.90
One take of gas a week is about 25-30.00 xs 4 - 120.00 a month

Utilities. Average electric payment 112.00 ( this average is from Texas only)

Average gas payment 80.00 ( again.. texas only )

Auto insurance - (Ball park average from Geico website for state of texas) 80-98.52 ( for my conclusion below, I deducted 85.00 from the 2000.00)

Grocery bill - this can be all over the scale, but for a single person you would probably spend about 60.00 a week - 120.00 a month

SO far we have left 333 a month.
That does not include basic needs, emergencies, entertainment, health insurance or co-pays, repairs, extra mileage , phone, etc...etc..etc

Just using the very basic payments I could find quickly on the net ( which does not mean they are accurate.. ) You can see how even two thousand a month , which to some sounds like a hell of alot, really does not get you a lot here in this country. It is just enough to survive on.

just because this is a wealthy country doesn't mean everyone here is..
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 07:20 am
Chai- I agree. Seems to me that anyone earning money should be paying into social security, no matter what his income, with no cap. Then again, what the person receives when he does collect social security should be proportional to what he has put into the system. If a person has put more into the system, IMO, he is entitled to receive more when he collects.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 07:28 am
G'morning wolf girl.

That's a good point, the 200,000 with ready cash. Hadn't thought about that.

Post are choppy this am as I'm doing it between morning get ready activites....but I was thinking whilst applying my eyebrows.

Prior to you comment about ready cash, and even now, I'm conflicted about how/why Clinton made such a huge error in numbers.

I mean, even the most casual reader would see that number wasn't right. Walter immediately saw it, as did I, and I was only half paying attention.

If a smart non-American, and a doofus like me both saw it, I don't think Clinton thought he could say such a outlandish thing and be believed. The comment may have been regarding ready cash, or some other thing that was not said in that particular speach...A tie in that we don't see here.

Re value of a million. 3 houses down from me a neighbor is moving because they had a baby and need more space....they are selling a 1,200 sq foot house built in the 50's (albeit he did a lot of renovation, and it's structurally sound) for $350,000.

It doesn't take a much bigger house to be an "almost-aire"
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 07:34 am
Chai wrote:
3 houses down from me a neighbor is moving because they had a baby and need more space....they are selling a 1,200 sq foot house built in the 50's (albeit he did a lot of renovation, and it's structurally sound) for $350,000.

Shocked

No freaking way!

When I moved here that neighborhood was .. ehh.. 190 'ish?

holy crud
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 07:38 am
A friend of mine at work, she works at another location so we communicate off and on, always asks me "How is life is exclusive elusive Area 7?"

I'll say, "Oh fine, Cletus acrost the way yonder bought him a new couch for the porch"
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 07:57 am
Chai wrote:
oh....something I haven't run any numbers on, but I feel would much better benefit taxpayers as a whole, and in particular the poor, would be to eliminate the cap on earnings for paying social security taxes.

Rather than addressing estate taxes to the 2% of the population who leave behind large enough estates to be taxed, it seems people would benefit more by (a) having a larger social security benefit being paid out, benefiting the poor and (b) ensuring a way that social security will not go broke.

Without looking, I don't know what the cap is right now, but it's under 100K for I believe.

There are a lot more people that earn over the cap, than die with large estates.

If I earned more than the cap, I'd have no problem with continuing to pay soc sec tax, because if I earn, I pay.

But I already paid for my estate once.
Chai; please read my last post again. It doesn't sound like you did the first time. You can use an investment calculator to verify my calculations if you like. They clearly demonstrate that future generations would be far better off paying estate taxes than not, whether it be for 1 dollar or 1 billion dollars.

Meanwhile, the new system would be even better with a sales tax so it doesn't feel like double dipping (though in reality, it isn't anyway).

Lastly, none of us have already paid their taxes. Since 1980, our collective debt has grown about $10 trillion. That money is past due with interest. How would you rather pay your share? Or would you rather pass that debt on to the next generation?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 07:59 am
shewolfnm wrote:
I can see how someone from another country can hear 2 million is needed to be wealthy in this country and think that is impossible and untrue.

In america, one million is not a lot any more.
Yes, you can live on it and do it well but everything is so inflated here it isnt even funny.

You could take my household income >30,000 a year , or around 1,700 a month and plop that on someone else in another country and all of asudden THEY are wealthy.

... ... ...

I suppose, inflation (or kind of) is everywhere, prices for energy (especially petrol/gas) are much higher elsehwere than in the US (gas/petrol is the double or even more where nimh and I live) etc etc

My experiences which everyday stuff (only from a handfull states) is that the US is much cheaper than e.g. Europe (and that's not only due to the exchange rate!!!)!

The average disposable incom in Germany in 2005 was 15,617 Euro = $ 22,708.66 per person, btw.

One million is not poor at all, two million is wealthy.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 08:57 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
It would take two typos and one hell of a coincidence for the math to still work. I'm not buying that.

Anyway, upon further thought, my point remains unchanged. 2 million out of 100 million + means 1 out of 50. Surely the wealthiest 2% of households should be considered wealthy?

This started while debating the fairness of Estate Taxes. I wonder how many people really know what Bush slid past them here. The $2,000,000 is a deduction.

Example: Man worth $3,000,000 will only pay tax on $1,000,000, at 39%... which equates to paying only 13% on the total (assuming he does nothing towards tax avoidance which is dubious. Before Bush's present to the richest 1%; he would have paid 55%. Which means, this year, millionaires will duck multiple billions in taxes and who do you think is going to make up the difference? If you guessed the poorer 99%, you're close, but not there. The answer is your children. That's right; people with the good fortune to accumulate millions of dollars during the course of their lives are returning the favor by F**king not just the poor and poorer, but their sticking it to the next generation as well. Seems more than a little ungrateful to me.

Next year the deduction will be 3.5 million and obscenely; the year after that it's completely free. All this because they called it the death Tax.

Consider these very rough numbers: Approximately 200 million tax payers hold approximately 50 trillion dollars in wealth. Each year; about 2.5 million of them are going to die (1.25%)... holding estates totaling about 625 Billion Dollars. For easy math let's cut that to $500 Billion, and then cut it in half to reflect the Estate Tax potential of $250 Billion (Roughly triple the amount we'd collect under current law when the deduction resets to 1 million, mostly on account of BS shelters) Anyway, $250 Billion per year would mean an extra $1,250 per year that your average Tax payer wouldn't have to pay some other way.

Would you rather owe $250,000 when you're dead or pay an extra $1,250 in taxes each year between 18 and 65? Seems easy, doesn't it? Simple math tells us that $1,250 times the 47 years is only $58,750... which sounds pretty petty... and it is but it's much too simple.

The wise man throws that $1,250 in an investment and with an annual return of 10% it'll be worth just shy of a million bucks by time you're 65 when you stopped contributing... but if you didn't touch it; it would mature to 4.5 million by the time you croak (80 average used throughout equation). The down side is; you now have to pay an extra couple million in taxes... but your net gift is now 5 times bigger as well. The truth is; it would take slightly more than a 5% R.O.I. over the course of your life to break even. The world's worst investor should manage that. Now here's the really fun part for poorer and the poor: Giant stagnant Estates will have money changing hands each generation which is what these days? 20 to 25 years? That's that much less money that you have to pay. Is this unfair to the holders of stagnant wealth? Not really. A mere 4% R.O.I. over 20 years is all it would take to sustain stagnant wealth perpetually

I'm having a hard time following you from point A to point Z Bill.

Could you please rephrase this is a more step by step fashion?

It's not the math I'm having a hard time understanding, but how you are making the connection from the 2% that owe estate tax, to the 200 million tax payers and from that point on.

I can't talk about this until I understand your points.

Would you rather owe $250,000 when you're dead or pay an extra $1,250 in taxes each year between 18 and 65? Are you coming up with this $250K figure as the average of what an estate liable for estate tax owes?

I'm confused what you're saying.... Are you saying the choice is paying $1,250 extra each year, and my heirs don't pay any tax on the extate? Doesn't that say there shouldn't be an estate tax?

I guess I'm not seeing the angle you're approaching this from, and the more I look at it, the more confused I get.

Also...my question re Roth IRA's, the best comparison I can make between a large estate being taxed twice, once while it was being earned and once when the heirs go to collect....to me it would be the same principle as taxing roth earnings.

Hypothetical situation...

A person has a 20mil estate and leaves it to his heir, and pays the full estate tax of 45% over the 3mill exemption (for arguments sake) $7,650,000 in taxes.

The heir gets 12,350,000, and never touches it. With the same 3mill exemption and 45% tax rate, that estate pays $4,207,500 in taxes, leaving heir 8,142,500

The wealth has decreased from original person to grandchild by 11,857,500, and that amount has been taxed 3 times, once while the originator earned it, and twice after the earner died.

By the next generation, the estate won't even be worth 6mil, which by that time may only be worth a pittance by todays standards.

I call that screwing my great grandchild.

Of course this is way simplified, asuming no interest, only one heir per generation, etc....but I can't help seeing the same dollar gets taxed multiple times.
0 Replies