Feral Kitten, Litterbox Problem

Roberta

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 08:59 pm
I'm posting this for a friend who is having computer problems. Here's what she has to say:

"My son has taken in a feral kitten...beautiful tricolor tabby. They've had her about four weeks. Took her in at about 8 to 10 weeks old, and they adore her. They can hold her, she gets along with the other two cats, BUT she doesn't always use the litterboxes. If they close her in one room with the litterbox, no problem; however, if she's out and about in the apartment she just goes. Suggestions appreciated."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,480 • Replies: 9
No top replies

msolga

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 05:52 am
Hi Roberta

I guess there's not much choice but to limit the kitten's movements to one (enclosed) area for a while, till she gets used to being domesticated. Maybe the litter box & her food could be in the same room.
Sounds like a delightful little critter! Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 08:50 am
I think MsOlga is spot on with her advice. And they can put all her solid produce into the box when she's missed. There is a product called 'natures miracle' which is good at covering odors. If she can't smell her pee and poop anywhere but the box, well, it's more pleasant for the people and it might help the kitten get adjusted.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 12:17 am
Good luck! In my experience, a feral kitten that old when adopted will never be truly trustworthy. Could she be an indoor-outdoor cat? I know, it's not recommended, but it may be the only solution.

MsOlga and littlek have good suggestions too, and I hope something works for the kittie!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 12:22 am
Can't offer advice. I got Barney at that age (feral) and took him to the vet the same day. When he returned the next day, I had a pan ready and dropped him in it. He scratched around and there was never a problem since.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 02:06 am
Thanks for your comments. I'll pass them along to my friend.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 05:33 pm
Hi Roberta,

Three felines out of seven (my babies) are feral. I began placing kitty pans outdoors, and gradually the cats adjusted. All the cats are indoor/outdoor kitties, brought indoors just before dark. They all use the kitty pans with no problem.
0 Replies

Adele

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 06:06 pm
Our cats come in from outside just to go potty in the litter box. Pay alot of attention to 'em. Ya gotta figure, around 15 min. or so after a big meal they're gonna have to go potty......somewhere. Just keep your eyes open and let 'em know where to go. Then just praise the livin' crap right out of 'em. hahahaha good luck! adele
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 06:48 pm
some great stuff here.....hope it helps.

When I got my second feral she wouldnt go in the box....simplest solution...2nd box. After a while I weened her off of it and now she only does that on ocassion and its right beside the box...

something about sharing I suppose.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 12:24 am
Stradee, Adele, and Quinn, Thanks for the advice. I've passed it along to my friend.
0 Replies