Just a Little Chopped Liver

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 08:07 pm
mmmhhh I love liver with lots and lots of onions on top along with mashed potatoes. I'm getting hungry for it now!!

I think I'm going to buy livers tomorrow (notes: no Perdue container).....

http://www.marions-kochbuch.de/rezept/0189.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 09:07 pm
I didn't like cooked liver as a child as it was always some version of shoeleather.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 11:03 pm
Osso, I'm with you re calves liver. When my mother made it, I thought it was more like shoe leather than food. I learned to love it once I found out that it didn't have to be cooked to death.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 03:04 am
Re: Just a Little Chopped Liver
Roberta wrote:
Anybody want some chopped liver?

Roberta, I've never had the dish you describe (what is the purpose of the bread? Pardon my ignorance ...) but it sounds a little like what we in Oz (& some other places) call "lambs fry" (which usually has bacon added, which I know is a no no for some folk)... which is a (mainly) fried liver & onion dish which I am very partial to, every now & then. (You won't believe the coincidence, but today a friend & I went out for lunch & that's what I had - because this particular place makes it perfectly.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 05:07 am
msolga, The bread absorbs a lot of the liquid and keeps the mixture from getting too watery. I'd be surprised if other recipes for chopped liver included bread, but it's what everyone in my family used.

Chopped liver requires texture and moisture control. You don't want the chopped pieces to be too big and chewy. But too fine is no good either. And you don't want the mixture to be too watery. Dry is usually not a problem. Actually, the final chop should include some bread to dry things out. Trust me, they'll moisten up.

BTW, it's not a good idea to add salt. It tends to separate the liquid from the solids. I add salt when I'm ready to serve.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 04:46 pm
Sounds like one has to know what one is doing, Roberta! I imagine that the necessary skills are picked up via years of watching (as children) the expert/s at work in the kitchen. Always amazes me how much information gets tucked away in the brain for later reference!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 05:16 pm
msolga wrote:
Sounds like one has to know what one is doing, Roberta! I imagine that the necessary skills are picked up via years of watching (as children) the expert/s at work in the kitchen. Always amazes me how much information gets tucked away in the brain for later reference!

So true. I've thought about this over the years. The things I make the best are things I learned not from a recipe but from being with people who were doing it, helping them, and getting a sense of what needs what.

I imagine that good cooks can get a sense of things even if they didn't learn them in childhood. I can't do that. I don't get a sense of what's right and what isn't.

Sometimes I'll try to alter recipes to make them more to my taste. The results are mixed.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 05:44 pm
Roberta wrote:
msolga wrote:

So true. I've thought about this over the years. The things I make the best are things I learned not from a recipe but from being with people who were doing it, helping them, and getting a sense of what needs what.

And an added incentive, Roberta! Food which makes the mouth water, just remembering how fantastic it tasted! We want to have it again!
On the childhood recollection thing: my niece, in a recent phone conversation with me, told me how proud & delighted she was to have produced her own vareniki (sp? ... sort of half moon dumpling-like dish with potato & cottage cheese stuffing, then cooked in boiling water, like stuffed pasta. Many Eastern European/Jewish versions of the same/similar dish exist, but this version calls itself Ukrainian). She remembered how to make them from watching her grandmother (my mother) make them for years & years in her kitchen. After a few goes she finally got it right. Her incentive was that her grandmother can no longer produce her favourite Ukrainian dish & she figured this was the only way she could get a fix!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 07:06 am
Good for your niece, msolga. Hope she enjoyed them.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 07:21 am
Here rabbit have some pate'.

Lambs fry with bacon is my preferred liver dish.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 08:12 am
dadpad wrote:
Here rabbit have some pate'.

Lambs fry with bacon is my preferred liver dish.

Don't get me STARTED on real pate.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 02:58 pm
Gimme the soapbox.

Corned beef isn't what it used to be.

Very little fat. Much less salt.

Healthy and nostalgia don't jibe here.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 05:09 pm
Noddy, Corned beef is definitely on the skids. Without the fat, it's dry and mealy. Without the salt it's kinda tasteless. Otherwise it's fine. (Feh)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 07:16 pm
Roberta--

Sliced thin, thin, thin it flavors potatoes, celery and carrots. Still, it is not what it was when I was a lass.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 07:43 pm
Don't really know how I got to be postin' on a liver thread....(would sooner starve)

Corned beef, however, is a family history kind of thing. Health food be damned. Slow cooked with cabbage, onions, and potatoes.

March 17 is coming soon....

RH
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 07:54 pm
One can presumably corn one's own beef, choosing good fatty beef (it's brisket, isn't it?). I seem to remember it requires some daunting effort, or maybe some time...
Me, I'm resting from my brisket effort earlier this year.
That was the one I bought those chicken livers for....

I'm looking forward to making - osso niftily changes subject slightly - the beef with tomatoes and olives in Feb 2008 House Beautiful (brisket or flank or chuck).
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 03:05 am
Rockhead, The corned beef you're referring to is clearly the Irish variety. (Not gonna discuss my opinion of the St. Patrick's Day parade.) I, on the other hand, was referring to the kosher deli variety of corned beef--a whole other thing (I think). It's sandwich meat simiar to pastrami but less spicy.

I have to stay out of the food forum. My mouth starts to water, and the keyboard gets all wet.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 08:08 am
My family tradition was a kosher corned beef on St. Patrick's Day--and my mother wore orange.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 11:50 am
I foresee a buffet table with various kinds of corned beef and all the trimmings...

I'm irish, both sides of family from county Mayo; we didn't buy the corned beef from a kosher deli, don't remember what company packaged it, if one did. My favorite thing to do with it was sandwiches. I can't honestly remember if my mother made her own adding the spices herself or all from a package. The few times I cooked corned beef myself, it was a packaged affair.

I have much to learn.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 12:07 pm
Never had chopped liver. Doesn't sound very nice but that's probably because the only liver I've ever tried was school dinners liver with nasty onion gravy and I feel sick just thingking about it.

However, if this chopped liver tastes like pate (?) which I like, then I would like to try it.

What do you eat it with? Just on toast or something?
0 Replies