Rockhead's Music Thread

mismi

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 02:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
It's raining like dooty hitting a flat rock in my neighborhood.

I laughed and laughed. Totally cracked me up. I have potty humor issues.

0 Replies

vonny

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 02:22 pm
bump
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 02:23 pm
bumps
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 02:25 pm
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 05:32 pm
I weeded my front flower bed today.

that sounds easy enough, but it was overgrown with sandburrs.

I didn't realize that the grass I let grow so it would be easier to pull was going to pop out little pain balls...

I'm almost done. waiting on it to cool down now that the shade has passed me by...

gonna need to go by and get me some free mulch from the camp.

mine has disappeared into the ether. damn moles...

and I have a new rule.

all shoes off at the front door. or certified sticker free.

they hurt like hell at night when I am walking barefooted and the carpet bites me...
Rockhead

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 08:50 pm
life is better in the AC after a hot shower...

got my project all done. hadda develop a technique, I was sans gloves. (I do have leatherfingers)

and I cut the landscape timbers like I shoulda 2 months ago when I put them in. and mowed the corner down.

it looks fabulous...

now I gotta do something meaningful for dinner.

I needa be good tomorrow.

gonna go work up the resta my sprouts for starters...

0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 11:18 am
woke up this morning to no internet.

and no clear cut reason why...

over to mr vw's for the day to keep an eye out for a response from Kentucky.

my mobile IT guy is due to visit Wednesday anywho to wire the shop for web use and clean up the rest of my system...
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 01:28 pm
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 01:30 pm
Rockhead

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 08:45 pm
@vonny,
got my internet working again.

power deficiency in the old trailer. (the router still lives there)

making some dinner and getting ready to go load some more scrap. we need food...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 12:23 pm
finally have a load of scrap worth hauling.

unfortunately it took me until the heat set in.

gonna be a miserable afternoon...

but I discovered areas of the shop floor I've not seen before.

the canoe leaves tonight after it cools off enough to play in the shop again...
vonny

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 12:43 pm
@Rockhead,
My laptop has decided to stop working. Been a rotten couple of days - temperatures up in the 90's, then a horrendous thunderstorm which lasted for most of the night - and on into today. Need some sleep - badly! Using my husband's desktop computer for a little while - doing my best, but the flipping thing is soooooooo weird as compared to my simple little laptop. No idea how to post music on this one - my usual format simply isn't working!
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 12:46 pm
Hurrah - found a way - still not very satisfactory - takes ages - but I think I've cracked it.

0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 02:00 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
they hurt like hell at night when I am walking barefooted and the carpet bites me...

You should try walking barefoot on my driveway. (Not when it's 110 out.) All sorts of sticky, prickly things lie in wait.

Yes, I know ... that's what happens when you move to the desert.

My favorite is the Cholla cactus plant in my front yard ... aka "Jumping Cholla", aka "Teddy Bear Cactus."

Side story: My first experience with these was when I was hiking "off trail." I was trying hard to avoid these Cholla plants. But, the next thing I knew, one of the Cholla "balls" had "jumped" onto my calf and was stuck there. Not knowing any better, I thought a clever way to get rid of it would be to just hit it hard like a baseball, using a stick. Bad idea! All that did was spin it and drive even more barbed thorns into my flesh. I basically just had to rip it out, causing much bleeding. The lesson: carry a comb or pliers when hiking in Arizona. And stay the hell away from these nasty buggers.

This is not me, but the guy in this video suffered the same fate. At least he had the sense to not try my baseball method. (No, napkins would not work.):

http://imageshack.us/a/img855/5822/vt9w.jpg
vonny

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 02:14 pm
@Ticomaya,
Strewth - those things are nightmarish! I'd never even heard of them before - watched the video you posted, and another couple - do you have to brush against them hard for them to get so embedded? Terrifying! And your temperatures - here in the South-East of England we've found it pretty unbearable when our temperatures climbed to an almost unheard of 92 degrees - any hotter and I think we'd have melted!
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 03:00 pm
@vonny,
The reason they are often referred to as "Jumping" Cholla, is because they seem to just "jump" onto you. In reality, you just barely brush against them, and the tiny barbs on the ends of the thorns pierce into your dermis, requiring you to literally rip your skin in order to remove the thorns. So, no, you don't have to brush hard whatsoever to have them become embedded. And they really don't hurt when they are stuck onto you. I had this Cholla ball stuck in my calf for some minutes before I realized it was even there.

92 degrees would be heaven around here in the summer. My first summer here (2007), we set a record in Phoenix when the high temperature every day was 110 or higher. ("But it's a dry heat.")

The temps are only a bother here in July and August. In those months we limit our time outside during the daytime, and crank up the air conditioning. (Or an hour away in the mountains the temps are 20 degrees cooler!) The rest of the year it's wonderful weather. Winters are amazing here.

And no nasty tornadoes ... or snow ... or freezing rain.
vonny

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 03:05 pm
@Ticomaya,
It sounds like paradise! No snow - no ice - no freezing rain - bliss! But I still don't fancy those Cholla balls - they remind me of the film 'Gremlins' - when they got wet - take cover! Laughing
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 06:48 pm
that's kinda funny.

not a fan of the desert, but I do have a cactus garden...

nasty little storm about to blow through, all hatches are battened, and the eggs are all collected for the night.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 08:46 am
hurt my back loading heavy scrap. (cast iron pieces)

and after finally getting outta bed (owwwww) and through my morning issues I settled into my office chair.

and got the shivers...

it's firkin cold here.

71 with a light north breeze.

I hadda get back up and find some sweats...

(and a heat wrap for my back)
vonny

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 02:42 pm
@Rockhead,
Feeling cold - in 71 degrees? That was a joke - right? 71 degrees is what we get on a (normal) hot summer's day. Recent temperatures, climbing to the upper 80's, are exceptional - seven years since we last had a heatwave like this.

Hope your back's feeling better now - those heat wraps are good!

Been to a garden centre today, buying a lump of stone for the garden - quite large, and very heavy - with a cute frog on top - wait, I'll see if I can post a picture via photobucket .............

http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w588/vonny8/P1030258_zpsd2e409d0.jpg
0 Replies