OUTRAGE OVER WHALING ... #2 <cont>

JTT

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 01:58 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
What's with Japan - it's not just the whales, now they've sided with Libya (of all countries, presumably for their oil and gas)

The USA would never side with brutal dictators, let alone install brutal dictators so they could then side with them, would they, High Seas? Especially over such a thing as oil and gas! Perish the thought!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 03:33 pm
@dadpad,
I nterestin g, because IWC has only defined a precious few species to hunt and the numbers reccomended. (like 140 finbacks per year for a max of 1200 in ten years). NONE of the agenda is agreed to and there are several interesting things therein

1Scientific whaling WILL provide a Dna (mDNA and DNA base)
2A South ATlantic Sanctuary to be established

3 Gradual Phasing out of whaling to be reviewed in 10 years.

4 The "take" for minkes is TBD . Only the North Greem'nland minke take is defined and its very low due to the failure of this population to rebound.

5 Rules for "Scientific Whaling proedures"
High Seas

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 07:12 pm
@farmerman,
Since we're on an Australian thread here we might usefully follow the US ambassador's example there in apologizing for the second postponement - to June! - of Obama's first ever trip to meet with their PM. So much for the sea lanes, not to mention the whales. We are sorry, OK?!
Quote:
[from press reports from 2 days ago].... US Ambassador to Australia Jeff Bleich today said the President wants to go ahead with the visit... "The President is fully committed to coming out to Indonesia and Australia," Mr Bleich [said]."He's consulted with the head of the Senate, the head of our House of Representatives and the timing, the location, those sorts of things are in flux, but the President wants to come out very badly. In the absence of something unforeseen, he's coming."
msolga

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 02:42 am
@High Seas,
Quote:
We are sorry, OK?!

It's OK, High Seas. Apology accepted. Wink

We understand that there is some super-duper important business going on in Washington right now. Of course he has to be there!

Apart from that, the visit to Indonesia actually sounded like a more important priority than the very rushed, planned visit to Oz.

Generally speaking, visits of US presidents to Oz are of more important to the Oz government of the day (particularly in an election year!) than to the US president.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 04:59 pm
Anti-whaling protest in Korea. Video news item from my local paper this morning.:

The director of Oscar-winning film 'The Cove' protests against whaling outside the Japanese embassy in South Korea.:
http://media.theage.com.au/whaling-protest-in-korea-1242200.html?from=newsbox
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 07:02 pm
Whale sushi restaurant closes for good

Posted 1 hour 1 minute ago

A California restaurant facing criminal charges for serving endangered whale meat as sushi has announced it will close permanently as a "self-imposed punishment".

The Hump restaurant in Santa Monica and chef Kiyoshiro Yamamoto face charges over "the illegal sale of a marine mammal product" after the Oscar-winning documentary makers of The Cove filmed them serving sei whale sushi.

"The Hump hopes that by closing its doors, it will help bring awareness to the detrimental effect that illegal whaling has on the preservation of our ocean ecosystems and species," a statement on the restaurant's website said.

"Closing the restaurant is a self-imposed punishment on top of the fine that will be meted out by the court. The owner of The Hump also will be taking additional action to save endangered species.

"One such action will be to make a substantial contribution to one or more responsible organisations dedicated to the preservation of whales and other endangered species.

"The Hump apologises to our loyal customers, the community of Santa Monica, and the public at large for our illegal actions."

The restaurant owners face up to a year in prison and a $US200,000 ($218,000) fine, while Yamamoto faces a maximum fine of $US100,000.

More
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/03/21/2851748.htm?section=justin
msolga

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 09:25 pm
@dadpad,
Quote:
"The Hump hopes that by closing its doors, it will help bring awareness to the detrimental effect that illegal whaling has on the preservation of our ocean ecosystems and species," a statement on the restaurant's website said.

"Closing the restaurant is a self-imposed punishment on top of the fine that will be meted out by the court. The owner of The Hump also will be taking additional action to save endangered species.

"One such action will be to make a substantial contribution to one or more responsible organisations dedicated to the preservation of whales and other endangered species.

"The Hump apologises to our loyal customers, the community of Santa Monica, and the public at large for our illegal actions."

Wow. Lost reputation, a hefty fine for illegal activities, closure of the restaurant & promises of self-imposed acts of contrition ...

Just like that!

Amazing.

I wonder what the customers of the restaurant make of the situation? Not exactly too impressed with the proprietors at this point in time, I'd guess.

I'm guessing that The Hump had no choice but to close down. Probably lost all it's customers along with its reputation.

JTT

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 10:21 pm
Now where am I supposed to get my whale meat fix?
msolga

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 10:22 pm
@JTT,
Same place as usual, I guess.

<shrugs>
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 05:55 am
Nice to see a debate about international whaling revolving around a single restaurant owner in some two-bit backwater of de woild.

Now I know how serious it is.
JTT

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 01:06 pm
@spendius,
As it ever was and is, Spendi.

MsO will be along shortly to get it back on track and lay the blame squarely upon the party or parties who defiled the thread.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 01:09 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Nice to see a debate about international whaling revolving around a single restaurant owner in some two-bit backwater of de woild.

Now I know how serious it is.

better than listening to the ramblings of some two bit wanker in the bog of a pub
Setanta

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 01:13 pm
Hehehehehehehehehe . . .
spendius

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 01:16 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
better than listening to the ramblings of some two bit wanker in the bog of a pub

Not another reformed boozer surely?
djjd62

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 01:24 pm
@spendius,
i'm as deformed a boozer as i ever was
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 01:30 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:

That doesn't even make any sense, djjd. I think you were trying to get too many British words in there.
djjd62

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 01:33 pm
@JTT,
oh my, multi lingual grammar nazi

JTT

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 01:38 pm
@djjd62,
My reply had nothing to do with grammar, but you knew that, didn't you, djjd?
djjd62

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 01:44 pm
@JTT,
i'm sure the things i don't know could fill a book
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 02:15 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Hehehehehehehehehe . . .

Poor old Setanta. Born nearly 200 years too late and in the wrong city. He would have loved the front row watching the guillotine show.

Uncaring of the justice he could have Hehehehehehehehehe . . .d away as he knit himself a willy warmer from a half gramme of wool he had cut off his 'ravelled sleeve.

What a shame that it's only little old me he has to cackle over. It must be very frustrating. I'll ask the priest how much a Mass for him would cost.
0 Replies