OUTRAGE OVER WHALING ... #2 <cont>

JTT

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 09:45 pm
There is no sensible reason to stop any nation that wants to use the resources found in the oceans of the world. The only concern, and one that covers far more than just whaling is controlling the kill.
georgeob1

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 10:06 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

I'd argue that there hasn't actually been an increase in aggression. The "whale wars" have been going on in the Southern Ocean every summer for quite a few years now. What would be motivating Kevin Rudd more, I think, is that this a a pretty important issue to quite a number of Australians, who expected a lot more from our government when they voted for them in 2007. (Polls would have told them this.) And now, with another election looming toward the end of this year, the Labor government has appeared to have done even less than the previous (conservative) government in resolving the ongoing "whaling issue". There appear to be a lot of very disenchanted young people (especially) with this government which promised so much (on this issue, climate change & other environmental concerns) but appears to have achieved very little progress.

I think the recent colllision and the reported illicit boarding of a Japanese vessel by the former skipper of the now damaged high speed boat, would suggest that the Japanese might see this as an increase in aggression.

I'm sure there are many like minded greens and others who may be dissatisfied with the current Australian government (as they were also with the last). However these folks are usually dissatisfied and are very unlikely ever to be pleased. Rudd's efforts may be futile (or more likely an empty gesture, intended to placate the merely excitable). A gread deal of the "wind" has gone out of the sails of the global warming cult in the last few months. I'm surprised it is still a big issue in Australia. Even Canadians (who have the world's highest per capita GHG emissions) don't seem to care much anymore.
msolga

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 10:16 pm
@JTT,
Welcome, JTT.

Thanks for your post.

If he doesn't mind me suggesting it, I'm hoping farmer will respond to what you've had to say.

(Me, I'm the wrong person, totally.)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 10:41 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
I'm sure there are many like minded greens and others who may be dissatisfied with the current Australian government (as they were also with the last). However these folks are usually dissatisfied and are very unlikely ever to be pleased. Rudd's efforts may be futile (or more likely an empty gesture, intended to placate the merely excitable). A gread deal of the "wind" has gone out of the sails of the global warming cult in the last few months. I'm surprised it is still a big issue in Australia. Even Canadians (who have the world's highest per capita GHG emissions) don't seem to care much anymore.

But you see, George, it is not just "greens" who feel this way. Obviously I can't speak for the entire population of the country, but (you'll have to take me at my word on this) there is huge anti-whaling sentiment out there in the general Oz community. Personally, I don't know of a single person who actually supports whaling, and not all the people I speak to about whaling & whale conservation are "greenies" or "radicals", by a long shot.

The "whale wars" receive extensive coverage in our media in Australia. And I mean the mainstream media. As do IWC meetings, when policy changes are on the table to be debated & voted on. There is a lot of interest out there in the community.

As for these disenchanted young voters. They are very important to both the main political parties, not just to Kevin Rudd. In the 2007 campaign there was huge support for Kevin Rudd, young people wearing "Kevin 007" T shirts, many first time voters. To them he signified real change from the conservative politics of the Howard years. They were inspired, hopeful, I believe. He would be flocked when he visited school sites, a bit like a pop star would be. Smile He had quite a following, I can tell you. To lose those young voters would be a very serious thing for the Labor Party, as you might appreciate.
But, in case you think it's just the very young & idealistic, or simply the "greenies" who support the cessation of whaling, I'd have to tell you that this perception is quite wrong. Many people simply see it as a barbaric, antiquated & totally unnecessary slaughter & are offended by it, as much as anything else.
georgeob1

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 10:54 pm
@msolga,
Frankly I am far more sympathetic to your concerns about whaling (which isn't really necessary for anyone) than I am about the absurdities over "global warming" (or "climate change" as they have started calling it now that the realization that there has been no real warming for the past four decades, and possibly more, has hit the AGW cultists.

We need energy to survive and sustain our lives. Greenies I think see the earth as a benign garden infected by a vile parasite called humanity. What most of them appear to really want is an imagined bucolic world (that never really existed) of (say) preindustrial 1830. The problem is that the earth had only about a billion people than and we're not likely to persuade five billion to die. Besides things then weren't so good as they imagine - most folks died of infectious disease at a fairly early age. I am on the side of humanity.
Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 10:56 pm
Canadians still care--but the jackass Tory who clutches his minority government tightly to his breast, and runs off to get the Governor General to prorogue Parliament when the opposition has embarrassing questions to ask has any number of other things he would like to think about than climate change.
msolga

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 11:02 pm
@georgeob1,
Ah, but we are getting into different, though kinda related, areas here, George.

You know, we might have some some significant disagreements in those areas, too. Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 11:07 pm
@Setanta,
Thanks, Setanta. I'm glad & not remotely surprised that Canadians still care.

But please, could we not digress into discussing the pros & cons of climate change policies here, on this thread?

I know it's a very important issue, but it's not one that's the prime concern of this thread.

Sorry, I honestly don't mean to offend, or anything, but there are other places to discuss climate change here on A2K. There aren't too many where we talk specifically about the issues of whaling & whale conservation. I really want to maintain the integrity of this thread.
Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 11:09 pm
@msolga,
That's fine, Boss, i've got no problem with respecting your wishes. I just thought it worth while pointing out that O'George is ascribing the views of a Tory minority to the entire nation.
msolga

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 11:14 pm
@Setanta,
Thank you for your understanding, Setanta.

I really do appreciate that.

This is an issue that's very close to my heart.

msolga

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 11:26 pm
@msolga,
... which is not meant at all to stop you from talking about whales, you understand, Setanta? Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 11:28 pm
Capiche . . .
msolga

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 11:33 pm
@Setanta,
Excellent! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 04:53 am
So what does this actually mean?
I don't know.
We'll all have to keep a close watch, won't we?
"Diplomacy" in regard to the whaling issue has not exactly been a huge success to date. Neutral
But then, there's the electorate to answer to, in an election year. So who knows?

Quote:
Diplomatic resolution sought over whaling threat
Updated 59 minutes ago
Prime Minister Kevin Rudd shakes hands with Japan's foreign minister Katsuya Okada
http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/201002/r518067_2850470.jpg
During the talks, Mr Rudd repeated his threat to take legal action against Japan over whaling. (AAP: Greg Wood)

The Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has had a frank discussion about whaling with the Japanese foreign minister Katsuya Okada.

The pair met in Sydney this afternoon, where Mr Rudd repeated his threat to take legal action against Japan if it failed to cease whaling by November.

Prior to the meeting, a spokesman for Mr Okada said it was crucial to reach a diplomatic resolution on whaling in light of the "importance of Australia-Japan relations".

The spokesman also said Japan would seek Australia's "cooperation" over the anti-whaling group Sea Shepherd.

Defence relationship

But whaling was not the only issue on Mr Okada's agenda during the first day of a two-day visit to Australia. .... <cont>.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/02/20/2825606.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 06:00 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
There is no sensible reason to stop any nation that wants to use the resources found in the oceans of the world. The only concern, and one that covers far more than just whaling is controlling the kill.

OK, that's your view, JTT & I'd imagine there are many people who share it with you. However there is plenty of evidence available to support the view that the oceans of the world have been severely over-fished. Here's the GreenPeace view after a quick search:

Quote:
Many marine ecologists think that the biggest single threat to marine ecosystems today is overfishing. Our appetite for fish is exceeding the oceans' ecological limits with devastating impacts on marine ecosystems. Scientists are warning that overfishing results in profound changes in our oceans, perhaps changing them forever. Not to mention our dinner plates, which in future may only feature fish and chips as a rare and expensive delicacy.

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/campaigns/oceans/overfishing

However, the primary focus of his thread (& also the one preceding it) has been about Japanese commercial whaling in the Southern Ocean. (Though, of course, there has been considerable discussion on the issue of whale conservation in general.) So, if it's OK, I'm stick to whales in my response to you. Yes, there are some conservationists who support a position of regulated whaling, based on species numbers & excluding the endangered species. I know that. However this is not a position personally I hold. Certainly not at this point in time. I am completely opposed to the practice of commercial whaling, full stop. Particularly in a designated whale sanctuary in the Southern Ocean, which is what much of this thread has been about. I believe commercial whaling is an unnecessary, extremely cruel & an antiquated practice. So sorry, I probably not the right person to be arguing the pros & cons of "sustainable whaling" with you.
JTT

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 06:12 pm
@msolga,
Good day to you, MsOlga. How's the surf?

Overfishing - bad bad bad, and bad. [and not the focus here, or so I'm told.

Trying to tell and force other nations to stop harvesting certain species based on personal feelings as to the worth of any given species is absolutely bizarre. I too love whales and dogs and horses and ... but I'm not about to suggest that others can't and shouldn't eat them.

No fingers extended, but the nations that do the most preaching are some of the biggest hypocrites going.
msolga

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 06:37 pm
@JTT,
No surf here, JTT, I'm sitting smack in the middle of a big city.

Well, you're assuming that my position is based entirely on "personal feelings". And that isn't so. Even if it was, there are many other aspects to this debate, such as the IWC ban on commercial whaling. (There are those who'll argue about the legitimacy of that ban, too, if you've managed to read the back pages of the thread.)

Quote:
I too love whales and dogs and horses and ... but I'm not about to suggest that others can't and shouldn't eat them.

I'm fond of domestic animals myself. I also have strong objections to how many of the animals who end up as meat on our dinner plates are treated during their short lives. But I consider commercial "harvesting" of creatures in the wild a different matter altogether.

Quote:
No fingers extended, but the nations that do the most preaching are some of the biggest hypocrites going.

Well, you know, some of the so-called "finger pointers" (which ones are you specifically referring to?) might believe they have valid positions for their support of whale conservation, apart from wanting to be morally superior, or something. Like, for example, protecting a designated whale sanctuary.

Quote:
Overfishing - bad bad bad, and bad. [and not the focus here, or so I'm told.

Seriously, you believe over-fishing the oceans is OK?
No, it's not the main focus of this thread as you would probably have noticed, but that doesn't mean it's not a subject of serious concern that shouldn't be discussed at all.

JTT

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 08:26 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
JTT: Overfishing - bad bad bad, and bad.

Quote:
MsOlga: Seriously, you believe over-fishing the oceans is OK?

When I do sarcasm, it's missed, when I don't intend it at all, that's what it's taken as? Confused Did you figure that was sarcasm, MsOlga?

Quote:
Even if it was, there are many other aspects to this debate, such as the IWC ban on commercial whaling. (There are those who'll argue about the legitimacy of that ban, too, if you've managed to read the back pages of the thread.)

Duplicity stacked upon duplicity frosted with a thick coating of duplicity, by the IWC, of course, not by you.

Quote:
Like, for example, protecting a designated whale sanctuary.

Quote:
The pro-whaling nations accuse the IWC of basing these decisions upon "political and emotional" factors rather than upon scientific knowledge given that the IWC prohibits all whaling, even though its own Scientific Committee has concluded since 1991 that quotas on some species of whale would be sustainable. They argue the IWC has swayed from its original purpose and is attempting, under the guise of conservation, to essentially grant whales an entitlement to life via an absolute protection from being killed by humans for commercial purposes.[22]

Non-IWC whaling nations have expressed similar sentiments. Canada withdrew from the IWC after the vote to impose the moratorium, claiming that "[t]he ban was inconsistent with measures that had just been adopted by the IWC that were designed to allow harvests of stocks at safe levels."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Whaling_Commission

The IWC is a sham. Science doesn't drive it, 'cuddly' does. Every other creature that inhabits the oceans is done commercially, there's no reason that whales shouldn't be, again, as with any venture, sustainably.

Japan makes more use of more things from the oceans than probably any other nation on Earth. While all these "righteous" nations were using fish stocks for fertilizer or just dumping them back overboard as waste, Japan was using them for food.

Quote:
such as the IWC ban on commercial whaling.

Quote:
IWC is a voluntary international organisation and is not backed up by treaty. Therefore, the IWC, in essence, is a voluntary organisation which has substantial practical limitations on its authority. First, any member countries are free to simply leave the organisation and declare themselves not bound by it if they so wish. Second, any member state may opt out of any specific IWC regulation by lodging a formal objection to it within 90 days of the regulation coming into force[19] (such provisions are common in international agreements, on the logic that it is preferable to have parties remain within the agreements than opt out altogether). Third, the IWC has no ability to enforce any of its decisions through penalty imposition.

ibid

msolga

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 08:29 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Did you figure that was sarcasm, MsOlga?

Nope.

I couldn't figure out why you said it at all.

Sorry.

So why were you being sarcastic then? Confused
JTT

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 08:44 pm
@msolga,
I wasn't being sarcastic, MsOlga. I said; "when I don't intend it at all, that's what it's taken as?"

I replied to you. If I recall that was one of the issues you raised.