Do you hold rap responsible?

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 11:24 am
I can remember as a young man anticipating the next Jay-Z(not picking on Jay-Z) album, relishing the lyrics but not knowing exactly what they meant. Subjects that ranged from durg trafficking to sexual situations. I had never owned a gun but as I sang the lyrics I would hold the imaginary one and pull my pointer finger back with an expression of anger on my face.
Later on, when I "matured", I despised rap music, blaming it for the materialistic nature of a mostly impoverished people....the proneness to drugs....sexual irresponsibleness....yadadadadada.

Truth is in my opinion; if you're an adult then to each his own.
However, when a child is involved, the responsibility lies with the parents...point blank.

Do not mistake this to be support for rap music. I still dislike the message that it propagates and believe it to have a profoundly negative effect on children however can you blame someone for exercising their right to freely speak?

btw.....I had to sneak to listen to that album. My mother would have killed me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,075 • Replies: 76
No top replies

eoe

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 11:32 am
Not totally. I also hold the record company, the movie industry, the entertainment industry as a whole responsible for many if not most if the ills of our species. From drug and thug-life glorification to anorexia to glamorizing single parent pregnancies. The list is long.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 11:33 am
Could you equate this stuff to advertising? Deliver the message, make it sound positive, and repeat that message as often as possible. Proctor & Gamble does it, and they sure sell a lot of soap. So, I think rap is advertising, but what are they selling?
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 11:42 am
eoe wrote:
Not totally. I also hold the record company, the movie industry, the entertainment industry as a whole responsible for many if not most if the ills of our species. From drug and thug-life glorification to anorexia to glamorizing single parent pregnancies. The list is long.

These industries only supply what the masses demand and to hold these related industries responsible for the "ills of our species" is a bit much, no?
Man is inherently evil and they will remain as much as long as they exist, just seems these are the main channels of this day.
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 11:46 am
roger wrote:
Could you equate this stuff to advertising? Deliver the message, make it sound positive, and repeat that message as often as possible. Proctor & Gamble does it, and they sure sell a lot of soap. So, I think rap is advertising, but what are they selling?

Not sure.
Self destruction, violence, Materialism etc.
Whatever it is, it's not positive.

so............."Why" is it selling???
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 11:52 am
It sounds more like pointing the finger at tv, the radio, the news and blaming others for what someone did themself. Like saying those are avenues for brain washing people. What ever happened to taking personal responsibility for ones own thoughts and actions?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 11:53 am
Did not say it was positive. I said ". . . make it sound positive. . . .", and they do, at least to a significant portion of their audiance.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 11:57 am
jasonrest wrote:

Gives urban white kids a fantasy to hold onto, as they buy G-Unit clothes, wear their hats crooked and talk like douchebags. They think they're "hard," when in reality they're mostly a bunch of pu$$ies.

Gives inner-city kids "hope" that someone will think their fake diamonds are real, and they're blingin'. Also gives a great impression that the car you drive defines you. Some of the music they can relate too, if the artist came from their background.

Also sells because some of it is pretty catchy music. I'm a fan of Jay-Z. Got his albums, and you have to respect him as a businessman, whether or not you agree with the lyrics. And he's going to keep pumping out music that glorifies the lifestyle, because it sells...it's a cycle.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 11:59 am
Peter Frampton made me lip-lock all night at the 4-H Christmas party with Todd.

The Eagles made me give up my virginity.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 12:03 pm
S'cuse me, but why is making money automatically respectable? There are a lot of ways to make money.
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 12:19 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
jasonrest wrote:

Gives urban white kids a fantasy to hold onto, as they buy G-Unit clothes, wear their hats crooked and talk like douchebags. They think they're "hard," when in reality they're mostly a bunch of pu$$ies.

Gives inner-city kids "hope" that someone will think their fake diamonds are real, and they're blingin'. Also gives a great impression that the car you drive defines you. Some of the music they can relate too, if the artist came from their background.

Also sells because some of it is pretty catchy music. I'm a fan of Jay-Z. Got his albums, and you have to respect him as a businessman, whether or not you agree with the lyrics. And he's going to keep pumping out music that glorifies the lifestyle, because it sells...it's a cycle.

I agree with most of your post but I am assuming that by "inner city kids", you are referring to the black youth.....I think the hope that you speak of was geared more to perhaps being in their idol's shoes with those real diamonds and blah blah blah.

I think at some point long ago in a land far away, this current phenomenon was something to be proud of. It was relevant, there were some that could truly say the hard life was the only option.
However, "the hard life" has become a distant idea.
While poverty is still alive and well, there are so many options available, that there is absolutely no excuse.....
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 12:27 pm
squinney wrote:
Peter Frampton made me lip-lock all night at the 4-H Christmas party with Todd.

The Eagles made me give up my virginity.

actually, I think you made that decision on your own or do you hold them responsible?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 12:56 pm
squinney, what's that they say about "...if they can't take a joke?"
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 01:19 pm
snood wrote:

Hey friend, always good to see ya!
The post was short and vague, not sure if she was trying to prove a point or just joking as you have pointed out.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 01:22 pm
jasonrest wrote:
snood wrote:

Hey friend, always good to see ya!
The post was short and vague, not sure if she was trying to prove a point or just joking as you have pointed out.

Sorry, jason - I can see it is an honest miscommunication. I think I may have seen the joke because I've read squinney's posts for awhile.
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 01:25 pm
most likely the case.
You both are "veterans" and both quite active.
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 01:28 pm
So who do I have to sleep with to send PM's???
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 01:30 pm
no one, dude. Ya just hang around 'till you've made a certain number of posts, is all...
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 01:39 pm
I figured as much.
So.... Snood.

With whom do you place blame if you place it at all?

Note: I should have emphasized that I ask in reference to the music's popularity among children and teens and how it affects them.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 03:18 pm
Jay Z is **** anyway.
0 Replies