Would you eat your pets?

Chumly

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 07:42 am
First the goldfish, then the cat, then the dog.

If you got hungry enough.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,094 • Replies: 84
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 07:48 am
Yep.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 07:54 am
In 2003 , health inspectors discovered four frozen canine carcasses in the freezer of a Chinese restaurant in Edmonton.[12] Subsequently, the Edmonton health inspector said that it is not illegal to sell and eat the meat of dogs and other canines, as long as the meat has been inspected.[13] In the end, these four particular canine carcasses were found to be coyotes. Ed Greenburg, an official with Edmonton's Capital Health Region, said the fact that the animals were coyotes doesn't change anything and inspectors are still looking into the possibility that uninspected meat was served at the restaurant. Under Canada's Wildlife Act, it is illegal to sell meat from any wild species. There is no law against selling and serving canine meat, including dogs, but it must be killed and gutted in front of federal inspectors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_meat
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 07:57 am
In California, since there are many Chinese Americans, they had to make it illegal to eat dog meat:

California PENAL CODE Section 598b.

(a) Every person is guilty of a misdemeanor who possesses, imports into, or exports from, this state, sells, buys, gives away, or accepts any carcass or part of any carcass of any animal traditionally or commonly kept as a pet or companion with the intent of using or having another person use any part of that carcass for food.

(b) Every person is guilty of a misdemeanor who possesses, imports into, or exports from, this state, sells, buys, gives away, or accepts any animal traditionally or commonly kept as a pet or companion with the intent of killing or having another person kill that animal for the purpose of using or having another person use any
part of the animal for food.

(c) This section shall not be construed to interfere with the production, marketing, or disposal of any livestock, poultry, fish, shellfish, or any other agricultural commodity produced in this state. Nor shall this section be construed to interfere with the lawful killing of wildlife, or the lawful killing of any other animal under the laws of this state pertaining to game animals.

This means that if you have some dog meat (or carcass) and "intend" to eat it, then you are breaking the law (until you eat the meat). And if you get a dog "with the intent" of killing the animal to eat it, it's illegal. But if you have no intent, and just decide to kill the dog, then decide later to eat it, it's not clear that just the fact of eating dog meat is illegal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/loupiote/sets/1652923/
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 07:58 am
My dogs are a bit bony and muscular. It'd be a long long stew.

My understanding is that canines that are being raised for eating are treated much like any other farm animal - kept fairly inactive and harvested young, so they're still tender.

In principle, I've got nothing against it. Cow, duck, pig, horse, dog - what is the difference?
0 Replies

Mr Nice

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 08:13 am
chicken and fish? Yes
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 08:15 am
It might be a way to honor your pet, if you're so inclined. It was a running joke with Daizey the Chow Chow.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 08:20 am
Tons of squirrels, rabbits, heron, ducks, geese, swans in my back. Soups on.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 08:26 am
meat is meat

If I need it, I will eat it.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 08:36 am
love to eat ...cat. :wink:
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 08:42 am
Re: Would you eat your pets?
Chumly wrote:
First the goldfish, then the cat, then the dog.

If you got hungry enough.

If I was hungry enough then I would have to assume they would be equally hungry. I would win if it came down to us looking at each other as meat.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 09:26 am
I was ready to type a loud, passionate spiel about how I could never, ever, ever eat a pet of mine...and then JPB comes along and puts it all into perspective.

Dammit.

:wink:
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 09:36 am
Smile hey, chica ~~ good to see you.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 02:08 pm
You, too. You guys keeping warm up there?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 02:10 pm
I thought about changing my avatar back to normal, but it's too cold to think about wandering around A2K without any clothes.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 02:16 pm
Dadpad wrote:
Quote:
love to eat ...cat.

HA!

And yes, I'd eat a pet..................................if it come down to that. I'm not a big meat eater anyways, so I could live without.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 05:12 pm
My pets are like family. No, not a cliche, it is true. I don't, however, have any pigs or cows that I look upon as family, so chow down.

If my dog and I were both hungry enough, I think that rather than looking at each other as lunch, we would make a good team in searching out edible delicacies.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 05:14 pm
Stinky will eat me while I sleep....(I am certain of this)
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 08:23 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 08:31 pm
Oh no!! The minute you name a pet, you can't eat it any longer.

Even Babe would be hard act to swallow!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Would you eat your pets?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/15/2024 at 06:46:43