Weird Attractions

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:28 am
I'm in love with Textiles.

Yeah, I don't know why and would appreciate any understanding you may have of this desire to surround myself with fabrics and colors. I don't mean your basic cotton prints at JoAnns. I'm talking bed covers, upholstery shops, and even furniture stores where you can browse the coverings and select your combinations for seating and throws. I'm attracted to not just the colors, but also the textures and moods they reflect.

(Now that I've said it, it seems even more weird.)

What about you? Anything strange that you enjoy or find yourself attracted to for an unknown reason?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,003 • Replies: 58
No top replies

vid

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:35 am
I'm also into coverings and cushions.

It got so bad at one stage that, when I was evicted and had all my furniture thrown out back in the 80's, I quickly made a set of seat covers to match the street.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:36 am
I don't think that weird at all squin.

It's your immediate environment, and should make your feel good.

I'm all about colors and textures too. I love having a rich palate of earth tones with splashes of jewel tones to excite my senses.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:36 am
Nothing weird about that at all. It's part of our creative nature as humans. I also love natural fibers, as well as handmade pottery, paintings, stone, well crafted furniture etc. I think it would be odd not to want to be surrounded by such things. It goes back to our days of painting the walls of a cave or carving little fetishes. Humans appreciate beauty and with it we create a feeling of home.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:37 am
Laughing

We should go shopping.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:37 am
Squinney
Squinney, I have this strange attraction to people with a love of fabrics.

Does that make me odd, too?

BBB

http://www.bellebags.com/_gfx_/images/fabric-samples.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:40 am
My idea of heaven might be the F & S textile store on Pico in LA. Ohhhhh..

Then there was a store in Parma, that as luck would have it, was closed. So I just stood at the window for a long time...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:42 am
Oh, and all that Green Witch said.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:43 am
I guess what seems weird about it is that I save catelogs (The Co. Store and Pottery Barn etc) to flip through time and again just to see the pretty colors. For years I lugged a huge box of fabrics to each new home. I had nothing to do with the fabric. I just liked it, bought it and kept it. Now and then I'd look through, but didn't use it for anything.

Pre-marriage and kids, I would only sign a 6 month lease so I could change my environment and "re-design" my living space more often.

I'm looking through a catalog now, dreaming. The christmas tree comes down, the new year begins, seems like I should be re-nesting.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:46 am
I'm all about usable textiles.

The hamburgers know that my favourite souvenir/gift from anywhere is a textile I can use. I'm not much into decorative stuff, but give me a nice woven/knit/embroidered anything that I can use and I'll be giddy giddy.

I'd rather have a cotton tea towel from Costa Rica than an expensive decorator bowl/standing-around-to-be-dusted-thingie from anywhere.

~~~

I'm a toucher when it comes to clothing stores. I walk along the racks, touching everything. I don't stop til something feels good - then I look at colour/cut/fabric - then I look at style/size/cost.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:47 am
BBB - You are a tease. Very Happy

Hours in front of shop windows. YES! Bear had no idea how or why I lost track of time in such places.

For those that love architecture, music, etc, I'm wondering what makes the distinction between what we are drawn to.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:51 am
ehBeth wrote:

The hamburgers know that my favourite souvenir/gift from anywhere is a textile I can use. I'm not much into decorative stuff, but give me a nice woven/knit/embroidered anything that I can use and I'll be giddy giddy.

I'd rather have a cotton tea towel from Costa Rica than an expensive decorator bowl/standing-around-to-be-dusted-thingie from anywhere.

~~~

I'm a toucher when it comes to clothing stores. I walk along the racks, touching everything. I don't stop til something feels good - then I look at colour/cut/fabric - then I look at style/size/cost.

Yes! Exactly! The touching of clothing is way more important than looking at the style or size tag. It has to pass the feel test first.

Costa Rican tea towel? <thunk>
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 12:00 pm
we're all attracted to something. I would as soon shave my ass with a rusty tuna can as go shopping UNLESS it's at a music store or a place that sells lighting and sound gear, or a boat show and then I can get as lost as squinney or anyone else.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 12:08 pm
Squinney, you're an artist. Why don't you know why you're drawn to color and texture and shape and all of those wonderful visual and sensorial things?

I love all of that too. Love to touch things. But I'm particularly drawn to geometrics. Straight lines, squares and right angles. I absolutely cannot explain it but no matter what, I will select squares, boxes and right angles to curves every time, hence my car (an Element) and most all of our furniture. Even my style as a graphic designer leans towards the linear. I have to force myself to break out of the box (hee-hee) and work more flowingly. My husband teases me about it all the time. He tells everyone, "if it's square, she'll like it."
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 12:11 pm
You know what I like?

Stationary stores.

All that clean pristine paper.

thinking about it right now, I think it's about all that unleased potential.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 12:13 pm
Chai wrote:
You know what I like?

Stationary stores.

ooooh handmade paper, pretty pens, and ink in bottles - I'm with ya.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 12:16 pm
eoe wrote:
Straight lines, squares and right angles.

That's me when it comes to furniture. I can't tolerate carvings and junk on furniture. I want things mission-style or similarly clean-lined.

(and I love the concept of the Element)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 12:22 pm
ehBeth wrote:

~~~

Me too!

Probably my biggest/ favorite christmas present this year was a stack of 4 new (from India, ferried by a native) saris -- 2 silk, 2 cotton. Absolutely gorgeous.

Then my mom stopped at the Crate and Barrel outlet in Naperville on the way here and bought some Marimekko fabric for me -- just scraps, 95 cents each. Perfect for making pillow covers for the couch. I used to love getting fabric scraps at that outlet -- the "scraps" were often at least 1.5 yards by 1 yard (wide fabric).

Stationery stores are nice too!! And really good wrapping paper.

I like curves and carved antiques though. And again color -- sunshine on a really beautiful old walnut or oak piece of furniture, love it. Or cherry! I have a mission-style cherry headboard, handmade, quarter-sawn with that wavy grain, when a sunbeam hits it right it's sublime.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 12:26 pm
I like what lighting can do... texture, mood, color, stationary or moving sets and maintains mood....I love setting up a big light show and then stepping back and watching what it does to an area....
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 12:28 pm
Green Witch wrote:
Chai wrote:
You know what I like?

Stationary stores.

ooooh handmade paper, pretty pens, and ink in bottles - I'm with ya.

Me too. I buy journals and datebooks and never use them. It's the bound book itself that I have to have. And boxes, trunks, containers made of wood, metal, paper, basket weave, anything, as long as it's got a lid on it. It's like I see a beautifully detailed box or a fine leatherbound journal and go into a trance or something.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Weird Attractions
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/15/2024 at 09:24:05