Black pets less likely to be adopted

squinney

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 06:19 pm
Cats? I can see the black cat superstition coming into play.

Black dogs though? If it is true, maybe it has more to do with shedding. Cats self groom. Dogs do not and the black hair would drive me crazy!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 06:39 pm
Whatever you do, don't post pictures. Daughter moved out a couple of months ago and took her (my!) dog with her. I finally have most of the hair out of the house.

But, I'm feeling weak from reading this thread. Almost googled the local shelter to see who is available for adoption.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 01:22 am
Yeah, the hair! My cat is a black long hair, and that means a lot of hair of everywhere. Even with lots of grooming by herself and moi.

I finally get the white as snow duvet I've wanted not too long ago - it is officially speckled with black.

I have a weakness for older, short hair, plain mixed cats. When this cat was originally dropped off at my place - being yet a youngster, and with long black hair, and to top it all off a Diva/Princess in personality, I won't lie, it took us some time to bond.

Now I wouldn't give her up for anything. What a bonus to me as a person who likes animals as they grow older, that it's how nature goes. She just keeps getting better, and sweeter.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 12:27 pm
I'm very tempted to dye my next pet navy blue.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 12:57 pm
roland is black black black..so black he's shines blue.

we're living within the next 5 minutes to go pick up a new son...5 months old, 95% black with a bit 'o white.

roland never goes outside, but at halloween we are especially careful. There are some of sick f*cks out there who'd love to get hold of a black cat on halloween for kicks.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 12:59 pm
Noddy - Laughing And, when you change the coverlet to... purple?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 01:31 pm
Chai wrote:
roland is black black black..so black he's shines blue.

we're living within the next 5 minutes to go pick up a new son...5 months old, 95% black with a bit 'o white.

roland never goes outside, but at halloween we are especially careful. There are some of sick f*cks out there who'd love to get hold of a black cat on halloween for kicks.

Yup - I'm always a little nervous for my boys on Halloween, and glad they are strictly inside cats.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 01:41 pm
Squinney--

I'll simply dress and decorate with the pet in mind.

Navy becomes me. Browns and tans.....not really....
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 04:56 am
Chai, what is your new son's name? Have you always had boy cats?

My cats have always been girls. No real reason. Just how it worked out.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:02 am
Is it possible that the gene for black fur is dominant--and therefore the shelter population reflects the gene pool of the general population?
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:05 am
Hmm. I didn't think of that! Saying that the ratio of black cats to other cats is high, maybe?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 10:26 am
mushypancakes wrote:
Chai, what is your new son's name? Have you always had boy cats?

My cats have always been girls. No real reason. Just how it worked out.

Well, it took some time for the new kid to give us his name.

We named roland after Stephen King's Roland DesChain, the gunslinger. We were hoping this one would tell us his name was something like Eddie, or Jake, or even Randall.

But, he finally told us his name was otis.

Re males...no, roland was our/my first male. Before them was dr. lulu abramowitz, simi, and jezebel (who's still here).
0 Replies