$40.00 Coupon Towards TV Converter Boxes

fishin

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 08:54 pm
galateasc wrote:
Here's another option. Go on eBay and look for old Sony (and others) HD200 or HD300 DirecTV (D*) early model HD receivers. They are very good at receiving HD signals from an antenna AND they still work with D* (sorta). These have coax, RCA, S-video, and component out jacks so they will work with just about any TV sold in the last 20 years.

Wouldn't this require satellite service? Even with a UHF/VHF cable plugged in, the satellite receiver would not allow scrolling of channels and would be stuck on a menu screen because the satellite signal allows you to proceed beyond the menu screen. Or am I wrong about this and you can use an old satellite receiver as a converter, even without subscription satellite service?

You don't need Sat. Service. The older DirectTV boxes he was referring to have both Sat. Converters and ATSC (digital) converters built into them.

You can get into the menu and do all of the configuration necessary without any Sat. Service.

But, IMO, it's a poor choice as far as options go. DTV converters on available and street prices are ranging from $49 to $65. With the $40 coupon your out-of-pocket expenses can be as little as $10. (I suspect the prices won't drop below that $49 mark until the coupons expire. Then they'll plummet and you'll be able to pick one up for $10 without needing a coupon.)
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 09:11 pm
au1929 wrote:
Acording to what I just heard on the radio the cost of a converter will be about $70 and congress has bugeted 1 BILLION $ to fund the $40 coupons.

roger wrote:
Government subsidized because television is such a great big necessity.

They made over 19 billion by freeing up that spectrum and auctioning it to tech companies to be put to much better use so I wouldn't worry about spending a billion updating TV sets. They aren't doing so to subsidize TV, but because their decision made a lot of expensive paper weights (or aquariums if you do what I think you should do with them).

This is one of the better ideas (requiring digital broadcasts and re-purposing the spectrum) the U.S. government has had and the biggest fault I can find with it is in being late to do so. Wireless in the U.S. is far far behind nations like Japan and South Korea and is one of the most important new technology fronts.

This move opens up a lot of new possibilities for innovation in wireless data transmission and new wireless networks and the U.S. really needs it with it's outdated telcos and their old-world business models.

The "last mile" monopoly many companies have is a drag on innovation and the economy. Wireless can eliminate the "last mile" monopoly.
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 04:29 pm
Get Your Free Coupons Here!

DTV Transition and the Coupon Program
https://www.dtv2009.gov/

What is the digital television transition?
At midnight on February 17, 2009, all full-power television stations in the United States will stop broadcasting in analog and switch to 100% digital broadcasting. Digital broadcasting promises to provide a clearer picture and more programming options and will free up airwaves for use by emergency responders.
What is the TV Converter Box Coupon Program?
Congress created the TV Converter Box Coupon Program for households wishing to keep using their analog TV sets after February 17, 2009. The Program allows U.S. households to obtain up to two coupons, each worth $40, that can be applied toward the cost of eligible converter boxes.
A TV connected to cable, satellite or other pay TV service does not require a TV converter box from this program.

Consumers have a variety of options. Options to explore include:
Keep your existing analog TV and purchase a TV converter box. A converter box plugs into your TV and will keep it working after Feb. 17, 2009, or
Connect to cable, satellite or other pay service, or
Purchase a television with a digital tuner.
0 Replies