electric vs. propane

jclbiz

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 06:49 pm
For an RV,, Is a 1500 W elect heater or a propane furnace more efficiency?
Thats W/ elect. @ 085 and propane @ $3.00 per Gal.

Also, does their exist a small "heat pump" that can use ambient air to heat/cool an RV? ie; portable?

Tnx. jclbiz Question
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,583 • Replies: 8
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 01:20 am
Need to know
1. consumption (gals /hr) and
2. heat output (watts) of propane heater.
3. calorific value of propane.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm/Outdoor-and-RV-Accessories/RV-Maintenance/RV-Air-Conditioners/Evaporative-Portable-Air-Conditioner-and-Heater-with-Heat-Pump-Technology/skunum=33990

http://images.campingworld.com/is/image/CWI/3000/33990n.jpg
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 01:39 am
Well the question is not so easily addressed with such few variables because you pay a lot more for an electrical hookup at an RV site than one without.

The bottom line is that propane is the more convenient way for cooking and heating in most instances. Lighting on the other hand is best supplied electrically.

IMHO it's really more a question of practicality and convenience with costs being secondary.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 05:37 am
I can answer this without math. As an RV owner and full-timer for three years I can pretty safely say that the electric is the way to go. We only noticed a few dollars more per month running electric heat, but during really cold times (winter in PA) we'd go through two 15-lb cylinders in two weeks. That's 15 gallons, or $45 every 2 weeks.

The propane heaters are very inefficient. They blow a flame over a heat exchanger, and the exhuast carries most of the heat out the side of the RV. Its hot enough that you'll burn your hands if you put them in the stream of exhaust, whereas the hot air coming out of the floor vents inside won't.

Not scientific, but I can safely say, use the electric.

Also, don't assume you can run either kind of heat and expect pipes to remain unfrozen. Winterize it the same time you would if you weren't running the heat. Ask me how I know Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 06:10 am
wow curtis, youre a full-timer. Weve toyed with this idea but keep chickening out cause we like the farm to come back to . Ive never made the choice to go all electric or all gas, when we travel our gas system heats water in the tank, when we get to our place, we pretty much go all electric. The AC system is equipped with a pretty good resistance heating system that comes out the same vents as the AC.

The electric bill for our camp in Maine is usually about 120to 150 a month for the summer months we stay up there.
We have the 40 lb gas tanks and two years ago , in September the electricity failed in the grid somewhere in the state. SO we had to use the tanks , as a full time operation for running the 6KW on board generator as well as heat, refrigerator and water. We found that, when we rely on gas to do everything, they last just under 2 weeks for the 2. Our gas is delivered by the Dead River Gas Co, and they charge us about 130 $ for the two or . Im sure we are paying for the delivery service but Im not gonna be undoing the gas tank slide out and schlepping these missiles to the store every 2 weeks. However, weve found out that "dry docking" with very little cutting back on electricity needs can be furnished by the propane (we cant run the microwave, TV and some kitchen appliance like a toaster oven all at once however) itll trip .

Contrex, Hownhell does that evaporative unit mount? where is it supposed to be setup?, in the AC vent? what if youve got 2 AC units. 12K btu wont do it when its really hot or really cold. Our unit is about 36ft living space.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 07:59 am
farmerman wrote:
Ive never made the choice to go all electric or all gas, when we travel our gas system heats water in the tank, when we get to our place, we pretty much go all electric. The AC system is equipped with a pretty good resistance heating system that comes out the same vents as the AC.

I haven't had my RV for all that long but I'm in the same boat. Thusfar about half of the places I've taken it to have electric hookups so there really isn't any choice for me but to go with "both". If I parked it on a perm site or only went to commercial campgrounds it would be easier to say that I'd go all electric for heating just for the convience factor alone.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 09:00 am
savin gas for the "road". We took our last RV (a bus) out to the Black Hills and we were almost entirely gas support and generator assist. In that unit, the generator was kinda loud diesel. In this unit, the propane gennie is very quiet.
0 Replies

jclbiz

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 03:13 pm
Thanks to all!!
What a cute little unit that "heat pump"
If I can find the kwh consump for a 1500w heater then we'd have it to the penny. But I use somewhat over a gallon of propane (3.00 a gal) in one day. Ambient 28-45 appox.

jclbiz Very Happy
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 03:44 pm
I guess my post depends on whether you go camping or pull a big RV.

We go camping, so often enough it's off the beaten track, no electric hookup, no sewer hookup, we don't use generators, we don't have tons of space to heat.

For us propane lasts a long time and is convenient. Battery / inverter for a bit of 120 VAC.
0 Replies