Lovatts Jan BIG

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 05:17 pm
Hi all abletoknow connections I am stuck with 1 clue in Lovatts Jan Demon namely 24 across the clue is outlying fort and I Have RE?O?A? so cant find this anywhere.Have crosschecked all the connecting down clues and all seem to be correct.Your help would be appreciated.
Taffyphil
29-12-07.
Happy New Year to all.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 940 • Replies: 7
No top replies

lmur

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 05:56 pm
Hi taffyphil and welcome to A2K,

Couldn't find an answer that fits in with the letters provided. The closest I
could find is REDOUBT. From Merriam-Webster:

Of course, for that to be correct, the answer yielding "A" would have to be wrong! Hope someone can confirm or otherwise.

Happy New Year!
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 06:13 pm
Hi taffyphil

Welcome to a2k.

The submission by lmur is correct. "REDOUBT" is the answer.

For 17d you should have "DUBAI".

Hope this helps. Happy New Year.
0 Replies

taffyphil

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 11:04 pm
lovatts jan BIG /demon
Hi all to save you scratching your heads searching for my last request in which I asked for the answer to outlying fort where I had RE?O?A? the answer is in fact REDOUBT and the answer to 17 down is in fact DUBAI not ABU DHABI as I had first thought.Problem solvered.
0 Replies

mrsgreen663

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 10:24 pm
taffyphil... in most crosswords it will actually state if an answer is 2 words, so you could have crossed abu dhabi off before you even put it in :wink:
0 Replies

emmakate

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 07:44 pm
I was wondering if I could please post a question regarding BIGCASH from Lovatts January Big 179?

I am not happy with 2 answers that i currently have. 45d Deliberately sink (7 letters). I have ?C?T?LE and wrote scuttle. Also 105d Shut loudly (4 letters). I have ?L?M and wrote slam. Neither of these words seem to mean the same as the clue, so I was after someone else's opinion, please. Thank you very much. Emma-kate.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 07:50 pm
Hi emmakate.

Welcome to a2k.

Both yours answers are ok. I've completed my Big and found the answers in my Chambers Big Crossword Dictionary.

Good Luck with your entry.
0 Replies

mrsgreen663

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 08:50 pm
Hi emmakate, welcome to A2K! I also have those 2 answers and have found dictionary references to them.
0 Replies