archaeologists discovered charred bone

tintin

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 10:10 am
In Swartkans territory, archaeologists discovered charred bone fragments dating back one million years. Analysis of the fragments, which came from a variety of animals, showed that they had been heated to temperatures no higher than those produced in experimental campfires made from branches of white stinkwood, the most common tree around Swartkans.

i dont understand the meaning of that bold colored text.

it seems to me they are trying to say .

the heated temperature is NOT higher than ....blah blah Sad

dont understand that blah blah stuff
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,667 • Replies: 22
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 10:21 am
Maybe this is a scholarly attempt to suggest, from an evidentiary basis, that 1 million year old hominids had control of fire and fire roasted their meat.
Dont know cause its hard to guess from just an out of context statement.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 10:28 am
It could also mean that they are only trying to explain the amount of charring these specimens experienced.. Which would mean they were only burned at the heat of a normal camp fire and nothing more.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 10:33 am
The caves at SwartkRans have been studied since R Dart came up with his "man the Hunter" hypothesis. These caves have been long suggested that pre Homo hominids were in control of several human-like tools. AT least as early as 0.5 MY we have good evidence that humans used fire. This statement gave me the hint that this batch of acrcheologists wants to take it even farther back. I dont know. Several suggested hypotheses emerge.
0 Replies

tintin

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 11:02 am
it says " temperature no higher than"

what it means ?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 11:18 am
I think that theyre saying that the bones were charred in a fashion that indicated they may have been charred in a small low temperature fire similar to that seen in a campfire (of which they actually experimented by recording temperatures from test campfires made of stinkwood).
Sometimes earth scientists lead off with data before they make their points. Do you have the entire article? read the abstract and the summary. Everything in between is for those who wish to duplicate the findings
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 12:07 pm
The cutting edge of science!

Sounds more like playtime for well-heeled and well-connected offspring to me.

It's one way of avoiding the difficulties of the social revolution whilst maintaining a reassuring sense of self-importance.

What's the "Man the hunter" hypothesis? I thought the cave painters had done that 15,000 years ago.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 12:23 pm
Im afraid youd refuse to understand spendi. Time for John SMith to make his daily visit, did you get anything for Boxing Day , like the masters throw outs and scraps of meat?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 12:53 pm
tintin wrote:
it says " temperature no higher than"

what it means ?

just what it says - the temperature go no higher than the temperature you'd find in a typical campfire ...

ie. it was not from a forest fire or volcanic eruption.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 02:30 pm
fm wrote-

Quote:
Im afraid youd refuse to understand spendi. Time for John SMith to make his daily visit, did you get anything for Boxing Day , like the masters throw outs and scraps of meat?

Oh- I understand alright fm. I've seen "digs" from the inside. All those intense female assistants thinking they are nearly scientists.

I watch when the cameras are turned off.

It's just a job creation scheme for all those who think proper work is demeaning.

There is a wider picture you know. There's "funds" for a start. Which is to say patronage. The French did a revolution or two to stop such things bringing them to penury.

"Charred bones" --I ask you? Sorry--"bone".
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 06:09 pm
And there's a turkey on a spit in the bottom oven, the top one being an energy saving device for nutrient in shallow throwaway trays, which is partly powered by the Grand Coolie Dam and the modern scientist is filing his final thesis on a charred bone of indeterminate age (well not knowing if its a million years old or half a million years old is pretty indeterminate I think) with a view to proving that our distant ancestors had found a wombat caught up in a grass fire to be very tasty apart from the bits of bone that had got charred which s/he had discarded as inedible.

There's more science in garbage bins.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 06:19 pm
Middens were one of SChleimans favorite places to look for ancient beer cans.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 06:32 pm
Analytical chemists who work in sewage plants are keen to bet on election results and have enough sense to not try to win too much for fear of drawing attention to themselves.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 07:11 pm
Im sure that your last post was really witty but I seem to have an urgent need for a haircut, see ya.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 06:48 am
Quote:
Peter Spengler1, Wolfgang Körner2, and Jörg W. Metzger1

1. Institute of Sanitary Engineering, Water Quality and Solid Waste Management, University of Stuttgart, Bandtäle 2, D-70569 Stuttgart, Germany, 2. Institute of Organic Chemistry, University of Tübingen, Auf der Morgenstelle 18, D-72076 Tübingen, Germany

Options:

Create Reference
Email this Article
Search Google Scholar for:

Peter Spengler
Wolfgang Körner
Jörg W. Metzger
A gas chromatography/mass spectrometry method for the simultaneous quantitative determination of natural and synthetic estrogens (17β-estradiol, estrone, 17α-ethinylestradiol, and mestranol), phytoestrogens (genistein and β-sitosterol), and xenoestrogens (benzyl butyl phthalate, dibutyl phthalate, bisphenol A, 4-nonylphenol [NP], 4-nonylphenoxyacetic acid [NP1EC], 4-nonylphenol diethoxylate [NP2EO], and α-endosulfan) in effluents of sewage treatment plants (STPs) was developed. Identification and quantification were carried out with the standard addition method using analyte-specific and, in some cases, deuterium-labeled internal standards. The effluents of 18 STPs were investigated. Apart from α-endosulfan and mestranol, all selected substances were detected in the majority of samples. The median concentrations of steroidal estrogens were between 0.4 ng/L (17α-ethinylestradiol) and 1.6 ng/L (17β-estradiol). The metabolites of the nonylphenol polyethoxylates, NP, NP1EC, and NP2EO were found in concentrations ranging from the upper-ng/L-range (NP) to the lower-μg/L range (NP1EC). For all substances except mestranol and α-endosulfan, median values were calculated and compared to the results of other investigations in Europe and the United States. Possible dependencies of measured concentrations on the geographical location, the capacity, the influent composition, and the technical fitting of the STPs are discussed.

Did you get a blow-wave or a short back and sides fm?

Some people think that natural and synthetic estrogens getting through the treatment plants and into drinking water is the cause of the declining sperm count.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 07:08 am
boy, I never made the connection between your previous post (re" sewage plant operators betting on elections, and your following post Re;estrogen imitators-Ill take it that neither did you )

Yes, thats a topic that has had our attention here in the Chesapeake Bay watershed for about 10 years. The biggest issue is the rise in chronic conditions and Autism .

The lead culprit, according to the Journal, Environmental Toxicology is detergent ingredients ABS LABS, NaLS, and other surfactants. pparently these chemicals bond and adsorb onto surfaces of natural organic nanoparticles in the estuary and create these EI's.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 08:46 am
fm wrote-

Quote:
boy, I never made the connection between your previous post (re" sewage plant operators betting on elections, and your following post Re;estrogen imitators-Ill take it that neither did you )

Of course I had made the connection unless you have a connection I haven't in which case I'll be glad to hear it.

There's trends enshrined in sewage analysis. Stuff is trucked into a town and stuff is pumped out. It's almost a closed system.

Bob said- the town has no need to be nervous.

They can tell how nervous it is I should think by now.

It's a good idea for a story. An atheist sewage technologist with a passion for going where no man ever went before like a true scientist who ends up, after as good a laugh as you can make it, the Chief of UN Technology (Sewage). He dies during an earthquake when he's inspecting a plant he's designed in the outer-regions and is drowned in effluent but has enough time to ask for forgiveness.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 09:37 am
Maybe thats your problem here spendi. You assume that your superiority allows a mere toying with we mortals. If the connection between the thread was obvious, I cant find its thread, so Im assuming that one had nothing to do with the second. The subjects werent even related. Now, had you opened discussions re: EI's, youd find many people herein quite knowledgeable and therefore able to discuss the subject with expertise.
Perhaps , discussion is what you desire least. In that case, why not go and start your own thread and baffle us all, Id certainly jump in when I could. Right now youve hijacked another thread , I hope you didnt manage to scare off the author.
Quote:
Of course I had made the connection unless you have a connection I haven't in which case I'll be glad to hear it

Id really like to know where the connection is and how your mind selects these things. Fascinating.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 12:03 pm
fm-

I was merely fleshing out the irrelevance of the "charred bone" and showing that real scientists are working on much more important matters.

That rooting around in caves for charred bones in order to start an argument about what they once were and how they got charred masquerading as science is a discredit to science. No doubt the archeologists as they are known on this thread were pointed towards the site and analyse their findings using machines they could never have thought up or designed. It is a science forum after all and defending science from dilution to the point where nearly everyone knows a few scientists is well in order.

But I'll admit I don't know about the funding. I assume what usually takes place took place on this occasion. The first post just put the best possible outward appearence which you can't seriously expect a scientist to swallow like a kid seeing a disappearing rabbit. Do you know the process of this particular enquiry?

So I thought I would contrast it with a scientific approach to waste disposal used in modern society which is presumably of some use to us.

But here you are again trying to lay down the law about how the discussion should proceed.

The two posts were related but in a somewhat complicated way.

It might help if you remembered that viewers on here are not your colleagues and that memos to them are difficult for us. "EI's" for eg.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 01:08 pm
spendi
Quote:
I was merely fleshing out the irrelevance of the "charred bone" and showing that real scientists are working on much more important matters.

. So, I take it that you have declared yourself the Vetter-in-Chief of what is, or is not important in science.
Thomas Edison, it had been said, spent 2000 attempts at finding the proper filament for lightbulbs when he discovered carbon makes a proper filament. Further work discovered the cintered metal tungsten works even better and tantalum, among the best. Imagine the dull day-to-day drudgery of coming in, looking for filamentous material, making notes, discarding previous attempts, and learning about the properties of incandescence.

Maybe we have to look beneath the prosaic to determine the meat of much research. Not the stuff of poets , but only because many poets dont look closely enough at the prosaic in order to redefine it.
To be gifted with your abilities to see through these charlatan archeologists , youre obviously a product of a special education.
0 Replies