Cool....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 960 • Replies: 16
No top replies

parados

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 08:41 am
You kids go play in the basement but stay away from the nuclear reactor.
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 02:34 pm
As much as I love clean, cheap energy, this sounds dangerous, and considering the fact that some countries aren't allowed to have nuclear power, I don't see how this will ever be commercially available.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 02:45 pm
Vengoropatubus wrote:
As much as I love clean, cheap energy, this sounds dangerous, and considering the fact that some countries aren't allowed to have nuclear power, I don't see how this will ever be commercially available.

In other words, you didn't bother to read the article....
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 11:27 pm
No, I read the article, and I wonder which part of my post you disagree with. You see, this is being marketed for commercial use, and although it doesn't blow up on its own, it contains nuclear material, and nuclear material is generally pretty hard to get your hands on.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 08:16 am
All "nuclear materials" are not created equal.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 08:18 am
interesting
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 09:45 am
Where is the flux capacitor?
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 11:22 am
Neato--self shielding

Wonder what is the fuel, the enrichment, and the cleanup---meaning I wonder if it could be completely contained and palletized so cleanup could occur in cleanrooms. BTW it could be direct electrical like the plutonium batteries used in deep space probes (eg a fast moving ion can be converted directly to current ala Michael Faraday).

About all I could determine from what was said was that the unit cost would be about $3.5M.

Rap
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 05:04 pm
DrewDad wrote:

Oh, well then I'm sorry I missed the part of the article where they said the reactor core was made out of some magical radioactive substance that can only be converted from mass into energy in a controlled manner. Oh wait, that's not in the article...

Let's ponder what this miraculous substance might be... sugar spice and everything nice perhaps?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 07:17 am
1.2GW!!! What was I thinking???

http://www.sciencepunk.com/v5/gallery/emmetbrown.jpg
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 02:28 am
Vengoropatubus wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

Oh, well then I'm sorry I missed the part of the article where they said the reactor core was made out of some magical radioactive substance that can only be converted from mass into energy in a controlled manner. Oh wait, that's not in the article...

Let's ponder what this miraculous substance might be... sugar spice and everything nice perhaps?

I'm not sure what your point is, here. Are you concerned about accidents, deliberate misuse, or nuclear weapons?

As for accidents or misuse, I don't see that the danger is any greater than a conventional power plant. The nuclear weapon issue is completely non-starting, as they're smart enough not to use anything that could be weaponized.
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 03:07 pm
I'm talking about deliberate misuse of nuclear materials. You don't need weaponized nuclear material to make a dirty bomb.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 04:34 pm
There are a lot easier ways to get nuclear material than from a basement nuclear reactor.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 04:47 pm
parados wrote:
There are a lot easier ways to get nuclear material than from a basement nuclear reactor.

From nuclear medicine waste from a hospital maybe? Always been suspect of the lack of security and accountability there.

Rap
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 04:51 pm
Didn't the administration accuse someone of masterminding building a dirty bomb because he had over 100 smoke alarms in his possession?
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 06:54 pm
Americium 241 is a radioactive material, but even 100 smoke detectors has nowhere the activity of one good cobalt 60 source used in nuclear medicine. Not too big, 'cause sources above a certain activity (I don't remember the threshold) do require lock and chain documentation. The trick would be to get hold of several sources just below that threshold.

In Denmark during the early 80's a construction manager was murdered by his jealous wife by placing a cobalt 60 welding source under the driver's seat of his car---his gonads and rectum died first. Interesting enough he appealed for his wife clemency during the trial before he died.

Rap
0 Replies