Producing Hydrogen!

rosborne979

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 10:07 pm
Back when cars were first invented many people suggested that they would never catch on because they were rolling bombs filled with flammable liquid, and that you would need flammable liquid refueling stations on every street corner, and who could imagine such a preposterous thing (apparently horses were less likely to explode).

Now here we are, a hundred years later, same argument.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 02:55 pm
The Hindenburg disaster was caused by the buildup of static electricity that ignited the aluminum/iron oxide/ cellulose acetate paint on the fabric of the zepellin when it touched down to the tower.

http://www.seas.ucla.edu/hsseas/releases/blimp.htm
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 03:35 pm
Same as Mythbusters. Although it was determined that the initial ignition was static to hydrogen to paint compounds on the fabric. Remember, the Hindenburg was initially designed to use helium as the lifting gas.

As for the statement that hydrogen is safer than propane, I'm not so sure---I've familiar with far more hydrogen explosions resulting from inadequate ventilation during battery charging than I am with spontaneous propane explosions.

Rap
0 Replies